$30.00
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be starting up a campaign of PACG with my daughters, and I plan on using the different characters from the class decks. What I would like to do is to have my daughters first figure out what class they'd like to play, then give them the characters from that class that they can choose from. But I'm having a hard time finding short descriptions of each of the classes that they can use to make their decision. I found a downloadable players guide on Paizo.com, but it doesn't have all the classes that they've made class decks. Anyone know of such a list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't myself.

It's really an RPG question, as the card game is based on the RPG.

If you post this question on the general Paizo PACG forum you may have better luck, as a number of the posters there also play the RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
This might help PACG Iconic Hero Backstories. While I'm here, I might as well mention PACG Blessing Deck Deities.

The class deck heroes have really short biographies. I found them listed out on an online site once along with Pathfinder RPG stats, but it wasn't clear whether it fell under community use so passed on using the information. The bios were so short I was also under the impression they might already be in the class decks; but I don't own any so I wouldn't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bunch are listed on the Pathfinder Wiki but not sure if they cover all the PACG classes:

http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Classes
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Categoryrestige_classes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
What I would like to do is to have my daughters first figure out what class they'd like to play, then give them the characters from that class that they can choose from.

One problem is that different characters within a class can play very differently. Rooboo (Monk) seems more like a Rogue. Mother Myrtle (Alchemist) effectively has divine spellcasting. Angban (gunslinger) looks like he would do just fine with bows and daggers, unlike other gunglingers who REALLY want firearms.

I looked at all the class deck (and base set and character add-on) characters before my wife and I chose who to play for our 3rd RotR campaign. I categorized the characters roughly by:

Melee
Ranged
Arcane
Divine
Evading
Rerolling
Damage reduction
Location examining
EDIT: Weaponless

There were other characteristics that I considered, but weren't top-level, like the ability to substitute skills, the power to heal, and finesse or firearms (either of which usually disqualified them from RotR play).

Perhaps if you gave your daughters a list like that, and they picked the 2-3 characteristics they would most like to play, then you could hunt through all the characters and find a few that match those requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of your responses! I did look around on some RPG sites (not sure why I hadn't before) and found one site that gave a good enough blurb for each class that just gave a bit of a flavor as to what each one is about.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes

They should be good enough to at least give some idea to my daughters what the difference between a witch, sorcerer, and wizard is (for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies. I thought you were looking for biographies on the characters.

Any wiki site devoted to Pathfinder should clear up confusion regarding what the classes are about. Using your example:

Wizard - learns magic by studying formulas and memorizing spells (that are wiped from memory when cast).

Sorcerer - Innate ability for casting magic.

Witch (called a warlock in D&D) - Casts spells like a sorcerer but the power comes from an otherworldly source that gifts abilities to the witch.

I had to read-up on the classes because the iconic characters mentioned their professions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem Neil. On a side note, you have my deep appreciation for your work in the Adventurers Guides that you created for RotR, S&S, and WotR P:ACG. They will greatly enhance our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick for them
It's tough to know in advance what style of gameplay they will want for an entire campaign. Different people like different things: some like smashing the bad guys, others like healing and support, yet others like to nab a ton of loot. Different characters are good at those various things. If you have two daughters, then pick three characters that go together and go through one or two scenarios. Then they might be able to choose which characters they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ended up with me playing a monk, and my daughters playing a witch and a ranger. They really enjoyed the first quest and are ready to play the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.