BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: 15 years after: where were you on 9/11? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
And before the Brits get all sweaty, I can tell you exactly where I was on 7/7. Sitting on a roadside curb holding a bandage to my neck after some jerk-ass farmer T-boned my Buick.

So I won't be here this weekend (all right, hold down the cheering). Normally, I like to spend time with family, friends, beer, and football games. But this Sunday, I'm going to a memorial service for the almost 3,000 people who died on 9/11. So, if anybody wants to, they can talk here about where they were when the planes hit the WTC. Or they can talk about what's happened since.

Or, more likely, it will devolve into 25 pages of painful discussion concerning the melting rate of steel beams, the Illuminati, or whether pigs have wings. Bah.

Where was I?

It was close to the time to take my daughters to school. I'm in the kitchen, throwing together my lunch as my wife braids our youngest daughter's hair. The TV is on, but no one is really paying that much attention, until they broke into programming (I think it was the Today Show) to tell us it appeared a commuter plane had crashed into or near one of the towers. I looked up, watching for a few minutes as my kids grabbed their backpacks. I noted the NYC TV helicopters fluttering around the building with a bit of derision.

Then:

The side of the other tower exploded into flames, and someone on TV yelled that they flew a plane deliberately into the tower.

God help me for what I did next.

I told my wife to grab her keys and take the kids to school. I had to get to work. My cell phone was already to my ear as I called my military affairs reporter (she lived on an Air Force base with her husband, a lieutenant). I told her to stay put, to see what happened to the airport (shared with the military). It normally took me almost an hour to drive to work down in Texas -- this time I made it in 40 minutes exactly. All the way down I'm calling reporters telling them where I want them, listening on the radio.

Then I stopped talking. They just said on the Dallas news station the first tower had collapsed. The rest of the way, I drove in angry silence.

My wife and kids didn't see me for three days. I slept at the newspaper, ate there. It was a huge story in a military town.

It still pisses me off. Big fucking time. But I still can't believe I didn't stop to comfort my children or give my wife a hug. Nobody knew what was going to happen next. God help me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: 15 years after: where were you on 9/11? "Jingoist Jingle"?
whistle ~"Where were YOU, at 4:20 near the 7-11 on 9/11?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmbmbmbmb
avoiding the 1000's of people dancing in the street Mr trump saw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the shower and had just turned on the radio when I caught the first part of a news report. Took me a minute to process what they were saying, then it was grab a robe and dash up the steps to the TV.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't really have an interesting 9/11 story. I was at work and someone heard on the radio a small plane hit one of the towers. This was before the days of Google News and websites were slammed. Someone else had a small TV in their office so we all piled in there to watch. The company had a small branch office in WTC1 so there was some concern (they all made it out). I remember one of the towers falling on TV, but in retrospect I don't know if that was a live image.

My (now) wife worked a few blocks away downtown so I went over to her office after the towers fell. I ended up hanging around there for most of the day just so we were together.

We had a friend from Holland staying with us at the time, she ended up being stranded in the US for nine days longer than scheduled as the flights worked themselves back out.

For some reason my most distinctive memory of that day is walking through Constitution Plaza looking up at a totally clear, totally empty sky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMK
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
May neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, The angels protect you, and heaven accept you.
badge
May your troubles be less, and your blessing be more. And nothing but happiness, come through your door.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. 15 years. It doesn't feel like it has been that long. The rippling affects of 9/11 can still be felt in so much I do each day.

I was in my 6th grade geography course (1st period). Our teacher mentioned that a plane hit the WTC at the start of class, but the full details weren't known yet so he proceeded with class as normal. He gave a lecture or explained a lesson or something (I don't remember) and then gave us private work time to work on some maps we had to draw and populate with countries and capitals. He turned the TV on and by that time the second tower had already been hit.

In my 2nd period class our principle gave a school wide announcement letting everyone know what happened and instructing teachers who didn't have access to a TV to find one for their kids to watch and to let any child who wanted to call a family member do so.

We all spent the rest of the day watching the news and wondering want was going to happen next. That was the first time I realized there were crazy people in the world that hated America enough to kill themselves to hurt us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At home watching Dr who on DVD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was in class at college (computer programming class).

When I got out, some people were watching television in a lounge, and I asked them what movie was on.

Then they told me it wasn't a movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I woke up to it on the news before getting ready to go to high school. I still went into school. I think the first time I saw the towers collapse I was in journalism class (I wrote for the school paper) which had brought in the box TV on the A/V cart. Made my high school drama seem not so important. My other memory of that day is looking up into the sky and seeing no planes- the planes fly directly over our house about 10 miles from one airport and on line with LAX about 30 miles away. It was eerie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I woke up, turn the news on, and CNN was talking about the first hit. Got to see the second one happen before driving to work, worried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had bought a new album a few nights before (Flogging Molly, I believe). So on my way to work, I was listening to music. I remember thinking I was having great luck, because I had just happened to be running crazy late and it was my day to open up the warehouse, but there was so little traffic on the road. I was making great time. Still showed up late and rushed in to start apologizing, but all the techs were huddled around a TV in the lounge. And that's when I discovered why there were so few people going about their normal routine. I could look back on it after the fact and recognize that Denver was just about a ghost town, but at the time it was going on, it was just another day to me where I had the good fortune of light traffic for once.

So I used 9/11 as an excuse for showing up late to work.

