1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: End of the road for Talisman? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in light of the split between FF and GW (http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35468/fantasy-flight-game...), it seems Cataclysm is indeed the end.

Or might Talisman rise again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
achates wrote:

Well, for me, it's the end. I bought four editions of Talisman - I have now reached the end of the road meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achates wrote:
So in light of the split between FF and GW (http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35468/fantasy-flight-game...), it seems Cataclysm is indeed the end.

Some one will pick it up and reprint it.
It's a huge seller, and is obvious from the number of expansions released this edition.
The fact it has remained pretty much in-print for most of the time it has been around, a company would be stupid to not do a reprint.

I just have no idea whom that might be?

And just to add - this edition filled out very nicely. I for one probably won't buy another reprint. This edition was one of the best iterations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd actually consider buying an updated & improved version of the base game, and possibly also the Dungeon expansion. The art and some of the miniature sculpts were poor compared to later expansions in my view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just discussing with my wife the other day if FFG was done with Talisman, and that being the reason for the most recent expansion being the end-of-days themed Cataclysm... now i REALLY wonder if they knew the GW deal was going to end and decided to bring Tally to a conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
achates wrote:

Some one will pick it up and reprint it.
It's a huge seller, and is obvious from the number of expansions released this edition.
The fact it has remained pretty much in-print for most of the time it has been around, a company would be stupid to not do a reprint.

I just have no idea whom that might be?

And just to add - this edition filled out very nicely. I for one probably won't buy another reprint. This edition was one of the best iterations.

I highly doubt that someone else will pick it up other than GW. I bet this deal ended due to GW doing specialized board games again. Blood Bowl coming out again, etc. They didn't let FFG do miniatures cause they didn't want to compete with their own IP and I think this is the case with their boardgames now too. Just my speculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... time to grab up the corners I don't have yet, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only ever bought the Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Frostmarch Expansion and Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Reaper Expansion.

I guess I'll have to think really hard about whether to buy any more before the end of the line.

Tough though, as my group only plays it once, maybe twice a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will probably get yet another reprint soon, under GW. But honestly, the FFG version is so good, I don't think I'll buy any other version any time soon...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seriously doubting a reprint. Talisman needed the last reprint to bring it into the modern age of boardgaming. A reprint now makes little sense. The game has always been pretty big with several expansions, but this version is huge. They may remake it for a new generation, in 5-10 years, but I don't see people wanting to replace 3-5 hundred dollars of boardgame.

I don't have the last 4 expansions. Anybody have any opinions on those expansions? I'll probably get them to be completionist, and for the characters that are in them if nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:

I don't have the last 4 expansions. Anybody have any opinions on those expansions? I'll probably get them to be completionist, and for the characters that are in them if nothing else.

Harbinger is one of my favorite expansions. I really love the new mechanics it adds although it's not something you would want to include in every play.

I wasn't a big fan of Firelands. It's an expansion you will probably not want to mix in without some planning and trimming.

I didn't buy Woodlands or Cataclysm. The later expansion characters felt a bit too gimmicky and fiddly for my tastes but the Cataclysm board is beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I bought all the expansions, so I guess I won't have to buy any more now...

I may pick up another core set to replace some cards, a few of my core set cards are damaged (nearly folded in half). It's not much of an issue as there are so many cards now, but it would be nice to replace them before this edition is gone.

It had a good run though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I so nearly bought Cataclysm when I visited FFG when I went to the Minnesota state fair, but held off and bought Runebound expansions and bought the new pre-painted Arkham figures instead.

