Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Bugden
Canada
Fall River
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I own a BUNCH of games. Of that bunch I've played maybe 20-30%. I bought them all with the express purpose of playing them, but at least 50% are still in shrink. Why?

For me, time is the biggest factor in the games not making the table - work, chores, and sometimes plain fatigue cut down on the number of hours I have free. Even games where I already know the rules aren't getting to the table often, those where I need to learn..well let's just say I haven't been reading much either.

Another is setup: time and a space to leave the game once started (I'm primarily a solo player) - having cats means a secure room which, unfortunately, I do not have. Yes, Vassal..I had arranged to learn a new game with a fellow BGGer but then the time thing happened, in that case to learn the rules.

Finally I'd have to say "rules paralysis" - I set a new game and then...what do I do? What was that rule again? Do I do it this way? Not knowing how to proceed has resulted in many a setup game being "demobilized".

I do have a plan - retire and PLAY MY GUTS OUT but that day (unless I get better at picking 6 or 7 of 49 numbers) is still about 7 years away...

Unfortunately I'd have to say that presently I'm simply a collector (sigh).

So what keeps you from playing, and those who do play, what's your secret?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Work, friends, and family. I never seem to get as much time as I'd like--there are weeks on end where I don't even touch a game, but crave them through a few minutes here and there on CONSIMWORLD and BGG....

Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
PELOTON
badge
Thrill of the Race
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no excuses -- have the time and should be playing more but either I am not in the mood, lack a partner, rules paralysis after set-up, or something else interferes. I love gaming; it's my #1 hobby. I mainly play solo, and have acquired many (perhaps too many to keep up with) new and interesting games over the past 3 years. I have actually played more games during those 3 years than during any other time in my life, so I should be satisfied but I am not because I still have many unplayed games on the shelf. I have significally cut down on the acquistion of new games recently and have been consentrating on playing the unplayed ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Clark
msg tools
mbmbmb
The education of future generations...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Designing. (also time, fatigue, lack of partners, but mostly this)

I'm always working on the next thing, and whatever playing I do get done is mostly preliminary testing of my own work to see if the engine turns over.
I have a large and growing collection, of old and new items, but it's become almost a reference library.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing. I play several days a week every week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing keeps me from playing... But many things keep me from playing as much as I might want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barber
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Work fatigue, schedule, and to be honest, I've sort of lost the mojo lately.
I've had a couple of game setup that never went anywhere and I just eventually gave up and packed them back away (one day I will finish this dang'on War Galley scenario I have setup!...it resides safely under my bed for now.)

I guess the urge to get my game on may be lessened by the summer weather and related activities (nobody can blame me for not bringing Maria on my vacation to Puerto Rico......ok maybe the hardcore among you can).

It's odd. I -want- to play some games...but as I start my brain just clouds up and I can't get anywhere. Does this mean I need a fresh new game to get my attention? (of course it does) Or maybe I just need a break...absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

Sorry to pontificate a bit but I guess if there is any group of people who would understand it's y'all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The terms of my probation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris
2ème
flag msg tools
Afghanistan Medal (Australia) - Op SLIPPER
badge
Two ravens sit on Odin’s shoulders after flying around the world each morning and whisper all the news which they see and hear into his ear; they are called Huginn and Muninn.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me at the moment the biggest factor is probably map size. I live in a 9m2 apartment (that's not a typo - Paris is expensive!) so there is clearly not a lot of room for gaming and even less to have one set up to come back to. All the larger games are kept in the country house which I occasionally get out to to play.

The good thing is though, I've discovered lots of great mini sized games. I have Nieuport 1600 (from Vae Victis) set up at the moment and it's actually an interesting little game I might not have otherwise discovered that uses rules derived from Ben Hall's Musket and Pike series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Time (Lack of).

angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
SeanFR wrote:
For me at the moment the biggest factor is probably map size. I live in a 9m2 apartment (that's not a typo - Paris is expensive!) so there is clearly not a lot of room for gaming and even less to have one set up to come back to.

Try this:

Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Lack of people to play against. Most folks play the lighter games at weekly game meet ups. Most boardgamers think an hour is to long for a game to take. So finding an opponent for a game of Unhappy King Charles! is near impossible. For a game of Britannia where you need 4 players it IS impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bugden
Canada
Fall River
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as getting friends involved, I'm going to try either Sails of Glory, Wings of Glory: WW2 Starter Set, Wings of Glory: WW1 Duel Pack, or Star Trek: Attack Wing. Maybe if I can get them interested in miniatures I can eventually hook them on "cardboard chits"... (That's my plan anyway devil )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Mallet wrote:
Time (Lack of).

angry
AND a 4th "Brain" since the 'Cat-tail'-one is BEST at "Tiddlywinks", "Crokinole", or "Marbles" whilst yet naught another! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squidley Inkjet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
You're going to voyage through a land of wonders.
badge
Stunned amazement will probably be your habitual state of mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found wargamers to be as rare as hen's teeth, and ones I want to spend my free time with, rarer still.