Maybe I am a shitty person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching the news about the first plane crash, got to see the second one hit live a few minutes later. Went to college later that day a no one really care it. The next day after hearing the media hype everyone at college was panicky. Interesting what the media can do in a short time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
It was the first major news event I learned about on the internet, back when I was in grad school. It was dial-up, so there wasn't video embedded everywhere, for which I was grateful when I heard about what it was like. To this day, I've avoided ever seeing more than a moment of footage from that day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At home, about a week from grtting on a plane to Japan. Plane flew, life went on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to step out the front door to head to school (I was in 6th grade) when the first building was shown on Good Morning America. I lived next to the school, so I stayed until just after 8:15 before walking over to the building since I didn't have to be at school until 8:20. I was the first one in my class to know anything about it because my classmates all had to leave home earlier than I did.

I have no idea what I was doing on 7/7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I was on my way to the office listening to the radio when the report of the first tower being struck came on. By the time I got to work, a television was on and everyone stood awestruck as we watched the terrible events unfold.

At the time I worked for the state's Nuclear Safety Department and part of my job was to respond to incidents involving radioactive material. We were told around noon that all State offices were assumed to be under threat of attack, so they sent ALMOST everyone home -- with the exception of my boss and I, because, the Governor's office wanted to maintain the ability to respond to rad material incident. So, we sat in the conference room and watched the news reports roll in.

I called my wife to let her know what was happening, that while some of our friends were released for the day, I was stuck at the office and would be for an unknown period. It was then that my wife said the words that proved to me I had married the right woman: "Do you need food? I'll get you guys lunch."

She ran out and got, not just lunch, but dinner and a snack, for me -- and my boss. Despite the horror and uncertainty of that day, I have this one, fond memory -- that in a crisis I can count on my darling wife to focus on what's needed most at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Midtown Manhattan, two blocks from the Empire State Building.

That was a crazy day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was almost done with a a five month assignment in Germany due to fly home the following Saturday. My wife and kids had flown home to be here for the start of school.

So I was in the office in Germany and my wife called to tell me a plane had hit one of the towers. My colleagues and I checked for news online periodically and then more often after the second plane hit. Then we found a TV (I think, maybe streaming news) and watched with horror as the collapse happened. My German colleagues were very sympathetic and almost deferential the rest of the day. My wife was panicking (even though I was pretty sure a remote Detroit suburb was very low on any list), because I wasn't home. That was what made me feel the most helpless.

I eventually got to come home two weeks late on one of the first flights (not carrying big shots like President Clinton) that was allowed to fly in. So it got me a few more weeks in Germany and I got to visit Wurzburg and a salt mine between Frankfurt and Stuttgart with a colleague as a tourist before coming home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
In bed in Tokyo, asleep. My friend called to ask if I'd seen what was going on. Didn't get much sleep that night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My mom called to turn on the TV. I watched the second plane hit live but I didn't realize it at the time. I thought it was a repeat of previous footage. It took a minute or two for me to work it out.

Then when the FAA closed US airspace, I grabbed my portable transceiver and tuned into the approach and centre air traffic channels and listened to the Canadian controllers hand guide planes into airports.

A while later the FBI and RCMP showed up at my brother-in-law's small telecomm company. One or more of the hijackers were in possession of his telephone cards that his company sold. The authorities wanted his computer records.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the WTC complex. The first plane hit causing confusion and smoke in the vents.

Then people started hitting the plaza and the screaming and panic started.

The 2nd plane hit overhead into the South Tower as I exited. The rest of the day is a different longer story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
avoiding the 1000's of people dancing in the street Mr trump saw.

In New Jersey apparently. It was on my street and everything. Thousands. The best cheering. High energy. Can't find cheering like that anywhere folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
On 9/11 I was at work in an office tower in downtown Minneapolis. A distant co-worker came running into the meeting room panting and blurted out that the World Trade Center had been hit by airplanes. Office towers were now terrorist targets and I got to leave work. I went biking around downtown with a friend and took pictures. I didn't lose my mind then and I don't lose my mind now over terrorist attacks. We are bombing them afterall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At my first or second week in college in Maryland. Thought the first radio report was about a small prop plane. My honors class happened to have a large projector TV. By the time I got there we saw everything that happened live after the first plane hit. Someone ran in from upstairs and said a helicopter is flying around bombing the Pentagon, so apparently there was tons of panicking and misinformation. This sounds stupid but I was convinced for a few hours that the USA was totally kaput, thinking the attack was just the beginning by the Russians (or KGB-led coup) planning a full-scale nuclear strike, and thinking NORAD would be attacked next. No suspicion about Islamist terrorism. Maybe I had grown up with too much Cold War paranoia or just too many wargames... The next day my PoliSci 101 class was scheduled to study Classical Liberalism. The prof said "Well, we're not going to talk about Liberalism today," and we proceeded to discuss terrorism/al Qaeda that day.

Had some neighbors from NJ that were in the WTC but they made it out thankfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Or, more likely, it will devolve into 25 pages of painful discussion concerning the melting rate of steel beams, the Illuminati, or whether pigs have wings. Bah.

For some time afterwards I wondered why the NYFD didn't know the buildings were about to collapse. This seems to have been the most serious professional dereliction imaginable, presumably based on the assumption that the towers were built according to the NYC code, which was not the case. Little is known about this because the entire command staff at the scene were wiped out. The collapsing rubble struck the rest of the building with a force that was roughly 25 times what it was designed to withstand, so the towers went down just as the mathematics would suggest.

At the time I recall thinking a pall of smoke that big was going to get someone into a lot of trouble, and then the second aircraft hit. At that point it seemed to be raining planes, and that no one was doing anything. This was reminiscent of Pearl Harbor. The BBC dragged in a young structural engineer who had poor English combined with a very strong Middle Eastern accent, but who managed to convey major doubts about the buildings' longevity. I remember thinking they really should be piping the man's words through to those in charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.