• [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same dilemma. But I also have Paratrooper: ASL Module 2.

Pro's:
- New Scenarios
- revised scenarios
- more mapboards

Cons:
- The new boards aren't mounted (maybe a pro for you)
- Getting material you already have

If you don't have Paratrooper I'd say go for it as you'll more than double the amount of material over the original release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Richards
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nicer counters
More counters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
No. If you need more counters (e.g., for a Campaign Game), you'll find them in the CG module.

For normal scenario play, you're fine. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mae68it wrote:
I already have the previous edition.
Is it worth to buy the new edition?

Without knowing your financial situation, no-one else can really answer that question for you; you have to make up your own mind -- it's a very substantial investment.

What I can say is what people have already said: the new Yanks is a lot more than just the old Yanks in a new box.

* Chapter H pages in 2nd edition format (larger print) with errata integrated.

* All of the original scenarios from Yanks and Paratrooper, all of which have been updated (some quite substantially).

* 25 additional scenarios reprinted from now out-of-print sources; many of these have also been updated.

* American counters with very crisp, precise die-cutting, larger typefaces on vehicles/guns, etc. Of course, not much that's actually new (I like the new "Steeple" level markers).

* A total of 8 boards -- the original 4 from Yanks (16-19), the original 1 from Paratrooper (24), plus 40, 41 and 46. All of these are in the cardstock format now standard for ASL. IMO this format is superior for several reasons to the old mounted format, but of course your opinion may differ.

IMO, the package is well worth it, even though I already had pretty much all of the above. Mind you, I had the money available. If I was scraping to buy food every week, then I would likely have a different opinion.

We can't tell you whether you will think it's "worth it" or not. You have to make that decision yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't replace my WoA, my CoB/GH or Yanks, or my BV for that matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered it just for the better quality counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceP wrote:
mae68it wrote:
I already have the previous edition.
Is it worth to buy the new edition?

Without knowing your financial situation, no-one else can really answer that question for you; you have to make up your own mind -- it's a very substantial investment.

What I can say is what people have already said: the new Yanks is a lot more than just the old Yanks in a new box.

~snip~

IMO, the package is well worth it, even though I already had pretty much all of the above. Mind you, I had the money available. If I was scraping to buy food every week, then I would likely have a different opinion.

We can't tell you whether you will think it's "worth it" or not. You have to make that decision yourself.

What Bruce said. If you can afford it and you play ASL more than a couple of times a year, it's absolutely worth it. The difference in counters is pretty much night and day ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't really the worth, if you have the previous version.
Especially if you bought the map pack.
Tweaked older scenarios will attract some players.
I personally don't replay scenarios much - and the errata are freely noted in MMP's page.
The older counters are certainly less nice than the new ones, but I don't recall having felt frustration playing them.
I purchased RS, and it is sitting on its shelf, counters unpunched.

Now, indeed, if you have the money and really want the Yanks reprint, well, we are in a free world aren't we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well - I do not have the old copy and frankly do not play that much ASL. However, for me I am hoping this will boost my desire to play a bit more...regardless still waiting for one of the stores in Europe to have a copy to order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBigE wrote:
...regardless still waiting for one of the stores in Europe to have a copy to order.

These guys had it, but seems they are out of stock already:

http://www.hexasim.com/en/1834-Yanks-Second-Edition.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
norev wrote:
TheBigE wrote:
...regardless still waiting for one of the stores in Europe to have a copy to order.

These guys had it, but seems they are out of stock already:

http://www.hexasim.com/en/1834-Yanks-Second-Edition.html

It does look like it is out of stock. I emailed Brave New World in Koeln 3 weeks ago and they said there were getting a copy in two weeks....but I am still waiting to hear from them on availability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We have it in the UK should you be struggling to find continental EU stockists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.