$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

[redacted]» Forums » Rules

Subject: Feel like I'm missing something... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
one of this game made me feel like maybe we'd done something wrong.

we played the 4 player non-intro mission. One player immediately found the correct intel, called the helicopter and essentially won the game on his own. It made it feel as if discovering your enemies/teammates was essentially useless, because you do not need to coordinate at all, just whoever finds the correct intel can win it on their own (not to mention that I didn't have time to discover anything about anyone). To me, that hidden loyalty and investigation is the most interesting part of the game, yet it feels useless.

did we miss something? do both teammates have to escape on the helicopter?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Pedro Cotrim
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Define "immediately".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Minis painted "As you wish"
badge
PM me for commission painting info!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dettmarp wrote:
one of this game made me feel like maybe we'd done something wrong.

we played the 4 player non-intro mission. One player immediately found the correct intel, called the helicopter and essentially won the game on his own. It made it feel as if discovering your enemies/teammates was essentially useless, because you do not need to coordinate at all, just whoever finds the correct intel can win it on their own (not to mention that I didn't have time to discover anything about anyone). To me, that hidden loyalty and investigation is the most interesting part of the game, yet it feels useless.

did we miss something? do both teammates have to escape on the helicopter?


You did not miss something, but it sounds like all 3 of the others players did.

Sometimes people get lucky draws and start with intel in their hand. This does not happen that often, but it can happen. The game will play differently, but investigation and discovering loyalty becomes even more important. As soon as someone calls for an early helicopter, all of the other players MUST rush him to find out why. NOBODY knows what his intentions are. For two players, this could mean game end and, for the last player, possibly being down one helicopter from the beginning.

These factors cause most players in our group to sit on Intel for a few rounds while trying to establish loyalty anyway. This enables you to activate your partner and make the rush to win a fair fight. One of my favorite moves is to hand my partner (once I have discovered him) the enemy intel, this almost always lets him know he can trust me. Then we can work together on a smooth extraction plan.

The designers posted a thread on here about working on a new expansion. Perhaps that may provide another way of slowing down this "initial rush game"...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratagon wrote:
The designers posted a thread on here about working on a new expansion. Perhaps that may provide another way of slowing down this "initial rush game"...


Our previous expansion [redacted]: Garden Party already provided alternatives to this. In the base game, there are 2 intels in the game, with each of them having 1/6th of a chance (roughly) of being in a briefcase.
In the corresponding GP missions (for 5 & 6 players, but there is nothing stopping you from using the same setup for a 4p mission) there is only one intel, which has a 2/3rd chance of being in a briefcase, but we gave an additional way of opening the briefcase (the Tool shed).

Our next expansion focuses on something else
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kotro wrote:
Define "immediately".

Turn one, locked basement, turn 2 looted and found Intel, turn 3 called helicopter, turn 4 won the game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dettmarp wrote:
Kotro wrote:
Define "immediately".

Turn one, locked basement, turn 2 looted and found Intel, turn 3 called helicopter, turn 4 won the game


And as Patrick pointed out, what did the other players do on turn 3-4? :)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
dettmarp wrote:
Kotro wrote:
Define "immediately".

Turn one, locked basement, turn 2 looted and found Intel, turn 3 called helicopter, turn 4 won the game


And as Patrick pointed out, what did the other players do on turn 3-4?


I was locked in the basement, so I kept looking for a key, other player found a briefcase and went to the patio to open it, and 4th player planted a bomb in the garage. only 1 interaction between player the entire game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dettmarp wrote:

I was locked in the basement
? The basement doesn't STAY closed, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
dettmarp wrote:

I was locked in the basement
? The basement doesn't STAY closed, right?


well, without looking back at the rules (and based on your response, I assume we did this wrong) it stays locked until someone uses the room again to unlock it, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Minis painted "As you wish"
badge
PM me for commission painting info!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dettmarp wrote:
TDaver wrote:
dettmarp wrote:

I was locked in the basement
? The basement doesn't STAY closed, right?


well, without looking back at the rules (and based on your response, I assume we did this wrong) it stays locked until someone uses the room again to unlock it, right?


This may be one of the problems. The floor only stays locked while the Central Lock space is occupied.

Some of the rules can be a bit difficult to pick up at first, but the game is worth the investment. I have had some of my most memorable gaming experiences from this game.

The next time someone immediately calls for a helicopter, I would imagine your play group will have a much different response, now that you realize how important it is to investigate WHY they just called for that helicopter.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratagon wrote:


This may be one of the problems. The floor only stays locked while the Central Lock space is occupied.



This.

Central lock: Only while there is someone on it
Breaker box: Until someone switches it again

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.