Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2016/05/game-review-guideli...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that's the way things are going.

9-10 is considered "Satisfied"
1-5 is considered "Detractors"

It's been happening in the BGG ratings for a long time. People intentionally overrate games because they see a game they like less above it in the ranks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

+100thumbsup for this thread and the article.

This is literally the most fantastically amazing thing I have ever read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8.9/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had people ask why I gave a game I liked a 6 or 7.

Uh, because I liked it but it's not my FAVORITE GAME EVAH....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This takes me back to the 90s, where almost every video game had a score of 70% or higher unless it was outright glitchy. Ah, the playground debates where people would argue that game A was provably better because it has a score 2% higher than game B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Francois
Belgium
Bruges
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG wise of course, ratings tend to be a little bit off when there's not that many entries. However I still can relate to the majority of ratings I find on BGG. Using them as a general guideline for myself where mainly considering 6+ ish games as something I'd might want to check out.

Personally I've not yet rated any game I've played with a solid 10. A few are getting close, but I'm actually saving my 10 for that one game I've yet to play / discover and that doesn't have the slightest, even smallest remark after being played a couple of times.

I try to follow the text advise next to the ratings on BGG. Where I'd score a 4 to a game that's not my cup of tea, but still would play if the gaming group puts it on the table.

But yeah, as long as a rating reflects, one man's meat is another man's poison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I dunno.

I think personally for me Puerto Rico is my 10 out of 10 game. Although would I ever actually put that down on paper (or a rating system)? Not sure if I could.

Good link OP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Francois
Belgium
Bruges
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbcorp26 wrote:
I think personally for me Puerto Rico is my 10 out of 10 game.

I'll need to check out your potential 10 out of 10 game and put it on my want to play list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zepherion wrote:
robbcorp26 wrote:
I think personally for me Puerto Rico is my 10 out of 10 game.

I'll need to check out your potential 10 out of 10 game and put it on my want to play list!

I'm heavily biased towards it
- low luck potential
- doesn't need an expansion to fix anything (slight rules change if you want by the designer is all)
- was my first euro love

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Francois
Belgium
Bruges
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing! I'll stop hijacking the OP's thread cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I feel I'm the only one who rates things honestly on this site
Hey do you wanna play X game? I see you gave it an 8!.
No I hated that piece of crap!

If we're talking true 10's I give it to Mage Knight & KDM & Cave Evil. The themes and uniqueness just pull me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! I get it, it's a joke! Then it's awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will suggest to play any game 6+.

I will play (with people I like) any game 4+.

3 or lower, I would further enjoy the discussion of what game to play, why we should/shouldnt play that game than actually playing the game.

Most games I own hit the 7. Because I get (and keep) games I like.

Only Magic Realm gets a 10 (so far).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Oh! I get it, it's a joke! Then it's awesome!

What gave it away? The "10 Numbers That You Won’t Believe Are Less Than 11" article?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little off topic (though certainly the new of of the day), but apparently a pigeon has more to offer GW than FFG at this point...

http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2016/05/i-for-one-welcome-o...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's an example of where marketers are going generally. Take product reviews on Amazon for example - I posted something the other day in an attempt to raise awareness about what's happening there, even if only infinitesimally:

https://www.amazon.com/review/R1WJU9FUF4CMPD/ref=pe_1098610_...

This is yet another reason to make a GeekBuddy list and pay attention only to trusted sources. The admins are battling to keep them out, but there are too many Cylons and too few admins; breaches will become more commonplace here on BGG as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I think it's an example of where marketers are going generally. Take product reviews on Amazon for example - I posted something the other day in an attempt to raise awareness about what's happening there, even if only infinitesimally:

This is yet another reason to make a GeekBuddy list and pay attention only to trusted sources. The admins are battling to keep them out, but there are too many Cylons and too few admins; breaches will become more commonplace here on BGG as well.

