Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in hosting a forum game. So if you want to play, send me a message.

How it will work:
I will start the game by posting the turn order sometime on or before September 16th (depending on interest).

We will use a cooperative format, meaning each player on their turn uses one card and then passes the story to the next player. The order of players will be set.

Everyone will be working toward one ending, which everyone will know. I will send you a message containing your card list, which is only for you to know (which makes it interesting when you don't know where the other players have to take the story).

Put your card name in bold so everyone has an idea of why things had to happen the way they did. For instance: "Our reluctant heroes wandered down the road until they came to a collapsed bridge."

You can make your post immediately after you see the previous player has posted. If it goes 2 days without posting, I will begin sending you reminder messages. (Sometimes life gets in the way, if you need to be away for a time please let me know).

Please don't clog up the thread with non-story posts once play has begun!
Please subscribe to the thread if you are playing!

At the end of the game, I will rename the thread to have an appropriate title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: jodokast4's Forum Story
Player order:

BenYo96
jodokast4
Avesharper
emckee8821
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Yost
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once Upon A Time...
Once upon a time, in the small and obscure hamlet of Thatchville, the two conniving Hartely brothers, Rob and Clive, settled into their hastily prepared rooms at the inn. As dark approached, they made their way to the local tavern, wherein they hoped to locate their newest victim. The Hartelys were, in fact, two of the most despicable scoundrels in the realm, and had bounties on their heads in 16 different counties; amounting to no less than 50,000 in coinage between the two of them! Here in Thatchville, which lay beyond the reaches of their infamy, they were going to cheat a naive individual out of all the money they could before he or she would catch on. Entering the gloomy atmosphere of the tavern, they spied an unassuming old man in somewhat expensive looking clothing sitting in the corner, nursing his 3rd ale. He appeared as good a target as any. Clive made the opening move of their gimmick:

"Excuse me sir, might myself and my associate join you for another round?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"O' course ya can, boys! Provided you do th' buyin' that is," as he waved expansively at the empty chairs at his table. "I been needing an ear to bend with my tales, HA! The name's Stork, Willie Stork."

Clive clapped him on the back in the friendliest manner as Rob procured a new round of drinks. A couple of pints and a rambling tale later and Stork was pretty well sloshed. "You young fellas mind now! I'm off for home" he slurred. With that he pulled himself to his feet and made for the door.

Clive hopped up. "You best let us walk with you, Stork. I would hate it if you befell any trouble..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Harper
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
"Well, that's mighty kind of ya!" hiccuped the old fool. He attempted to stumble to his feet but was so overtaken by the ale that he fell back inhis chair. The two brothers were quick to his aid, flashing wicked grins at each other as they guided the drunken man out the tavern door. Upon arriving and entering his house, they were excited to see an old cedar chest sitting majestically in the corner.

"Well thank ya fellas for the drinks," the old man blubbered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lavender Gooms
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
“It’s our pleasure,” answered Rob with a wink at Clive.

“Mm-hm,” Willie’s head lolled to one side, and he gave a great snore. The brothers took old Willie into his bedroom and hoisted him onto his bed before returning to the living room, where the old cedar chest sat. The brothers knelt in front of it.

“What do you suppose is inside?” Rob asked, a greedy glint in his eyes.

“Let’s find out,” Clive said with a chuckle. “The old fool didn’t even put a lock on it.” Clive opened the lid, which gave a great creaking sound.

Inside, a small purple fire burned merrily, licking at a small holly branch but not seeming to burn the four sides of the chest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Yost
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Eeehhh," said Clive, "Just some magic nonsense. This fella musta' been a cheap mage-for-hire back in his younger days. Ah well, let's keep looking around for something actually valuable!"

But Rob wasn't listening. When the chest had first been opened he had been overtaken by a trance.

Upon noticing this, Clive became greatly alarmed, wondering what foul magic was at work."C'mon Rob, snap out of it! This foolish old crow won't sleep forever!"

Rob finally muttered words, but what he said only frightened his brother all the more. "I-I- see a-a..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"...a tower, and a dungeon, and a treasure!" Rob blurted. That got Clive's attention in a hurry.

"Where? Where's the treasure?!? How much treasure? Come on Rob, tell me!"

"North of here, in the foothills of Rabbit Mountain!"

