Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not fond of never ending expansions. I know that sounds weird when looking to buy a Fantasy Flight game. I have the old Talisman and really enjoyed it. It is a family game.

Can you buy just the core game or do you need the expansions to make it complete? If so how many and which ones. For example, Eldritch Horror really needs Foresaken Lore to not get stale quickly. When FFG produced Cosmic Encounter they broke the original game into core and expansion so you had to buy the several expansions to get as much as you had in the original core game.

So my questions are:
A) Is this like the original game?
B) Can I play with just the core or will it leave you wanting?
C) If I do need expansions which ones are necessary for a complete game.

I don't need or really want side boards etc...

P.S. I have two sets of the original 1983 game. I'm thinking of just sticking with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A)Yes
B)Core is fine. You can always add in an expansion or two if you find yourself wanting more but honestly I feel the game gets way too bloated if you add too many.
C)Here is a great guide to the expansions.

Ken at Sunrise wrote:

P.S. I have two sets of the original 1983 game. I'm thinking of just sticking with that.

If you enjoy the old version I would say you would love 4th even more. The artwork is beautiful and worth the purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Beatrice
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is enough, but the Reaper Expansion is almost essential, in my opinion. I would honestly stop there though, as too many expansions can really dilute the theme, add more unnecessary rules and upkeep and make it a real pain to fit everything back in the box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the never-ending expansions, FFG announced today that as of the end of feb. 2018 they will not be selling/doing anything else with the license due to contract with Games Workshop expiring.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-pa...

So the expansions are, indeed, ended, at least by FFG.

Also, I love the City expansion since it adds a ton of mew ways to spend your gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only own the base game, that's all I need for me. Great Game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, I love the City expansion since it adds a ton of mew ways to spend your gold.
If I was going to have only one expansion, it would be The City. It adds a lot to the game, ways to earn and spend gold. It has cool characters, equipment, pets, etc.

I would be happy with just that expansion with the base game, but if I wanted to add just a little more, the next expansion I would get is Blood Moon. Werewolves are awesome, and it adds some interesting mechanics. It also adds a "stalker" NPC much like The Reaper, but I feel the werewolf is a bit cooler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
For example, Eldritch Horror really needs Foresaken Lore to not get stale quickly.

The Reaper is Talisman's Forsaken Lore. Any other small box will do as well, but The Reaper is the closest in theme to the base game, all others add some gimmicks wich you might not like. If you're not able to find the Reaper, my second pick would be The Frostmarch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget the side boards, get one (or two [or three]) small box expansions. They add so much variety!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Talisman and its expansions are going out of print. I advise everyone who likes the game to buy all the expansions, before it's too late.

Those who have decided otherwise, there are many threads here and at FFG where people have listed their favorite expansions and order of expansion to purchase. I won't list my list again, since I think it foolish to not buy them all now.

No disrespect intended, but an urgency encouraged instead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald (Joe) Rupert
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought everything I was missing so now I've got the whole set minus the FFG PoD expansions (2).

Now how do I explain this to my wife...urgh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrasse wrote:
I just bought everything I was missing so now I've got the whole set minus the FFG PoD expansions (2).

Just tell her it's an investment. It's guaranteed to go up in value now that it's gone out of print. At "some point" you can sell it and make a profit, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrasse wrote:

Play with her meeple Talisman works great also in 2P mode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

So my questions are:
A) Is this like the original game?
B) Can I play with just the core or will it leave you wanting?
C) If I do need expansions which ones are necessary for a complete game.

A) It's very similar to the older editions, yes. It's not literally identical, but except for artwork and component upgrades, (and fate tokens) it's the same in all the important ways, at least. Some cards that were core in older editions may have been moved to an expansion in this edition, etc, but you get the picture.

Since you mentioned already owning an older copy, I would say the only reason to consider buying the current 4th ed is if you REALLY want new art/components. It's similar enough that simply playing the older edition should scratch the same itch, as it were.

B) Yes, playing with just the core is still as complete an experience as it ever was.

C) You don't. Personally, I consider the corner boards essential and those are the only expansions I bothered to collect. You mentioned you don't care about those, though, so you'd probably be fine with just the core. (though do note, as mentioned, that FFG's edition is now officially out of print, so buy any expansions you want while you still can, or wait for GW's own 5th ed, which I'm sure is coming.)

Wrasse wrote:

I've found that mentioning my intention to buy a board game to the wife a few days in advance of actually buying it can go a long way to avoiding any uncomfortable "explaining" later.

In fact, that's exactly what I just did, before running out to buy the last couple corner board expansions I didn't own yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since Talisman is more random than most games, you don't need expansions to make the game less stale. There are a couple stacks of cards and you draw - unlike games such as Eldritch where you have many smaller piles (so increased risk of staleness)

That said, any expansion will increase the piles and allow you a chance at more diverse items and monsters (or spaces on the board if you buy the big expansions).

Note that any expansion (big and small) increases all the decks to some degree as well as giving different endings and characters to play.

Big box expansions:

As a side note, the City speeds up the game the most (powerful items for sale). The Dungeon speeds up the game a little (can skip the inner circle if you beat the mini-boss at the end). (those are both big box expansions)

I do not do not go to the Highlands often unless I am short on cash. And, I have not yet played the Woodlands (but I do own it).

I rarely play with the Dragon expansion as it completely changes the game, but is ok for a change, but isn't really a good expansion to increase variety. (Dragon has an alternative center board)

Cataclysm replaces the board completely but I really like the look of it (but I have not played it.

Small box expansions:
These may not have additional boards, but they do still give new characters/endings and lots of additional cards to add to the decks. Many also add a new mechanic as well.

It's hard to say a favorite here, as I like most of them. Even getting any expansion gives a ton more cards to add.

In summary, out of big boxes I love City and Dungeon best, and recommend getting 1 small box expansion to further increase variety.

If you can get only 1 expansion, I'd get either a small box or Dungeon. If you can get 2, I'd go with both. If you can get 3, I'd go with City as well.

Any more than that and I'd get the small box expansions (and finally the rest the big box expansions after). It's just my preference though.

*And that opinion may change once I try Woodlands, Cataclysm, and Deep Realms (last one is a small POD expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Geddon wrote:
The base game is enough, but the Reaper Expansion is almost essential, in my opinion. I would honestly stop there though, as too many expansions can really dilute the theme, add more unnecessary rules and upkeep and make it a real pain to fit everything back in the box!

This. I totally agree. Without it some decks are just too small and soon you will know all the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the adventure cards in the smaller box expansions. They really drive the game for me and more of them is better, so you don't always see the same cards every game. If you don't mind the same mix, base game will do fine for you also.

If you don't want add on boards, you could do the base game + 1 or 2 small box expansions. My favorites are the Reaper and Blood Moon.

If you can get only one, I like Reaper best. The reaper figure kind of herds the players. You have to decide, "do I risk being in range of the reaper, to try and land somewhere I need?" Also helps keep players from camping in a certain area, bouncing between a few prime nearby spots. If you're on the weaker side, or have some prime gear others keep stealing, and have some fate, it might be worth riding around the reaper. Stronger players or characters who can steal from you might think twice before approaching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.