Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Smith
United States
New Brighton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey all,
Just played our first game last night. Very happy with it. Most questions I had I've found answered on here. And I'm sure the over in going to ask have been answered as well, but sick of looking.

1- I played the dwarves which I know are considered connected at final scoring when they tunnel, but are they considered indirectly adjacent as well? I was working on founding a town, which I know you don't count indirect adjacencies, but do my tunneled spaces count adjacent to each other? I'm guessing not.

2- I also purchased fire and ice. When reading about the ice maidens it talks about choosing your starting terrain and puting the ring on it. It mentions paying one spade when transforming your starting terrain type, you chose, into ice. Normally you don't have to transform a terrain if it's already your type unless you want points for it right? Ie: if you're the dwarves you can build right on a mountsin space? So basically the ice maidens always have to pay at least one spade since there is no ice on the board naturally? And if any faction would decide to transform their on terrain into their own terrain, it would cost 1 spade?

Sorry that exploded into multiple questions, but all relate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
dwarves - tunnels cannot be part of a city (you would have to fill in the jumped hex later on, to connect them in a city)
however, the tunnels DO count as indirect adjacent, and thus as part of your final network.

ice maidens (and yetis) - both factions have some powerfull special powers, which are countered by the fact that they always need at least one spade. Remember, when a hex is transformed into ice, it can NEVER be dug again, not even transformed by nomad og giant strongholds, or turned to volcano.
same goes for volcano hexes, once a hex is either ice or volcano, its locked for the remainder of the game.

it is suggested to play the 14 base factions for a while first, since all 6 F&I factions "breaks" the rules in a bigger way than any of the normal factions' special powers.

have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Campbell
Canada
Banff
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raptork1d wrote:
And if any faction would decide to transform their [own] terrain into their own terrain, it would cost 1 spade?

I could be mistaken, but I don't think that any of the factions can do this. I'm pretty sure that spending a spade requires a terraform relative to the terrain wheel.

So I suppose you could technically spend 2 spades to do this, but that would likely be a very inefficient use of spades. You'd generally be better off using them elsewhere to continue expanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C TK
Canada
flag msg tools
Nemesis420x wrote:
Raptork1d wrote:
And if any faction would decide to transform their [own] terrain into their own terrain, it would cost 1 spade?

I could be mistaken, but I don't think that any of the factions can do this. I'm pretty sure that spending a spade requires a terraform relative to the terrain wheel.

Every spade that is used is required to change a terrain space. You can't terraform, for example, a brown space to a brown space. It has to go to black or yellow, or choose a different space.

(Note that spades can be discarded instead of used, if obtained from cults or power actions)

Quote:
So I suppose you could technically spend 2 spades to do this, but that would likely be a very inefficient use of spades. You'd generally be better off using them elsewhere to continue expanding.

If you want to transform a home terrain to a different colour, you need to follow some very obscure rules. First, you can only transform away from your home terrain if that hex was your home terrain since the beginning of the round and has not yet changed. Second, you have to stop at your home terrain if you reach it while terraforming. So if you are playing Alchemists, and there are Witches about to steal a blue space next to you with the 2 spade power action and you want to prevent them from doing it (without building a dwelling on it, perhaps you have maximum dwellings), you cannot dig that space to brown with only 2 spades to deny them. You would have to use at least 4 spades, go in the (wrong) direction in the colour wheel, and go (starting at blue)->green->grey->red->yellow.

Also, just in case this is not implicitly understood, you cannot change directions on the colour wheel on one hex on the same turn, although you can on two separate turns within the same round provided you do not ever reach your home terrain in the process. In the example above with Alchemists, the Alchemist player could later in the same round do 4 more digs and go back (starting at yellow)->red->grey->green->blue. But the Alchemist player could not, on one turn, use 6 spades to dig a hex (starting at blue)->green->grey->red->yellow->red->grey for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nemesis420x wrote:
Raptork1d wrote:

I'm not sure, but I think OP was trying to ask if it would cost 1 spade to transform ice/volcano back to what it was. Which of course was answered with the info that you can never transform those land types again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can imagine the theoretical case where an Ice faction with fully advanced digging wants to collect VP in a SPADE>>2 round, but has only one terraformable hex in reach, and that hex is two spades away from its start color (e.g. a black hex for yellow Yetis) *and* another faction could intervene if the conversion is done in two separate turns (i.e. "terraform to brown this turn, then terraform to ice in the turn after" is not an option). Here it might be interesting to use two workers to buy two spades and terraform that hex to ice via yellow.

I've no idea whether this is actually allowed (by the rules, or in the snellman implementation). Is an Ice faction forced to terraform a hex to Ice as soon as it enters the neighborhood of its start color?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Snellman site allows ice factions to transform hexes to it's "location" color. So Brown Yetis can choose to use 1 spade to transform a black hex to either brown or ice. If they choose to transform black to brown and then to ice using two spades, they would have to take 2 spades in two separate actions to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.