Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anastasia M
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

*waves* much like the thread title says (very original, huh?) I'm a new user dropping by to say hello. Although I've been lurking roaming around the forums and the website for a while, I finally decided to register and start being.... erhm...social.

I currently reside in Dubai, UAE and I've been a casual on/off again tabletop gamer for years, at least until that thing called life & responsibilities took over. Back in college, my gaming background was mostly mIRC/live chat role playing and simming (I ran a few forum-based Star Trek simms for years).

Most of the board games I've owned until this year were based on TV shows I enjoyed watching (Firefly, Battlestar Galactica to name a few) and these were mostly the games I tended to play until folks I played with moved away. TBH, I have yet to play a decent game of Firefly the Board Game. However, Battlestar Galactica is definitely one of my faves to play, especially with fans of the show. I still try to re-watch the series at least once a year (same with Firefly).

This June marked my return to tabletop gaming on more than a casual basis after a friend of mine introduced me to one of the local table top gaming communities. This enabled me to expand my gaming horizons a tad more to see what I like outside my usual. Apparently, I enjoy all kinds of games, depending on my mood and time of day the games are played, not to mention the people I play with. But there have been a few favourites/of note games that I wouldn't mind playing again & again...

As someone who enjoys reading as well, Eldritch Horror is a game I enjoy playing due to HP Lovecraft's influence; although I don't own a copy of the game (yet!). Have also played the likes of Captain Sonar (very fun with 8 people), Timeline, Blood Rage (one of my faves that I'd like to play more often), Avalon, Guildhall, T.I.M.E. Stories, Quadropolis, Codenames, Dixit, Marvel Legendary, Imperial Assault (currently involved in a campaign) and others.

~Anastasia
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankAnastasia

Here are some guides to making the most out of the site:
Every-Gamer BGG Guides

And about that recommendation you didn't ask for:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anastasia M
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the welcome and the links, Liam. Much appreciated!

I have actually played a couple of the cases for Sherlock Holmes too. That as well as Arkham Investigator. These games need a quieter setting than our usual board game nights though, so sometimes we have to meet at a cafe in the evening on a weekday to play those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there. Welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello Anastasia, and welcome to BGG!

Since you are enjoying opportunities to expand your gaming experience, may I suggest that you check out some of the sites for free online play, like Yucata and BoiteAJeux. Just playing the games online is loads of fun, and some of us even make friends there that we play with for years, plus you may well discover games that you want to buy and play in real life too.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anastasia M
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the welcome ChipChuck & Indigopotter.

Gambiteer wrote:

Hello Anastasia, and welcome to BGG!

Since you are enjoying opportunities to expand your gaming experience, may I suggest that you check out some of the sites for free online play, like Yucata and BoiteAJeux. Just playing the games online is loads of fun, and some of us even make friends there that we play with for years, plus you may well discover games that you want to buy and play in real life too.

meeple

Hi Gambiteer, thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. I have not heard of those websites before, will definitely check them out! Always a pleasure making new friends that share common interests as well. At the moment the way I discover new games is at the tabletop meetings twice a week; I tend to play at least one new game so I don't get stuck in the rut of playing the same games over and over again. Besides, some games can get a bit intense, so one would need a cooldown/pallet cleanser game like Sea of Clouds, Splendour and so on afterwards.

What kind of games do you guys usually play ?

Any suggestions for games to try? Complexity doesn't matter, neither does time it takes to play a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDAllonsy wrote:
Hi Gambiteer, thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. I have not heard of those websites before, will definitely check them out! .... At the moment the way I discover new games is at the tabletop meetings twice a week....

Browsing the online sites and looking at screenshots and rules is fun and easy, and one way that I myself have discovered a good number of new games -- some games just *look* interesting to me.

Quote:
What kind of games do you guys usually play ?

I play a pretty eclectic mix -- I'm very fond of abstracts, fascinated by many of the new-generation card games that play like board games, and a total sucker for tile-laying games, which are one of my favorite discoveries since joining BGG.

Quote:
Any suggestions for games to try? Complexity doesn't matter, neither does time it takes to play a game.

I don't play any of the games that you've mentioned so far, so I'll let someone else suggest a few based on what you like now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, and welcome!

I hope you enjoy all this site has to offer.

...and all the people you'll "meet" too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! I see you've been gifted enough gold for an avatar, but you'd be short for micro badges. They're 8 each, btw. Pick nice ones!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.