Wish I would have just picked it up now. Also, I am not sure which of the smaller ones I haven't gotten yet. I haven't had a chance to play any of them so I forget. Guess I'll have to look that all over this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I may still need the last 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Talisman and all its related exps, with the exception of Sacred Pool (14 left at time of this post), are gone from CSI. I've never seen that in its whole run. Hopefully this is just knee jerk reactionary buying from the masses and FFG will continue to print up to the Feb 28th kill date. I still need Cataclysm!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two weeks ago made an order to local online game shop. I was then considering Talisman: Cataclysm, but sadly decided to leave it later. After today's news I had to order again to avoid not missing Cataclysm completely. Would have preferred purchase it later with some to be released games to get free shipping easily. Now had to add sleeves to my purchase instead to get past free shipping threshold limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gray Deth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in a way, i'm glad they are ending their relationship. GW seems to be committed to making better board games.

and Talisman is great enough with all it's current expansions

(I will buy the 5th edition by GW if it comes out b/c I am weak.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping for maybe one more expansion for Talisman, similar in style to the Miskatonic expansion for Arkham Horror, with a few new cards for all the decks (base set and expansions). Including crossover cards, cards for the corner boards using the day/night mechanic from Blood Moon for example. Also had some more characters that had not been converted from the 1st edition or maybe from the video game. But regardless I think there is enough already that will keep me playing for years.

I do also think that sometime soon GW themselves will re-publish it probably re-themed to the Age of Sigmar setting. It will most likely have really nice miniatures, be really expensive and be hardly supported!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I went ahead and got Cataclysm from another site other than CSI so that completes my Talisman 4th ed collection. I've been so lax in rounding out the series and with Cataclysm looking like such a great addition I feel like a real slacker. But I guess it's a fitting way to bring it all to a close.

BTW, does anyone know if this will have any effect on the digital implementation of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Angel wrote:

GW themselves will re-publish it probably re-themed to the Age of Sigmar setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Angel wrote:

I do also think that sometime soon GW themselves will re-publish it probably re-themed to the Age of Sigmar setting.

They can sod off if they do that. Talisman is nothing to do with Warhammer, and it has elves, dwarfs, dragons and all the other non-trademarkable stuff that GW hates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomad Games confirmed the digital version on Steam and iPad will not be affected by FFG's loss of the license.

Though I'm wondering since they use FFG's art assets and design work that something will have to be worked out. The Season Pass on Steam says that it covers through Cataclysm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Nomad Games confirmed the digital version on Steam and iPad will not be affected by FFG's loss of the license.

Though I'm wondering since they use FFG's art assets and design work that something will have to be worked out. The Season Pass on Steam says that it covers through Cataclysm.

That was actually my very next question. I don't play the brick and mortar game, but I'm addicted to the iOS version. Is it possible that new expansions will come out for the digital version that never existed in the physical version? Maybe Talisman will live on digitally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
ScottE wrote:

That was actually my very next question. I don't play the brick and mortar game, but I'm addicted to the iOS version. Is it possible that new expansions will come out for the digital version that never existed in the physical version? Maybe Talisman will live on digitally.

I read it on the Steam forums so that's probably fairly reliable since it was definitely tagged from the developers.

And it's a brilliant digital implementation. I got it installed on my home and work PC's and since it has Steam Cloud support I can continue a game for weeks.

I sold my rather large Talisman physical collection last year (for a considerable loss) since we never played it and I realized it would be easier to get my friends to play on digital since it has cross-platform multiplayer. I guess I should of waited to sell it next year when the value skyrockets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also rushed to buy the last expansion, which I also had put off.

For those thinking that running out of a print hadn't happened in the past, it had many times, as there has been many printings of the expansions. One of the ones I picked up (a few years ago when I started buying my own copy) was between prints and hard to find, I forget which one though.

I was blessed to be an FFG beta tester, and joined because I have been a fan of Talisman since the 80's and beta testing Talisman was a dream come true. I beta tested 2 expansions.

In my opinion, many people liked Relic, and the "updated" Talisman mechanics. I liked it too, but was perfectly fine with Talisman 4th edition. But if someone took that Relic updated mechanic and put it into a 5th edition Talisman, it would be popular.

We have seen 3 companies work on Talisman, including Black Industries, so I think there should be company interest. And besides, perhaps Samuel Bailey will be available for such an edition, since he is no longer with FFG and has had a strong part of 4th edition. (Any thoughts Samuel?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.