Well that was enough for Clive. He grabbed Rob, spun him around, and closed the chest. "Okay Rob, let's ransack this cottage, take the chest with us, and go find this treasure!" So they stripped ol' Stork of everything he had of even modest value and took off to the north.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Harper
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
"I don't reckon ive ever been very far North," quipped Clive. "Me neither. Maybe we had better buy a map."
"Naw," snorted Clive, "we'll be fine." the further the brother traversed into the hills of the North, the stranger things got. The trees were no longer green but a strang blue, and the water in this foreign landwas a blood red.
"There had better be a heap of treasure up here, i don't like this place one bit." Rob growled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lavender Gooms
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Indeed, the brothers' uneasiness only grew as they travelled, as did their thirst. They had not refilled their canteens since the creeks and rivers had become red, and they dared not drink it. Who knew if it was poison? Or worse, blood? Or poisoned blood?

"Clive, I need a drink. We've got to find some normal water!" Rob complained hoarsely.

"You're right," Clive responded. "We need to find a village or something. Let's go back to the main road." The brothers always stayed off the highways whenever possible, just in case one of their many enemies should recognize and potentially murder them.

Once on the main road, it didn't take long for the brothers to come to a quaint hamlet. They stopped at the first building and knocked.

"Where can we find water?" asked Rob rather rudely when an old woman appeared at the door.

The woman peered at them, frowning slightly. "There's a well in the center of town," she said. "Just keep on this road, and you'll come to it."

The brothers looked at each other in dismay. The middle of town was never a good place for them to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Yost
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Before long, the brothers finally came upon the well which contained normal water. They inconspicuously shuffled through the crowded square, hoping to avoid attention. They drank straight from the bucket for a while, and when their thirst was quenched, began filling their canteens for the long road ahead. This task was abruptly interrupted by a shout from across the way:

"Hey... hey! Stop you thieves (thief)!!!! Thieves!!"

The brothers looked up, and observed a young man, who looked vaguely familiar, running their way.

"Isn't that the fella' we picked in Ratsburg?" asked Clive.

"No, I think... in Cooperdale maybe?" answered Rob.

As the young man, now with a dagger in hand, came closer, they realized arguing over his identity was not the best use of time. They took off, Rob to the left, and Clive down the alley to the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The poor young lad followed Clive down the alley hot on his trail. Clive turned left between two buildings and the boy followed. Clive glanced back and saw the boy was being followed by a pair of guards. Even less excited about the guards than he was about being chased by a knife-wielding youth, he cut between two more buildings and rushed head-long across the crowded market street.

Once on the other side, he glanced back to see the boy had been grabbed by the guards before they got to the street and had subdued him, which was good news for Clive. What was bad news for Clive was that now that the boy was caught, one of the guards was walking over to talk to Clive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Harper
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Clive had to think quickly... Something he wasn't used to doing. He dived down another alley, and then another, all the while with the guards hot in pursuit. When the guards came around the corner they saw Clive's cloaked figure scrunched in the corner. They siezed the man immediately.

"HELP! AH!" the man yelped, for this man was not Clive but a poor beggar.

But by the time the guards had realized it was a case of mistaken identity, Clive had vanished from sight. They charged around the corner, nostrils flaring in anger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lavender Gooms
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
The guards searched and searched, but to no avail. The two brothers had vanished from sight and hidden themselves in the town's stables. While the town square bustled with activity just outside the door, the stables held a quietness that was only disturbed by the sound of horses shifting in their hay beds.

In an empty stall, Clive and Robert took stock of their possessions. They still had old Willie's chest, in which crackled the strange purple flames, and they also carried all his other valuables and the brothers' newly filled canteens. Eventually they would have to barter off some of Willie's trinkets, but this town wasn't the place. Not after being chased by guards.

"How close are we to Rabbit Mountain?" asked Rob, thinking about the images he had seen as he gazed into the purple flames. The treasure was out there, waiting to be found.

"It would be another three days on foot," answered Clive, "but I don't think it'll take us that long. We've got some transportation right here." He grinned wickedly at Rob then peered outside the stall.

When the two brothers had found and readied the two finest-looking horses, they spied out the stable door. They would have to make a break for it if they wanted to leave this town without being followed. People swarmed in the market outside, but they all seemed busy and distracted.

"Let's go, Rob," said Clive. The brothers mounted the stolen horses.

"Hey!" A voice rang out from behind them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Yost
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"HEY!" The voice rang out again. The brothers turned to see the stable keeper staring in horror, not at them, but at the floor. The purple flame had fallen out of the chest while Rob had looked in it only a few moments ago,and the strangely colored flames were spreading quickly through the dry and straw filled stable!

