Popular Tags: [View All]
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.
Just got this game and the rules seem pretty intuitive.
I tried the intro mission eidleweis and the Germans seemed to completly trounce the Russians in two months they had no units left.
I don't think it helped they start with no armour.
Am I doing something wrong.
I understand that units can only reinforce one step each turn.
But the German armour seems to be able to inflict heavy losses quickly.
For the Russians part i played them not attacking just using air strikes and defending as I felt if they were to try and attack especially over a river it would be suicide so I thought best sit tight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't read too much into it - Edelweiss is meant as a "here's how the game mechanics work" scenario, it's not balanced in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried again.
I had forgotten the fact that the Russians have some cadres they can build and that only un engaged units can re enforce.
It's quite scary how quickly those hi units become in effective and costly to step up.
I am used to single man/squad level ww2 games really so this is quite educating for me and showing me a whole new aspect of the war. Supply.
The pacing is also quite different and gets the grey matter going.
Also getting used to the military symbology over the pretty little pictures of some of my other war games lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember the Edelweiss scenario specifically but I do know that when playing the Russians in east front it really helps to use the terrain to your advantage. Retreating to defend behind river lines and using rough terrain and forest to your advantage makes a huge difference through the game. And of course spamming cadres and reenforceing unengaged forces is the other big way of winning as the Russians. I can't tell you if the Edelweiss scenario is balanced though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried that scenario a few times now to get the rules down and I played the Russians only defending combats and remembered that you can only re enforce un engaged units etc.
This bought the Russians time as the hq units had to stall at times to get re supplied and this bought the russian valuable time. Also that only two units can join a combat each turn etc. yes in towns etc the Russians can be very hard to.
I recently watched a tv program about the use of blitzkrieg warfare now and in the Second World War and this game seems to do a great job of modeling the pros and cons of BK warfare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.