United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Poll: The 371st TGIF Poll
The responses I've seen on this geeklist (10 Questions For Everyone #53 - September 2016) have led me to really wonder some things...
Approximately how many games and expansions do you own that you have not played?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
5.8% 16
1-10
40.9% 112
11-20
12.4% 34
21-30
8.4% 23
31-40
4.7% 13
41-50
1.5% 4
51-60
2.6% 7
61-70
1.8% 5
71-80
1.8% 5
81-90
1.8% 5
91-100
0.7% 2
101+
17.5% 48
Voters 274
Do you use BGG's Quickbar?
Frequently
33.6% 94
Sometimes
25.4% 71
Rarely
15.0% 42
Never
5.7% 16
What's the Quickbar?
20.4% 57
Voters 280
Do you tend to remember significant wins and losses of board games?
Always
6.1% 17
Frequently
15.5% 43
Sometimes
45.3% 126
Rarely
29.1% 81
Never
4.0% 11
Voters 278
This poll is now closed.   280 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:00 am

4. What question should be asked on the next TGIF Poll?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is getting a new version with a new rulebook and more than 450 card edits and clarifications. The game is ranked 21 on BGG and Portal Games could probably have just let it ride, especially with First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet coming out next year.

Which other BGG Top 25 game could use a new version with updated rules, cards, components, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Why do they damn men keep digging ditches 15 feet long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"I wonder," he said to himself presently, "I wonder if this sort of car *starts* easily?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

When playing a game that is new to everyone at the table, what percentage of the time do you get at least one rule wrong?

How many rules do you get wrong, on the average?

How major are any misplayed rules, on the average?

Do you reread rules for a new game after the first play to see if you got anything wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a BROWN cow can eat GREEN grass and make WHITE milk and YELLOW cheese, why can't you do a push-up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Last time I checked I was at 120 plus. But that doesn't include expansions I have not played, just base games.

2. I said I rarely use the Quickbar... but only because I just found out about it last week...

3. I have the hardest time remembering "significant" wins and losses. I do log all of my games, and make notes of particular events during games, in those logs. It is nice that when my friends ask about certain games I can go back and see what we played on a specific night, and how the games went. There have been times that this has triggered fun memories. LIKE, playing Werewolf with 22 people, with 4 people left in the village. We were using Artifacts, and a bunch of cool powers from Ultimate Werewolf. We have a friend that just seems to make games "break" in the funnest and funniest way ever. His name is Dave... I am pasting in my little game recap here, and have not changed any of the names... you guys don't know them

Fernando was cursed and became a werewolf. In the last turn the wolves killed Dave, who was Dr Boom, taking out Jim and Heather, leaving just Fernando the Werewolf... Except Heather was the Hunter and took Fernando out with her dying breath... It was a total apocalypse in the village. We were in Roanoke... People came to the village in later years and wondered what caused this devastation, and there was no one to tell the tale... Dave-pocalypse occurred...

We had so much fun after the game describing this abandoned village with all these dead bodies, and the devastation, with nothing written to explain what had happened. Oh my heck I am so happy remembering this now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) BGG says I have 109 expansions and promos. I don't record plays of expansions (everything goes under the base game), but of those, maybe 25 haven't been used yet.

2) Almost all of my navigation consists of using either subscriptions or the quickbar, so it gets used very frequently.

3) I can remember some key moments or events that occurred within certain plays over the years, but not any significant wins or losses.

4) Expanding on the bonus question I posted there: How much deck-building must be involved in a game in order to refer to it as a "deck-building game"?

You could repeat that same question for almost any popular mechanism: Drafting, Worker Placement, Roll&Move, "Card Game", Flicking, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmb
1. Well over 100 unplayed. No idea how many.

2. I use the quick bar all the time. Numerous times daily.

3. Because I do track scores and have been for some years now, I tend to remember wins and losses (and if someone tells me they never played a game, I usually know if they played or not. My memory is good like that.

4. Man, a question. LOL You did use one of mine years ago. Well, perhaps something like "my favorite games tend to have come out when?" with a breakdown of years (3 year increments?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

4. What, if anything, has playing / teaching games taught you about life outside of BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
4. Who makes the best polls?
Seriously?
Kevin Bacon.
      25 answers
Poll created by skutsch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Tracking my owned but unplayed games says I'm at 14 right now.

