Subject: Activate System versus Opposing a mission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin

St Louis Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
I haven't played yet - just reading the rulebook - but I'm a bit confused about the Command Phase.

Lets say the opposing player plays a mission and declares the system. Am I then able to take a leader from my pool and just do an Activate on that system, move some units, and then use that same leader to oppose the mission? Since in the rule book it states, in bold, that you "use the skill icons of all of his leaders in the system".

Is a single leader able to perform double duty such as this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
No. You can only send a leader from your leader pool to the system to oppose. Activating a system to move units can only be done on your turn.

The only things you can do during your opponents turn is oppose a mission with a leader or add a leader to a combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grossman
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't activate a system when you oppose a mission. You just move your leader from the leader pool to the system where the mission is located. You can't move any ships to that system. Because you used your leader to oppose the mission, they are no longer in the leader pool and not available to use in that round to activate systems.

EDIT: ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
And that's where a lot of the decision-making and strategy in the game. When you oppose, you have to decide if it's worth it to "spend" that leader to do oppose the mission, or if you really need to save it to move units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin

St Louis Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
I see.

So just to clarify though, if on one of my previous turns I had Activated that system, moved some units, and then the opposing player decided to attempt a mission in that system, I would still get to use that first leaders' icons (if any) for opposition, correct?

I guess I'm just stuck on the bold text I quoted above.

Or are only leaders which I specifically pull from the pool to oppose the mission allowed to contribute?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
All leaders participate in missions in their system unless they are captured. If they are captured, they only participate if the mission targets them, specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
PoweredBySoy wrote:
I see.

So just to clarify though, if on one of my previous turns I had Activated that system, moved some units, and then the opposing player decided to attempt a mission in that system, I would still get to use that first leaders' icons (if any) for opposition, correct?

I guess I'm just stuck on the bold text I quoted above.

Or are only leaders which I specifically pull from the pool to oppose the mission allowed to contribute?

As Craig says, all leaders already in the system before would automatically oppose and contribute their icons (unless captured). Note, though, that the player opposing the mission still has the option to bring in additional leader from the leader pool to help, also.

Even if the leader in the system already has no matching icons, it still opposes, just rolls 0 dice. The attempting player must still get at least one success. The only time an "attempt" is automatically successful is when it's not opposed at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.