GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,080 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Two Cores vs Core+Dunwich Legacy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Considering that Dunwich will come out pretty soon after core release, do I still need 2 cores for 3-4 players or can I just use core+Dunwich?

I think the answer is yes, as there will be enough cards to deckbuild (unless there are less the 4 basic weaknesses?)
There might be some shortage of tokens (clues/supply/etc...) but I think that's the only issue...

Am I missing something? I remember in LotR you only got 2 dials which was more significant but here if it is just tokens, than well, I can use replacements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Feels like you might be okay with just Core+Deluxe Expansion. That said, 4 players would mean that it won't allow for much deck building, you may literally have enough to build very stiff builds at first. I'd recommend going that way regardless and just flesh it out with mini expansions as those will surely flow like wine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Considering FFG just lost the GW license their designers should have plenty of time to focus on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just a short calculation I thought about:
Base is supposed to have 10 (level 0) + 4 (higher level) per sphere and ~25 neutral cards (let's assume all level 0)
So that give us 75 level 0 player cards which is just enough for 2 decks of 30 cards.

Dunwich is 118 player cards (59 in two copies), so that's more than doubling the core game player card pool.
Assuming that we have 7 (level 0) + 3 (higher level), low balling the numbers and all the neutrals at level 0, that gives us another 88 level 0 player cards.

Or an estimated total of ~160 level 0 player cards which should be enough for 4 investigator decks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my plan. Core plus Dunwich plus get friend to do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Howsare
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
koraldon wrote:
Base is supposed to have 10 (level 0) + 4 (higher level) per sphere and ~25 neutral cards (let's assume all level 0)
So that give us 75 level 0 player cards which is just enough for 2 decks of 30 cards.

Dunwich is 118 player cards (59 in two copies), so that's more than doubling the core game player card pool.
Assuming that we have 7 (level 0) + 3 (higher level), low balling the numbers and all the neutrals at level 0, that gives us another 88 level 0 player cards.

Or an estimated total of ~160 level 0 player cards which should be enough for 4 investigator decks...

I read it as 59 player cards total, not 59 different cards with 2 copies each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koraldon wrote:
do I still need 2 cores for 3-4 players or can I just use core+Dunwich?

I think the answer is yes

love when ppl give 2 alternate choices and then the answer you get is "yes".

Im gonna say maybe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
vlad3theimpaler wrote:
koraldon wrote:

At FFG site it is written - "armed with fifty-nine new player cards (including a complete playset of each) that allow you to pursue new deck-building"

A complete play set means 2 copies of each card, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
koraldon wrote:

At FFG site it is written - "armed with fifty-nine new player cards (including a complete playset of each) that allow you to pursue new deck-building"

True, but will there be 5 new character cards included in that fifty-nine? Leaving two copies each of twenty-seven unique player cards? Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Howsare
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
koraldon wrote:
vlad3theimpaler wrote:
koraldon wrote:

But it could also mean that within those 59 cards, there is a playset of each (2 copies of everything but investigator-specific cards.)

So it's either 59 player cards and 97 non-player cards, or about 118 player cards and 38 non-player cards.

I'm guessing it's the former rather than the latter, but maybe someone that's played the LotR lcg can clarify what the breakdown of cards in that game is normally like, since this will likely be similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I understand the investigator marker cards are separate size.

But you are correct that the three unique investigator cards should be counted.
So it leaves 44 cards for deck building. Guessing eight per sphere and four neutral.

The question is how many level zero... I can see FFG reserving most of the high level cards for the mythos packs.
Just quick and dirty 6 level zero per sphere and 4 neutral, a total of 68 cards.
That will still be sufficient to build two more (limited) investigator decks.
That leaves 53 non player cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's most likely that there are a total of 59 player cards
That would give:
5 investigator cards
59 player cards
92 encounter cards, in 11 sets

The alternative is:
5 investigator cards
118 player cards
33 encounter cards, in 11 sets

I just can't see there being only 33 cards for 2 scenarios, when the base set includes 110 for 3 scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget you need the act and agenda decks, for 2 scenarios could be about 12-14 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellicon wrote:
That would give:
5 investigator cards
59 player cards

The alternative is:
5 investigator cards
118 player cards

I just can't see there being only 33 cards for 2 scenarios, when the base set includes 110 for 3 scenarios.

Some of the encounter sets from the Core are most likely being reused here, though....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hellicon wrote:
That would give:
5 investigator cards
59 player cards

The alternative is:
5 investigator cards
118 player cards

Not all 59 player cards will be two of a kind.
My bet is like I said before:
15 Investigator and unique cards.
88 Player cards (44 unique, 2 each)
53 Non player cards, out of which 12 or so are the act/agenda decks.
Total: 156 Cards (and 59 unique player cards)

The Alternative is 15 one each and 22 cards two each. That gives just 4 new unique cards per sphere which seems very constrained.

Where are you taking the 11 sets from? And do we have any information that the enemy sets form the core game will not be re-used?

p.s. I think that the deluxe set will be player card heavy and the mythos packs will be encounter set heavy due to the fact that you build your deck at the start of the deluxe deck and than only upgrade between adventures...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the card numbering and using the information at arkhamdb.com, if it follows the pattern in the core set then given that:

Investigators are cards 1-5
Investigator specific cards are 6-15
Card 18 is Guardian
Card 26 is Rogue
Card 28 is Mystic
Card 38 is a neutral weakness

then the only way that numbering works with equal player cards per class is 4 cards (2 copies of each) per class.

So I think it's very likely that the cards are split this way (or very close):

5 investigator cards

5 investigator-specific player cards
5 investigator-specific weaknesses
40 class specific cards - 2 copies each of 4 cards per class
8 neutral cards - 2 copies each of 4 cards
1 card I can't work out, probably neutral?

For a total of 59 player cards (plus investigators), as in the preview.

Scenario encounter sets (including act/agenda and location cards) in the base game appear to be around 16-20 cards each. Other sets seem to vary from 3-7 cards, mostly around 6-7. So I think the encounter cards will be

38 or so cards in the two scenario encounter sets, average 18 cards each
54 or so cards in the remaining nine encounter sets, average 6 cards each

For a total of 92 encounter cards, as in the preview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.