9 Posts

1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boom Chakalaka
United States
flag msg tools
1: Do the red barriers around the Harwich tile mean that a freight train run from Holland to London has a minimum of four hexes for the bonus? I couldn't convince some of the other players that the crow doesn't care about the barriers and flies right over them, meaning it'd be just three two hexes for the bonus (if you enter through the closest London hex).

2: The director's cert (DC) and 2 other shares of a company in receivership are in the bank pool, the rest in the IPO. Player A buys one share at current stock price. Player B buys the other single share. Does player A have to buy the next two shares from the IPO, **at the initial opening price**, in order to then get the DC? I.e. the DC stays in the bank pool until someone has acquired three separate shares?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about your second question but:

bellynice wrote:
1: Do the red barriers around the Harwich tile mean that a freight train run from Holland to London has a minimum of four hexes for the bonus? I couldn't convince some of the other players that the crow doesn't care about the barriers and flies right over them, meaning it'd be just three hexes for the bonus (if you enter through the closest London hex).

The crow indeed does not care about the barriers; see this response from the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bellynice wrote:
2: The director's cert (DC) and 2 other shares of a company in receivership are in the bank pool, the rest in the IPO. Player A buys one share at current stock price. Player B buys the other single share. Does player A have to buy the next two shares from the IPO, **at the initial opening price**, in order to then get the DC? I.e. the DC stays in the bank pool until someone has acquired three separate shares?

Absolutely. Another item not explicitly covered in the rules. Sorry...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Hutton wrote:

Absolutely. Another item not explicitly covered in the rules. Sorry...shake

I learned long ago that it's far easier to discover problems in rules when you read them than when you write them.

Plus, players stress rulesets in ways that are impossible to imagine.
Case in point; my wife is playing the previous edition of Talisman. It's taking forever. She's playing the Skyvern(?); the rat-man who can eat followers and gain a life point. She gets the "Crown of Command" which can turn any monster, including the Dragon King (who you must kill to win the game) into a follower. She teleports to the top of the central tower where he resides, makes him a follower, eats him and places an extra life point on her character sheet, winning the game.
My wife is quite the lateral thinker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boom Chakalaka
United States
flag msg tools
OK, so another specific situation that came up last night:

ECR's president (Player A) h has just the DC. Nobody else owns that stock. In the subsequent operating round (1st of 3), Player A is forced to buy a train via refinancing, and he can't afford the option share, so he has a single ECR share after giving up the DC and option share.

The company is in receivership the next ORs and collects enough money for three trains. In the next stock round, Players B, C, D, then lastly A all buy an ECR share. It goes around again, same purchases, but now player A wants to buy a third share and regain the presidency. Is he out of luck since no single shares are left in the bank pool (only the DC remains)?

Whew ... Sorry for the long-windedness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth noting that the Director's cert could have been acquired by B if A had been willing to sell the single share he owned at the start of the stock round. But he wasn't willing since it would have benefited the leader, C, who also then would have been able to get a third share.

As a result, everybody went into the final set of ORs owning 1-2 shares of one of the strongest companies in the game (it had 3 express trains and good track) despite that it was stuck in receivership.

This was also a game where the H train was bought in the same OR as the first E train...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bellynice wrote:
OK, so another specific situation that came up last night:

ECR's president (Player A) h has just the DC. Nobody else owns that stock. In the subsequent operating round (1st of 3), Player A is forced to buy a train via refinancing, and he can't afford the option share, so he has a single ECR share after giving up the DC and option share.

The company is in receivership the next ORs and collects enough money for three trains. In the next stock round, Players B, C, D, then lastly A all buy an ECR share. It goes around again, same purchases, but now player A wants to buy a third share and regain the presidency. Is he out of luck since no single shares are left in the bank pool (only the DC remains)?

Whew ... Sorry for the long-windedness!

Correct. Out of luck. See section 6.3 last paragraph: "The director’s share cannot be bought directly from the bank pool; to gain the director’s certificate in this case a player needs to hold at least three ordinary share certificates. He then swaps those three with the director’s certificate in the bank pool."

This is not the only game where this happens - some of the 1829 north companies can end up in this state as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Hutton wrote:
See section 6.3 last paragraph: "The director’s share cannot be bought directly from the bank pool; to gain the director’s certificate in this case a player needs to hold at least three ordinary share certificates. He then swaps those three with the director’s certificate in the bank pool."

This is not the only game where this happens - some of the 1829 north companies can end up in this state as well.

Although this statement about 1829 is true, when Francis reimplemented the game as 1825 he added the rule that a player may buy the Director's Certificate from the pool in such circumstances by returning a share from hand into the pool. This leaves the player with two shares (in the form of the Director's Certificate) and the pool with one. (In 1862, the Director's Certificate is worth 3 shares instead of two, so the equivalent rule would have been to allow a player to buy the Director's Certificate from the pool and return two ordinary certificates).

Is there a specific reason you didn't include this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Menard
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
This could lead to the odd situation where a company couldn't ever make it out of receivership.

Ex. 4 player game
A holds 20%
B holds 20%
C holds 20%
D holds 10%
Directors share in the pool (30%).

In this case, no player could become director unless someone else sold 10%, so the company would continue to remain in receivership. (likely not for long, but technically possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.