Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Curtis
United States
Prospect Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is so much to track with this game, every time I think of setting it up for a solo play I decide that I would rather just read the Internet as it is less daunting and less work...

So - with that in mind:

1. How do you keep track of your heroes easily?
2. How many heroes do you use?
3. How do you store the cards and enemies?

Help me SoB friends... I really want to play more but have so much trouble getting people to commit the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use these great character sheets from Aslin. They look good and aren't too cluttered.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9NWr5KCMuZ-V0dLc1VY...
I laminate them and use wet erase markers.

I like the 3 hero posse. That way you get normal encounters(more variance I think)

Cards I use Bumyongs awesome card holder design. Everything else goes in expanding folders(accordion thingys)

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1272296/foam-core-card-hold...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Embree
msg tools
mbmbmb
I created an excel spreadsheet with a summary of stats on one tab and all modifiers on a second, so whenever you get a new item or injury that modifies a base stat its as simple as putting a +1 or -1 in the modifier field which flows to the summary page. It took a bit of time to set up, but getting a game started and keeping track of everything through a campaign is a breeze now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
I use these great character sheets from Aslin. They look good and aren't too cluttered.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9NWr5KCMuZ-V0dLc1VY...
I laminate them and use wet erase markers.

I like the 3 hero posse. That way you get normal encounters(more variance I think)

Cards I use Bumyongs awesome card holder design. Everything else goes in expanding folders(accordion thingys)

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1272296/foam-core-card-hold...

Really like the look of those character sheets - might have to make the switch! Thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems like a great way to go, too. Do you use a tablet or nearby computer to keep track of that while playing the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Embree
msg tools
mbmbmb
I use a laptop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracking Heroes
Flying Frog's blank character sheets are the best (compact) resource I've seen for ease of play. However, it seems like they are out of stock in the web store right now.

The reason they are good for ease of play is because they are the same size as the actual character sheets in the game. Writing down cards, sidebag tokens, etc. is only important if you're juggling multiple groups or campaigns. If you're playing one campaign, you need to track stats and special abilities. Tokens and cards can just be stored in baggies or whatever.

Number of Heroes
As others have said, no less than two and no more than three.
Two will be easier to manage, but you will be fighting a lot of low threats.
Three is a little harder to manage, but the difficulty sweet spot is at three.

Card and Enemy Storage
At this point, I have all the enemies in one of the two core boxes. They are visually different enough to easily locate when a card is drawn.
As for card decks, there are a few that can be stacked and referenced when needed. The popular solution seems to be a multi-slot plastic tray of some kind, though I've had plenty of success just putting out the relevant ones at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
For cards, I've found the easiest thing is to keep them in an 800 count card box with dividers showing what they are. When you need a card, just pull it from the box. Put the discards back into the same slot upside down on the bottom. At the end of the adventure, shuffle all of the upside down cards back into their decks (or, leave them like this for your encounter decks, then you won't get the same one twice until you've gone through the whole thing). Very little table space compared to all of the other solutions I've seen, and when you're finished, it's all already inside the box, so you just put it back on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the regular game stuff and cards and I use that sticky tack to tack changes to the character card so I will remember. I use 4 characters and 4 characters is hard to manage. I would say that is my limit to being able to control. I have all the cards in business card holders to keep track of all the decks and I use little plastic cups with screw caps to keep the most commonly used tokens.

I've thought about laptops and tried to use character sheets, but I just find the cards make it easier for my somewhat compromised eyes to pick things out on the table.

It works, but I'm always looking for better ideas. I snap pictures of the cards on my cellphone when I'm going to quit so I can remember what I have the next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I use the regular game stuff and cards and I use that sticky tack to tack changes to the character card so I will remember.

The cardboard pieces in Caverns of Cynder work perfectly for this, I assume. A lot of the cardboard in that set was devoted to numbers in the style of the character sheets, like they could be laid out over the values on the sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Embree
msg tools
mbmbmb
For anyone interested, I just uploaded the spreadsheet I use for tracking characters in solo play. You can track up to 4 characters at once fairly easily. Here's the link.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/137052/easiest-way-track-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.