Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Sadly, I won't be playing this game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alain Bruegger
Switzerland
Bern
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this will probably interest no one, but this has been bothering me for weeks now.

I am a big fan of Tolkien's various books and the novellas and short stories of H.P.Lovecraft. Also I really love card and board games. I am already knee-deep into the Lord of the Rings LCG and was really psyched to read the anouncement of the card game iteration of my favourite board game. Until I rememberd the reason why I stopped buying lotr lcg expansions...

The reason being: I prefer to play these two games in English. As I am very familiar with the literature, which I also exclusively read in English, it just feels akward to play with German translations.

However, for English Adventure Packs and Deluxe Expanions I have to pay double (!) the price of what the German version costs at the local FLGSs. This is ridiculous and I don't know how this incrase in price is justifiable. I understand being charge an extra fee because the lower margins and shipping cost, etc. But double?!

I used to just buy the expansions on amazon or bookdepository to avoid the huge shipping costs when ordering directly from the UK or USA. However, thanks to the introduction of FFG's infamous new policy, that does not allow online retailers to sell there product, I simply stopped buying. I simply can't afford to pay this much for a single expansion of an ongoing series or I'd rather invest in other games where I get more bang for the buck.

And just to say: As for this glorious idea of having a win-win-win situation where everyone profits...in my case no one profits, whether ffg nor my FLGS nor myself, because I just don't buy anything anymore.

This kind of interference with free market dynamics really frustrates me!
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point, had a similar problem a while ago. The solution was that I was able to find a helpful human being across the ocean that was willing to order some stuff for me and have it shipped to germany for reasonable shipping cost.

Of course this means you'd need a trustworthy connection, but in my case that turned out to be a minor problem after doing some investigation within my family and my colleagues at work...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered ordering from philibert? They're french but have lotr lcg in english. Their shipping costs to switzerland seem affordable.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel you!

I am all in with the LOTR lcg and just need to have it in english because the language is such an important part of the atmosphere building for me. Unfortunately the price difference is in fact huge and i still don't get how the german publisher can manage to sell the game so much cheaper. In germany you could for a while get good deals for english packs at thalia.de online shop in combination with a voucher but as you said those shops don't sell the game anymore.

But maybe i have to speak in past tense here because it seems that they significantly raised the prices of the german lcg expansions here in germany. My FLGS has the new german packs for 12€ now and even if you have look online the price difference between german and english packs shrunk. For me this is enough justification to keep buying the english packs
I can't speak for the prices in switzerland though.

The bottomline stays that LCGs are an expensive road. You start with one and you will want more. In the end with the LOTR it is worth it for me because the game is just amazing and i get a lot of fun for my money.
I probably buy the Arkham core set just to "try" and end up going all in with the game too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
How much are you paying on average for an adventure pack including shipping?
I could take one of my packs to the post office and ask how much it would cost to send to Germany to put together an average cost of a pack for you delivered so you can compare prices
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Bruegger
Switzerland
Bern
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys

Thanks for your replies. Just hearing that I am not the only bothered by this made me feel a bit better :-)

@SirWilibald: Of course that is the best solution...i have to re-evaluate my network I guess!

@giga: I'll check out philibert, thanks! Did not know that shop yet.

@Leonce: Indeed prices of the German packs also went up a bit, it seems. As of now in Switzerland I pay CHF 11 for a German AP and CHF 21 for an English one. So it's not exactly double anymore, but still a considerable difference.

@droogy: If you could check the shipping cost for me, that would be awesome, I am really curious what shipping from the UK to Switzerland would cost.

Best wishes!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
K bye thx for sharing
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
128
badge
22
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I feel for you. I would be really upset if they started translating board games into Swedish.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
That's kind of wild! Honestly, you should wait until a whole lot of them are released and buy them in bulk via eBay or even through someone here. I'm sure some people can ship them to you from United States in bulk, shipping will sting, but it won't be an obnoxious amount.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
Dark63 wrote:
That's kind of wild! Honestly, you should wait until a whole lot of them are released and buy them in bulk via eBay or even through someone here. I'm sure some people can ship them to you from United States in bulk, shipping will sting, but it won't be an obnoxious amount.


I don't know, last time I shipped a pack of cards to Germany it was $22.50!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goldmonkee wrote:
Dark63 wrote:
That's kind of wild! Honestly, you should wait until a whole lot of them are released and buy them in bulk via eBay or even through someone here. I'm sure some people can ship them to you from United States in bulk, shipping will sting, but it won't be an obnoxious amount.


I don't know, last time I shipped a pack of cards to Germany it was $22.50!


That's could also be the flat rate shipping option. I think there are different types of shipping and different services. Honestly, I haven't looked into it too much but that's how it works here. Then again, they do crank up the price once that package gets a little heavy.

Miniature Market has decent shipping rates for small packages in my experience. Often a group of us will all go in a couple of adventure packs. Even if you get four, even with shipping the price is pretty close to retail price.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Howsare
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You say Fantasy Flight's new policy doesn't allow online retailers to sell their games, but I see this available for pre-order at several sites. So it's definitely more nuanced than "no online retailers."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vlad3theimpaler wrote:
You say Fantasy Flight's new policy doesn't allow online retailers to sell their games, but I see this available for pre-order at several sites. So it's definitely more nuanced than "no online retailers."


I'm not sure but those sites are probably not exclusively online. For example, you can go to Coolstuffinc and get your stuff there. You can't do that with places like Amazon.

Then again, others might be able to correct me on this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Howsare
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
ACGalaga wrote:
vlad3theimpaler wrote:
You say Fantasy Flight's new policy doesn't allow online retailers to sell their games, but I see this available for pre-order at several sites. So it's definitely more nuanced than "no online retailers."


I'm not sure but those sites are probably not exclusively online. For example, you can go to Coolstuffinc and get your stuff there. You can't do that with places like Amazon.

Then again, others might be able to correct me on this.

Amazon has it listed, too, although its price is actually higher than msrp.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be to talk to Paul at boardgameguru. You could probably come to some kind of arrangement where he keeps aside all the packs until the cycle is complete and then buy them all at once. He's a really good guy and will often try to help out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have an adventure pack turning up at work next week so before I unwrap it I'll take it straight down to the post office for a shipping valuation
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be happy to help anyone in need of overseas shipping -- PM me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Guigue
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Be warned that there are import fees when you command via Philibert. Wellplayed.ch does not have this problem (and is generally cheaper than fatamorgana, other site in switzerland)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
For anyone that's interested i took a LOTR Adventure pack to my post office today to enquire about postage to Switzerland from the UK.

It is £2.45 for just the cards and £3.50 for cards with packaging
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.