Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Chaos in the Old World» Forums » News

Subject: Chaos is Leaving FFG's Catalogue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Which means this game and the expansion will be OOP soon, and permanently gone from FFG's website by Feb next year.

From the post chronicling the split between FFG and GW: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/57558/fantasy-flight-game...

Quote:
What is the timeframe for the conclusion of the business relationship?

All upcoming products for Games Workshop-licensed games have already been announced and will be released in upcoming months. All Games Workshop-licensed product lines will leave the Fantasy Flight Games catalog on February 28th, 2017.

What does this mean for Fantasy Flight Games products created from Games Workshop properties?

As stated above, after February 28th, 2017, product lines dealing with Games Workshop properties will end and will no longer be offered for sale by Fantasy Flight Games.

All upcoming products for these product lines have already been announced — there will be no new announcements of additional Games Workshop-licensed products. All announced, currently unreleased products will be released before the conclusion of the business relationship between Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop.

The full list of product lines leaving the Fantasy Flight Games catalog is:

• Black Crusade
• Blood Bowl: Team Manager
• Chaos in the Old World
• Chaos Marauders
• Dark Heresy
• Dark Heresy Second Edition
• Deathwatch
• Forbidden Stars
• Fury of Dracula
• Only War
• Relic
• Rogue Trader
• Space Hulk: Death Angel
• Talisman
• Warhammer: Diskwars
• Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
• Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game
• Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
• Warhammer 40,000: Conquest
• All Fantasy Flight Supply products showing imagery licensed to Games Workshop


Sad day folks.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And another one bites the dust!

I wonder if any other company will pick-up the mantle of Warhammer/40K RPGs and tabletop games... or maybe GW will do that themselves? (doubtful)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we need one of these threads for every FFG/GW product then.....
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
kubaman wrote:
And another one bites the dust!

I wonder if any other company will pick-up the mantle of Warhammer/40K RPGs and tabletop games... or maybe GW will do that themselves? (doubtful)


I wouldn't judge GW so quickly. Looking at just the last two years we have:

Space Hulk 4th Edition (2014)

The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth (2015)

Assassinorum: Execution Force (2015)

Lost Patrol (2016)

Deathwatch: Overkill (2016)

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower (2016)

And they've got Gorechosen promised to be released this month.

Certainly those are more work to put together than anything FFG has put out, but it seems pretty clear that GW is working to expand into non-wargame tabletop stuff.

___

bigGameGeek wrote:
I guess we need one of these threads for every FFG/GW product then.....


Not everyone trolls around the general forum, nor are they subscribed to every single Warhammer IP boardgame on the geek. I'd say this thread has some value.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nekku wrote:
I wouldn't judge GW so quickly.


Wow... I had no idea! blush

I guess I had basically given-up on GW, but it's good to see their reemerging interest in board-games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Devir
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Get your copy while still affordable!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Evans
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nekku wrote:
kubaman wrote:
And another one bites the dust!

I wonder if any other company will pick-up the mantle of Warhammer/40K RPGs and tabletop games... or maybe GW will do that themselves? (doubtful)


I wouldn't judge GW so quickly. Looking at just the last two years we have:

Space Hulk 4th Edition (2014)

The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth (2015)

Assassinorum: Execution Force (2015)

Lost Patrol (2016)

Deathwatch: Overkill (2016)

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower (2016)

And they've got Gorechosen promised to be released this month.

Certainly those are more work to put together than anything FFG has put out, but it seems pretty clear that GW is working to expand into non-wargame tabletop stuff.

___

bigGameGeek wrote:
I guess we need one of these threads for every FFG/GW product then.....


Not everyone trolls around the general forum, nor are they subscribed to every single Warhammer IP boardgame on the geek. I'd say this thread has some value.


Also they have:

Imperial Knights: Renegade
Stormcloud Attack: Faith & Heresy
Stormcloud Attack: The Ancient & The Greater Good
Stormcloud Attack: The Eldritch & The Beast
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nekku wrote:
kubaman wrote:
And another one bites the dust!

I wonder if any other company will pick-up the mantle of Warhammer/40K RPGs and tabletop games... or maybe GW will do that themselves? (doubtful)


I wouldn't judge GW so quickly. Looking at just the last two years we have:

Space Hulk 4th Edition (2014)

The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth (2015)

Assassinorum: Execution Force (2015)

Lost Patrol (2016)

Deathwatch: Overkill (2016)

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower (2016)

And they've got Gorechosen promised to be released this month.

Certainly those are more work to put together than anything FFG has put out, but it seems pretty clear that GW is working to expand into non-wargame tabletop stuff.

___

bigGameGeek wrote:
I guess we need one of these threads for every FFG/GW product then.....


Not everyone trolls around the general forum, nor are they subscribed to every single Warhammer IP boardgame on the geek. I'd say this thread has some value.

None of which looks as good as the handful of Warhammer FFG games I have .
8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they all seem to be heavily focused on the miniatures... not to mention being ridiculously overpriced.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
I guess we need one of these threads for every FFG/GW product then.....

Surely any irritation at seeing them appear is manageable unless someone is subscribed to nearly all the games on the list?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just ordered Horned Rat. Only 3 left on Amazon. Yesterday there were 11.
Better get them while they're hot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad news indeed cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
None of which looks as good as the handful of Warhammer FFG games I have .


1. Warhammer Quest Silver Tower is fantastic.

2. Some of those games leaving FFG's catalogue were originally GW games until they decided to license them to FFG as they got out of the board game business and concentrated on miniatures. Now they're returning to the market.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christel Puech
France
Sauve
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But those games was were edited almost 30 years ago (likeFury of Dracula 1987), and FFG did many change in the rules (cf Horus Heresy).