As the alarm went out, eight men who had been loitering at the market rushed in with buckets the extinguish what they thought would be a regular fire. Before they could splash their water on it, however, they all froze and stared into the flames.

When Clive looked into them, he saw exactly the same vision Rob had described to him before. When he snapped out of the trance, the fire abruptly went out on its own accord. All the men in the stable paused for a split second, and then they all desperately clambered onto horses themselves, cruelly pushing the newly dishonored stable keeper into a pile of horse manure.

"What's going on?!?" yelled Rob above the ruckus.

"Don't you get it? They've all seen the vision too! Now we have competition!" Answered a dispirited Clive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eight men rode hot out of town, chased by Clive and Rob. The town folk were befuddled by the sudden rush out of town, but that didn't matter to those ten men.

The day was spent in a horse race, all the way to Rabbit Mountain. When evening fell the horses were spent, and all ten men were stopped in the dell at the base of the mountain. Rob turned to Clive, "We need to do something about these guys. Maybe we strike up a bargain before we...you know" as he gave his brother a significant glance.

"I'm with you," snarled Clive. Then to the group: "Men, it seems we've all seen an alluring vision. It would be foolish of us if we didn't band together, especially against the ugly monster that lives in the tower." Clive didn't actually know there was a monster, but fear is a good motivator. "What do you say we camp for the night and seek the tower in the morning? Besides, the horses are spent."

The other eight men begrudgingly agreed with Clive's proposal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Harper
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
That night, once the men were all snoring loudly, Rob and Clive began to sneak around the men, gathering every thing of possible value. Once they had gathered up all the gold, weapons and food they could find, they began to tip toe into the woods. SNAP! Clive looked down to see he had stepped on a branch. The men awoke and quickly overcame the brothers.

"You said we were working together!" shouted a townsmen.

"Look, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do," stammered Rob.

"In our town, there are severe... No, deadly consequences for people who break vows" sneered a farmer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lavender Gooms
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Any other men would have quailed under such threats. But Clive and Rob, being the tricksters that they were, had been threatened many times before. They had been captured and even imprisoned in a couple of towns. Every time, the conniving brothers had always hoodwinked, bamboozled, and hornswoggled their captors and escaped to the next unsuspecting village. This would be no different. Except this time there was treasure.

Clive smiled at the sneering farmer. “My dear fellow,” he began, “I have no idea what you’re talking about. My brother here woke to the sound of footsteps in the forest. We merely wanted to find the source, in case our brave group should have some kind of competition.”

“Oh really?” challenged the farmer, snatching one of Rob’s bags. “Then why are these bags loaded down with our belongings?”

Clive didn’t miss a beat. “You didn’t let me finish the story. We did find someone in the forest. It was a wretched thief, making off with all our valuables. We quickly overtook him and gave him a sound beating. We were on our way back to return everyone’s items when you all woke.”

Seven of the men seemed appeased by this, but the sneering farmer maintained a look of deep skepticism and dislike. “How do we know your story is true? Where is this thief?”

At this, Rob jumped into Clive’s deception. “We left him over that way,” said Rob, pointing into the pitch-black forest. “About a five minutes’ walk away, under a willow tree.”

“Let’s get him!” one of the men shouted. “This thief deserves more than a good beating!”

All the men shouted in agreement and marched into the woods. Clive and Rob followed them for a few yards then slipped into the darkness, heading up the mountain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Yost
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dawn approached just as Rob and Clive approached the tower from the vision! The tower looked slightly altered from the version they had seen in the vision, but it was unmistakably the exact same tower that contained a treasure. Another thing which had not been seen in the vision was the temporary wooden barricade which surrounded the whole tower. As the brothers investigated, they came upon a sign, which read:

COMING SOON: Willie Stork's Inn, Tavern, and Dancing Hall! The perfect place to rest, restore, and replenish your spirits (of all kinds) and even fall in love!

Then below, in smaller print:

From the same Mr. Stork who brought you Magicians 4 Hire, Three Men in a Tub Tunic Cleaning Service, and the Thatchville Undertaker's Service, comes this new and exciting business venture; sure to fulfill what you have come to expect from your pal Willie! Opening September 9.

Rob checked his Sun Dial; it was September 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive swore. "That Stork had magicked up an advertisement to compel us to come to his dance hall!"

"Those other guys can't be far behind us now. We had better go in." Rob reasoned. So they went through the temporary barricade and entered the tower. And who was standing there to welcome them but Willie Stork himself.