I'm at the point where I am dumping every game I don't enjoy enough to play solitaire (and I'm not a big solitaire wargame player - tend to enjoy computer games more, or co-op games like Arkham Horror, Elder Sign, or Space Cadets Away Missions). Have sold over 200 wargames, the majority, plus virtually all my RPG and minis stuff, and am slowly trying to work my way through the unplayed wargames to see which few are worthy of being kept. I am using the "Does it give you joy" clutter reduction method. Most wargames, as it turns out, don't. Frankly that was true even in times when I did have opponents. In retrospect, I bought more out of hope than out of fond memories. My best face to face gaming times tended to come from games like Dune and Advanced Civilization, not wargames.

The only non-solitairable wargames I plan to keep are EastFront, Rommel in the Desert and Commands & Colors: Ancients due to their high playability, on the off chance I do find a decent opponent someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Lack of people to play against.

Same here. There's only one wargamer (that I'm aware of) in my immediate locality, and he's one of those oddball people who refuses to play anything other than one very specific game (an old AH classic). We get together very occasionally to play, but between his personal quirks (which are minor, but still extant) and the fact that it's not a game I'm particularly interested in, our sessions aren't frequent.

I've tried a couple of different electronic assist programs (VASSAL and SunTsu), but between my crappy internet connection and my lack of familiarity with the the programs, I spend more time trying to figure out how to make the programs work than actually playing the game. I suppose with more familiarity it would be better, but I'm not sure I have the patience to invest the time necessary to get to that state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
Mallet wrote:
Time (Lack of).

angry
AND a 4th "Brain" since the 'Cat-tail'-one is BEST at "Tiddlywinks", "Crokinole", or "Marbles" whilst yet naught another! shake

Translation ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
PELOTON
badge
Thrill of the Race
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
Mallet wrote:
Time (Lack of).

angry

Translation ?

Rug-rats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
My barrier to more wargame play is that horrible 9 hours a day I endure that allows me to have things like food and a home.

I often contemplate whether the entire construct of work is a vestigial limb of times past where work was necessary to provide enough food and services for a village.

I highly suspect the majority of people in the first world work in jobs that aren't particularly necessary, and the only reason the jobs haven't been automated to a higher degree is so people have a way to obtain money.

I tip my hat to the lucky few who enjoy what they do. Unfortunately for me, I've traveled too far down the path I chose to effectively turn back. It's pretty amazing how much age discrimination I've witnessed as I hit 40. I cannot image how bad it would be trying to change careers now and be that 40 something without experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackcoostow wrote:

Finally I'd have to say "rules paralysis" - I set a new game and then...what do I do? What was that rule again? Do I do it this way? Not knowing how to proceed has resulted in many a setup game being "demobilized".

I find this to be one of the biggest problems to play more, but I find you just have to push through and push the cardboard around! Once you've done read the rules again and they make more sense and you can make much better progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Ives
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not really sure. I don't have a lot of wargames and my most recent purchase was the solitaire game Don't Tread on Me. I set it up and then seem to get frozen with a rule I'm not quite sure about and wind up tearing it down and putting it away to try again later. I have cats, toowhistle
I have Ogre DE which I've played more often because I was already familiar with it. {I'm 67} Still have my original second printing and GEV also.
I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
FuManchu wrote:
My barrier to more wargame play is that horrible 9 hours a day I endure that allows me to have things like food and a home.

I often contemplate whether the entire construct of work is a vestigial limb of times past where work was necessary to provide enough food and services for a village.

I highly suspect the majority of people in the first world work in jobs that aren't particularly necessary, and the only reason the jobs haven't been automated to a higher degree is so people have a way to obtain money.

I tip my hat to the lucky few who enjoy what they do. Unfortunately for me, I've traveled too far down the path I chose to effectively turn back. It's pretty amazing how much age discrimination I've witnessed as I hit 40. I cannot image how bad it would be trying to change careers now and be that 40 something without experience.

Time, likewise. I average 10 hours/day in the office, 75 minute commute each way. Occasional late hours get added to this (this week, Tuesday 7:15 am to 1:00 am, Thursday 9:15 am to 10:30 pm.)

I don't want to work these hours but I don't have enough to retire, and I consider myself quite fortunate to have any job at all, much less one that pays well and with health care.

Being well past 40, my strategy for remaining employed is to stay active in the technical community, and practice continual self-education (leaving even less time for play). One of the "leading lights" of my community suggests spending ~20 hours/week on self-education, I can usually get in 10-12 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
smic wrote:
Mallet wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
Mallet wrote:
Time (Lack of).

angry

Translation ?

Rug-rats

Ils vont les chercher loin, je trouve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squidley Inkjet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
You're going to voyage through a land of wonders.
badge
Stunned amazement will probably be your habitual state of mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
mtngrown wrote:

Being well past 40, my strategy for remaining employed is to stay active in the technical community, and practice continual self-education (leaving even less time for play). One of the "leading lights" of my community suggests spending ~20 hours/week on self-education, I can usually get in 10-12 hours.

Beware of following workaholics. One of my coworkers worked himself right into the grave (in his 40's).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.