And GW never make games like Blood Bowl Team Manager or Chaos in the old world.

So, if they want to make games like this, they have many work to do, the world of Boardgame have make big change this two last decades.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen13 wrote:
But those games was edited almost 30 years ago (likeFury of Dracula 1987), and FFG did many change in the rules (cf Horus Heresy).

And GW never make games like Blood Bowl Team Manager or Chaos in the old world.

So, if they want to make games like this, they have many work to do, the world of Boardgame have make big change this two last decades.


I agree. Silver Towe, however, proves they know this, too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
just ordered Horned Rat. Only 3 left on Amazon. Yesterday there were 11.
Better get them while they're hot

I never wanted the expansion (and value Joel's enhanced upgrade cards more), but now I'm grabbing a copy just for collector's sakes...

A part of me always assumed Chaos in the Old World would always be around. Like Catan and Dominion.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ridel wrote:
Anduin wrote:
just ordered Horned Rat. Only 3 left on Amazon. Yesterday there were 11.
Better get them while they're hot

I never wanted the expansion (and value Joel's enhanced upgrade cards more), but now I'm grabbing a copy just for collector's sakes...

A part of me always assumed Chaos in the Old World would always be around. Like Catan and Dominion.


I decided a year ago I wasn't going to get Horned Rat, and just get a 5th player expansion for Cthulhu Wars instead as it scratches the same itch, but plays a bit quicker which is an advantage for 5 players to make sure we squeeze it in on a game night. But now that I can't have it shortly, I want it. Although the amazon listing went from $35 to $135 from partners pretty quick. and it seems to be out of stock everywhere else....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
CitOW is seriously one of the best board games ever made, in my opinion. It going out of print because of licensing issues is a damn shame and a loss for the industry.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
Avatar
mbmb
BloodySloth wrote:
CitOW is seriously one of the best board games ever made, in my opinion. It going out of print because of licensing issues is a damn shame and a loss for the industry.


Hopefully they will still hold the rights to the design and will just reskin it.

I personally think the GW theme adds little to the game, and the art and graphic design is poor (ugly and not easy to play with), so this would be a win-win if it happened.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
lamaros wrote:
BloodySloth wrote:
CitOW is seriously one of the best board games ever made, in my opinion. It going out of print because of licensing issues is a damn shame and a loss for the industry.


Hopefully they will still hold the rights to the design and will just reskin it.

I personally think the GW theme adds little to the game, and the art and graphic design is poor (ugly and not easy to play with), so this would be a win-win if it happened.


See that's where we differ, because I've always thought the theme here was perfectly married to the mechanics, where the characters and their themes and powers inform and are, in turn, expressed by how the game plays.

That being said, I do hope that FFG finds a way to retheme this appropriately so that the game can stay alive. Chaos in the Old World going out of print feels wrong to me.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
Avatar
mbmb
BloodySloth wrote:
lamaros wrote:
BloodySloth wrote:
CitOW is seriously one of the best board games ever made, in my opinion. It going out of print because of licensing issues is a damn shame and a loss for the industry.


Hopefully they will still hold the rights to the design and will just reskin it.

I personally think the GW theme adds little to the game, and the art and graphic design is poor (ugly and not easy to play with), so this would be a win-win if it happened.


See that's where we differ, because I've always thought the theme here was perfectly married to the mechanics, where the characters and their themes and powers inform and are, in turn, expressed by how the game plays.

That being said, I do hope that FFG finds a way to retheme this appropriately so that the game can stay alive. Chaos in the Old World going out of print feels wrong to me.


The mechanics could easily fit with many other themes, it just doesn't have to be WH. It would still have to be a destructive and conflict heavy theme, but that doesn't mean it's got to be WH or cthulhu or bust.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
just ordered Horned Rat. Only 3 left on Amazon. Yesterday there were 11.
Better get them while they're hot


FFG have it listed for a reprint. not sure if that means they will reprint it though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Burbage wrote:
Anduin wrote:
just ordered Horned Rat. Only 3 left on Amazon. Yesterday there were 11.
Better get them while they're hot


FFG have it listed for a reprint. not sure if that means they will reprint it though.


It's possible, but doubtful.

If they -do- print up and sell some more (and they probably could, although time's getting short), they won't say they're doing it until they hit up their retailers and say "hey, how would you like 50 copies of this expansion your customers were hunting for?" Do that for 20 retailers, and you've sold all 1000 copies, making... (60% of MSRP of $25 for 1000 copies, divided by half to cover production costs, is...) $7500.

It's not chump change for you and me, but to FFG/ANA? Who are dealing with a licensed IP in a dwindling time frame*? I'm betting they could care less about this sudden, expected spike in demand, and won't bother with a reprint.

(*It's also entirely possible, due to the terms of the license, that they were to cease production already, including reprints. The War40k Conquest stuff in the pipeline may have been a concession from GW, or something FFG paid an extra chunk on to print, but I'd bet it was planned like this)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my all time favorite games. With the right group there's nothing better than a night of constant and relentless demonic backstabbing. You really feel like you are ruining the Old World as the game goes on especially if you include the Horned Rat and those rats are just swarming city after city.

A shame that it will probably never be presented in this way again. Maybe FFG will reskin the game, but I think the theming of the Chaos Gods offered much to the experience.

Also I love FFG's version of Horus Heresy, but that appears to already be out of print and it's possible GW will release their own version of that in time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hopeful for a better: cover, name, theme and legible map.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.