"Lads! Am I glad to see you boys! Welcome to my new enterprise!" Stork greeted them with gusto!

Clive responded in kind, "Willie Stork! I didn't expect to see you this far north. How have you been?"

"Sad to say lads, but I was robbed after you boys left me at my cottage. Thankfully, most of my wealth was already invested in this place, which is sure to turn a hefty profit!"

"Well we're just glad to see you up and doing well," Rob chimed in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Harper
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
"Thank ya mate!"chimed Willie, "Say, you didn't happen to see anyone around my place that night?"

"No not at all. Nope." Clived piped.

"Ok well, anyhow, feel free to explore the tower, drinks on me! The ladies on the third floor are quite gems!"

"For sure!!" Rob yelled back as the brothers took off into the tower.

"Hey Rob," quipped Clive as they jogged along. "Check out this coin i swiped from old man Stork!"

Rob took a closer look at the shiny medallion. "Clive, you buffoon, this is a love token!" he grinned excitedly and raced off into the tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lavender Gooms
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Clive pocketed the token, and upon entering the tower, the brothers were met with an incredible sight. There before them was the most beautiful dancing hall they had ever seen - a wide, polished floor surrounded by tables with a bar on the far side of the room. A great wooden staircase hugged the curving wall and led upstairs. The place was bustling with activity as servants, cooks, and entertainers made final preparations for the grand opening the next day, and the place seemed as though it was ready to host an entire city-full of people.

Rob immediately headed for the staircase.

"Woah, woah, woah!" exclaimed Clive. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Where do you think I'm going?" answered Rob incredulously. "Old man Willie said there were girls upstairs, and I haven't properly flirted with a female since we snookered the banker and his daughter three months ago in Halverton."

"I know, I know! But look at what this is," Clive said, waving his hand broadly at the hall. "We thought we made a pretty penny at our first meeting with old Stork, but that was nothing."

Rob looked around the hall greedily as he realized what his brother meant.

"What we have here," Clive said, "is a business opportunity."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Yost
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: jodokast4's Forum Story #1
Meanwhile, the men who had been fooled and left behind had finally arrived at the tower. "Let's storm in and get'em!" said a farmer, who had become the self appointed leader of the group. The eight men now felt like comrades after all being duped by the conniving brothers. They unceremoniously broke through the door, and were welcomed by the strangest of sights.

There were Rob and Clive, standing in the emptiness, conversing with no one, but talking and gesturing as if the bare tower was bustling with people. One of the men waved his hand in front of Clive's face, getting no response. "What devilry is this?" one of the men exclaimed.
"Justice, m'boy!" a voice replied. The answer came from Willy Stork, who emerged from the shadows. Stork continued: "These two knuckleheads have been mischief makers since they were in the cradle, and now it's catching up with them. And the justice will be so sweet! Here, follow me!"

The men followed Willy up the tower stairs, and into a room with an ancient, mold covered painting of a legendary battlefield. At the press of a hidden button, the painting moved, revealing a hidden room full of gold and gems! "You men, despite a bit of greed, are honest folks. Here, the tower treasure is all yours. Now be on your merry way, and leave the cheating brothers to me! Trust me, I've been punishing unsuspecting evil-doers for millennia!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now Clive and Rob were unaware of this, but they were about to encounter a test, the outcome of which would affect the rest of their lives. Could they in fact forgo their evil ways? Let's find out!

Rob and Clive had been mingling with some dancing girls while steering conversation in such a way as to inquire about any treasures that may be in the tower. One girl, Berta, caught on and motioned Clive off to one side.

"I shouldn't say anything," Berta started, "but there is some kind of hidden switch inside the helmet of that suit of armor." She indicated one of the many decorative suits of armor surrounding the edge of the hall.

"Thanks!" Clive smiled charmingly. "You're a wonderful gal! When this is all over I'll share my wealth with you" Clive lied easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Harper
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Whistling in a inconspicuous way, Rob follwed Clive over to the suit of armor.
Looking around to make sure they were unnoticed, they quickly unlatched the visor on the helmet and peered in. Just like the woman had said, there was a small switch.

"Oh boy, now the real fun starts!" whispered Rob. He flipped the switch. With a creak and a moan, a panel in the wall slid open. The brothers squeezed inside, holding back their slightly paunch stomachs.

On the other side was a majestic throne room, with gold coins and jewels laying in piles all over the marble floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.