Apparently that is going on with board games too. There are reviewers out there that are being compensated for the "review" and not divulging it. ...like, apparently Undead Viking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

I've actually had reviews pulled (or merely not approved) by Amazon that were not glowing or pointed out defects, and I've had seller feedback removed and replaced by Amazon when I pointed out the service or product was defective. I no longer trust any reviews on Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
I've actually had reviews pulled or merely not approved by Amazon that were not glowing or pointed out defects, and I've had seller feedback removed and replaced by Amazon when I pointed out the service or product was defective. I no longer trust any reviews on Amazon.

I know of a similar website which doesn't allow me to use words with a negative connotation, making it literally impossible for me to write a negative review there. And no, the site doesn't tell you what the gatekeeper AI considers too negative, only that it does. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game I like but isn't great is a 7

A game I think is medicore is a 5-6. The thing is though, I don't have patience for mediocre experiences. So very rarely do I keep or want to play 6's or 5's again.

A 6.5 is the "ehhh, I'll play it I guess." range.

8 is for games I think are great, 9 is for amazing, 10 are for my absolute favorites.

Anything below 4 is a game you would have to tie me down to play.

The thing is, I tend to research, and because I know what kind of games I like, I tend to only play games that end up in the 7-10 range for me.

Occasionally my research will find a game that it turns out I didn't actually like that much. But it is rare. (Terra Mystica :|)

EDIT: You know what, it is probably time to rerate some. I'm going to go through my games again and see if any have moved in my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being half-way serious, I always thought a 7-bin discrete rating scale (either 0-6 or 1-7) was enough to provide sufficient granularity for spending decisions without getting bogged down in relative-clusterf*ck-betwixt-6.5-and-8.5 territory. It also has the advantage that the mid-point is on a bin (4), rather than between them (as in a 1-10 system), which tends to lead to skewing upwards for the mean.

7 - great
6 - very good
5 - good
4 - average
3 - not very good
2 - poor
1 - utter crap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 19 point granularity of 1-10 with 0.5 intervals.

The reason why is it gives me more options when I'm facing "Oh I like this game more than this game, but less than this game..."

I mean, yes, you could do that infinitely if you really got picky, but I find 19 works.

Using 1-10 with 0.5 intervals also puts the middle point on the actual scale at 5.5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate games based on how much I like them. Memoir 44 and Formula D are 10s. I'm not going to change. I don't rate games for you, anyone or their overall score. If people rated games with how much they enjoyed playing them it would all even out 'in the wash'.

I don't use this site to rate the PERFECT game. My ratings are skewed because I tend to only buy games I am going to like. Why rate those as a 6 or 7 average?

Eh, maybe if I cared that imperial Assault was indeed better than Pandemic Legacy (which it is, maybe... 'Cause I haven't played PL) then I'd care if my ratings ever effected the rankings.

M - slightly sarcastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
I like the 19 point granularity of 1-10 with 0.5 intervals.

The reason why is it gives me more options when I'm facing "Oh I like this game more than this game, but less than this game..."

I mean, yes, you could do that infinitely if you really got picky, but I find 19 works.

Using 1-10 with 0.5 intervals also puts the middle point on the actual scale at 5.5.

I don't really agree.

I think that cuts to the heart of the problem with the system, which is that it's trying to solve for two different types of appraisal at the same time. Is the ratings system there to aid purchasing decisions / provide a quick-and-dirty judgement of quality-level (a sort-of absolute value), or is it there to place a game carefully and judiciously with respect to all other games (a sort-of relative value)?

I'd argue that, if it's the former, then 19 bins is waaaay too many (leading to the omnipresent 7.5 clustering and the sea-of-meaninglessness from 6.5-8.5) and, if it's the latter, then it's quite probably too few (although it could be argued that, in that instance you're trying to scalarize what's better described with a vector in a multidimensional space). Note: I'm not talking about the sort of personal rating that takes place on BGG (which is often much more carefully-weighted than the typical professional review); I'm talking about the type of magazine rating system and the resultant clusters that the original link is satirizing.

My proposition of a simpler, discrete, rating system is to force reviewers to treat the two notions differently, instead of trying to use the same scale for both purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.