2 - Frequently, because it is the easiest way to get to the places I need to reference regularly.

3 - I remember things that happen in games, I remember stories about games, but I cannot recall who won a game at all (except for maybe our most recent games played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
If snow could fall in any flavor, what flavor should it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Poll
4. Who makes the best polls?
Seriously?
Kevin Bacon.
      25 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Never vote against Bacon (Kevin or otherwise)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

4. What question should be asked on the next TGIF Poll? :D

Is there a recurring theme in most of your board games? i.e. Zombies, fantasy, WW2, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
4. How much do you discuss non-gaming matters while you are playing games with your game group (as opposed to family or friends from Outside Gaming)?

What discussion topics do you avoid (politics, sex, religion, personal matters like health, work or family...)

Do you like it that way or do you wish it were different (more or less outside-gaming discussion)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Do you tend to remember significant wins and losses of board games?

I think that remembering wins and losses is directly related to one's skill level in a given game and the effort expended in both acquiring that level of expertise and in trying to win a particular game, match, or tournament. Those memories are surely connected to the type of game too, as some games are more conducive to study and effort.

As a strong chessplayer, I remember significant games and events from more than 45 years ago, and I remember far more than just the results -- I can recall where the games were played, what time of day, the layout of the room, who I played against and even other players around me, and that's all in addition to remembering positions and moves, and even what I was thinking while analyzing.

I do the same thing in other games that I have played competitively, but not with the same accuracy or intensity that I retain chess memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
120 votes counted and 18% have over 100 unplayed games and expansions??? You could play an unplayed game every week for 2 years! I can already picture the ultimatum I would get from my wife - "Get rid of these games, or I'll get rid of them for you!"

I was actually surprised by how many unplayed games/expansions I had - 18. Almost all of them are the last couple waves of X-Wing and Imperial Assault expansions and figure packs. I should have almost all of those played by the end of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 12 if we discount promos and other freebies thrust upon me at UKGE 2015.
2. Occasionally, if there's a game I want to pop onto the page for int he hotness
3. Only the particularly notable ones, like the time the Eagle Landed before Sputnik made orbit, propelling me to a huge advantage on the ground in Twilight Struggle throughout the game.
4. Greatest sheep related game, and favourite animal in a game, based on other threads...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Many or I haven't counted them yet should be an answer modest
d10-2 Love my quickbar
d10-3 Definitely and I think my annihilation in Nippon will go on to the list
d10-4 Channels Cheech and Chong - "Who cuts your hair?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 31-40

2. Whats the Quickbar?

3. Frequently

4. How did you find BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Apologies if you have done these before. You could always do them again though.

(A)
How many hours a week (month?) do you on average game? (Perhaps you have done this before?)
How many different games nights/days in a week (month?) do you game?
If you had no other constraints (job/partner/family/committments) what would the answer to these two questions be?

B
Do you prefer a game 'thing' to be marked by Plastic miniatures or wooden cubes?
Do you prefer inserts for components or bags?

C
Favourite designer from a list?

D
What motivates you to get rid of a game (not played for x years/no longer like/played once and don't like/ like but none of your friends do...etc)
How many plays of a game does it take before you decide to sell it/trade it/give away?
How do you dispose of unwanted games (sell, trade, donate)
How many more games can your storage take before full?

E
Do you mainly play at home/someone else's home/at a club/store/cafe?
With whom: family/friends/club members

F
Is board gaming your main hobby? If not where does it rank?
What other hobbies/leisure time activities do you enjoy (walking/sport/TV/cinema/netflix boxsets/family days out/crafts etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
120 votes counted and 18% have over 100 unplayed games and expansions??? You could play an unplayed game every week for 2 years! I can already picture the ultimatum I would get from my wife - "Get rid of these games, or I'll get rid of them for you!"

I was actually surprised by how many unplayed games/expansions I had - 18. Almost all of them are the last couple waves of X-Wing and Imperial Assault expansions and figure packs. I should have almost all of those played by the end of the year.

Let me know if you need help playing those expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually do great for the unplayed games question, but adding in expansions changed my answer from "2" to "12". Grr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.