Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I get these three in the upcoming Target "buy 2 get 1" sale? I've never played any of these. My wife and I game alone together often, playing mostly Carcassone, Hive, Splendor, and Castles of Burgundy. I have three friends that visit at least weekly for game nights, and several more friends who are often available for mid to large size groups on more of a monthly basis. I am the primary game collector, so I'm not worried about what other people have (for the most part).

Five Tribes - It's interested me ever since I saw it on the FLGS shelf years ago, when I first started rediscovering board games. The tactical nature of the game interests me since I sometimes like to only think during my own turn and not worry too much about planning ahead. I don't think any other game I own has this level of variance in board state between turns, and that sounds entertaining. I see this being a great game for my weekly game night group, minus the AP problem. That will have to be addressed on some level, but we're mature and can handle it.

Hansa Teutonica - Looks fun, but I hadn't really looked into it before this week. Bland theme, bland art...not gonna beat that dead horse but it does matter some to me. I think I play Castles of Burgundy less because of its ugliness. I don't think I have anything close to resembling this game and I'm not aware of anything that could compare to it. I have some hesitation that maybe it's not fulfilling a gap in my collection as well as some other game might, but I really don't know for sure.

Camel Up - This is my "well, I need a third game" pick. I already like to break out Between Two Cities, Captain Sonar, and Resistance when I have large groups. To a lesser extent, also Robo Rally. So I'm worried this won't have a unique place in my collection. Though the idea of drunkenly cheering on your camel seems like a fun time. Or perhaps the opposite, I'll bring it to family holidays for some kid-friendly good times.

Here is my rated collection of owned games.

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/kyleglyn?sort=rati...

Thanks for taking a look, and I appreciate any insight you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hard to answer without knowing what else might be in the 2+1 sale at target... is there an ad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1633945/target-all-board-ga...

You can view Target's list of games on their website. All except Cards Against Humanity are part of the deal. I had a hard time finding games that

1) I don't own
2) Are competitively priced
3) I want

These three were the best I could do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lazzaro

Schaumburg
Illinois
msg tools
Camel Up definitely seems to hit the table a lot. Kid friendly, adults love it, gamers and non-gamers alike. Definitely not a game for just two players, but is a great game for larger groups. Mostly luck based and definitely good for a beer/wine night, but there is still a decent amount of strategy to it. I strongly recommend it.

Hansa Teutonica is a game that I really like and I do find that it can work with two players. There are so many strategies I am not sure which one is the optimal one yet. I am not going to lie though and that the blandness and the ugliness of the game board/art might turn you off though. You will have to decide if you can get past that but if you can I say go for it.

I have not played Five Tribes, but it has intrigued me for some time now. I have also heard positive things about it but cannot say anything from experience.

I think that you have three strong picks that shock me that any of them are available in Target, but if I didn't own two of the three and had the funds I would do it.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five Tribes has been a hit in my group and a hit with me. It's not too difficult to learn, but there are lots of meaty and interesting choices. Basically, every turn you feel like you're doing something great, yet you also feel like you're missing out on something. (You can only do one thing.) It's a fun tension that lets you feel clever.

Hansa Teutonica is mechanically interesting, but I ultimately wasn't able to convince anyone else in my groups to get on board with it either time I've owned it. I like the look of the game even, but it's very dry.

Camel Up has diminishing returns the more people are at the table as you can only do one action per turn and the more people are at the table, the less valuable you feel your choices are. I think six is the max with it, and it's probably best with four. I used to like this one quite a bit; then I played Winner's Circle, which made it obsolete 13 years before it was released. (Obviously, my biased opinion. )

From your collection, I think you'd really like Five Tribes. I'm not sure the other two will be to your liking, and since the Target deal isn't amazing, you might be better off just buying Five Tribes at a discount ($36.99 at Amazon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up, after a couple of plays, loses its appeal very quickly. Nothing you do really affects the game state at all and the game feels just silly.

Hansa Teutonica is just too mechanical for my taste. I would MUCH rather play Kingdom Builder with an expansion or two (Kingdom Builder and Hansa T have a bit of the same vibe).

Five Tribes is quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five tribes is one of my favourites - It plays well at all player counts (there's even an official solo variant that you can download), has a huge amount of variety in both the setup and the turn to turn choices, and is relatively easy to learn. The components and artwork are of high quality too.

I've not played the other two games that you mentioned so can't judge whether they are worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow their prices are insane, I had to stop looking.

Def get five tribes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help, guys. I've got a busy weekend so I might not get to write lengthy replies, but I am definitely reading these.

I'm feeling good about Five Tribes. I think I will get it someday, just a matter of whether it happens this weekend or not.

Hansa Teutonica sounds more and more reminiscent of how I feel about Castles of Burgundy. And I would never let alternate reality kyleglyn live it down for not getting that one. Hope I am not wrong.

Camel Up...I just don't know. My collection doesn't feel big enough to need another kid friendly game that scales to a large player count. I guess you could say this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

Good luck to all others watching the sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still happy to have Camel Up in my collection. It's silly, at absolute minimum 75% random, but still a lot of "OOOOHHH!" moments. Great for a once-in-a-while game when looking for silliness.

Five Tribes is my favourite game so obviously I will recommend it. It's apparently amazing with 2 as well (although will be more AP prone at that count given the increased combo possibilities).

I'm a fairly AP prone person but I find the "AP problem" overstated in Five Tribes. I don't find it that bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Five Tribes is an excellent game.

I haven't played the other 2, but I don't think Camel Up would make it back to the table with my group. Have no idea about Hansa Teutonica..

I browsed the Target Website filtered (for 16 + Up), and from what I saw, I would consider the following games:

Imhotep - Fun game, I played it at GenCon.
Red Dragon Inn Series - Not my favorite, but interesting enough that I'd grab as a throw-in to complete the Buy 2, Get 1 Free (B2G1).
Mage Knight - I've never played, but highly rated (near top 10 at BGG) so its worth a look for B2G1.
Qin - I'm a sucker for Asian themed games..
Codenames Series - Codenames is a lot of fun, but the low price point may not make B2G1 Free a value..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Slim. Of those, Imhotep seemed the most interesting to me. Ultimately though, I ended up getting Five Tribes, Hansa Teutonica, and Panamax. I got Panamax price matched, but it was not a fun experience. I will not attempt that again.

Looking forward to the new order on Tuesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pick up Evolution: The Beginning instead of Camel Up. way better game! Camel Up is all luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received the order this morning, opened the box and...no Five Tribes. Instead I got a deck of cards for Smallworld. I don't think I'll be shopping with Target again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.