Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why has nobody ever had this idea?
This box sounds genius. A complete gaming system ready to take with you? Limited by your imagination? This could be any Eurogamer's (who is not offended by abstract-ish design) wet dream. (and I'm not even the biggest eurogamer)

I have high hopes for this one. It's a sure preorder for me.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm cautiously optimistic. It might end up being a touch more abstract than I prefer, but I won't really know until I see more rulesets. I'm trying to think of games I like that could be re-implemented using these components. Not exact re-implementations, but capturing the general flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Clawf1ng3r wrote:

This box sounds genius. A complete gaming system ready to take with you?

I'm thrilled that you like the concept so much, and I hope you will find it to be as good as you think! The most important feature of the Green Box is indeed that you can bring along dozens of games in a very small space.

Clawf1ng3r wrote:
Why has nobody ever had this idea?

That's what I thought as well when I came up with it. Turns out someone did have a quite similar idea about 15 years ago, and created a game system called Piecepack. I am of course hoping that my system will prove to be even better ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I'm cautiously optimistic. It might end up being a touch more abstract than I prefer, but I won't really know until I see more rulesets.

The degree of abstraction is a very difficult balance. I hope the system will be as generic and (at least) as versatile as a standard deck of cards, so it has to be quite abstract so as to not be too limited. But I personally prefer thematic games myself, so I've tried to find a semi-abstract middle ground in designing the symbols especially.

I try to focus on finding relevant uses for the different symbols in the original games I develop for the system, and I feel that games like Grenade Salad, Crafty Explorers and The Gauntlet succeed in reducing the abstract feel.

peakhope wrote:
I'm trying to think of games I like that could be re-implemented using these components. Not exact re-implementations, but capturing the general flavor.

Let me know if you come up with any suggestions, and I can add them to the website!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the designer said, this is not a new concept. Piecepack, Looney Pyramids, and Decktet are other attempts at generic gaming systems (though the pyramids were not originally intended as such).

I own all three, and I would say the Piecepack is probably the least useful. I think it tries too much to be like existing games so I would say my advice would be to focus on the development of unique games more-so than trying to copy the feel of existing ones. If you focus too much on trying to replace other games, I worry you might fall into the trap of 504 were the games are okay but not as good as similar non-generic versions. One area I think Looney Pyramids and Decktet have been most successful is in building and supporting a community. Things like a wiki/database of games and design contests will go a long way to keep this system alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at games I own or have rated highly, it seems that the modern design trick of putting rules on cards is very popular with me. Most of the games I enjoy have multi-use cards, or tile/spaces with more than just a single symbol. Or they are bigger games that have way more bits than the green box should reasonably provide. Or they rely on player special powers or other components that would need (at a minimum) printed sheets.

I remain intrigued, but less optimistic.

As for suggestions, I think perhaps green box could provide games that emulate the essence of Jaipur (ironically using the tiles for player hands, and the cards as set rewards), or Balloon Cup. Other games that I haven't played (and don't want to) that might fit the components reasonably well would include Coloretto and Biblios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

ras2124 wrote:
I own all three, and I would say the Piecepack is probably the least useful. I think it tries too much to be like existing games so I would say my advice would be to focus on the development of unique games more-so than trying to copy the feel of existing ones. If you focus too much on trying to replace other games, I worry you might fall into the trap of 504 were the games are okay but not as good as similar non-generic versions.

I hope that a combination of good unique games and remakes of popular favourites will prove the virtue of the system. I definately think of portability as a key factor, being able to put a bunch of nice games in your pocket. two obivous advantages the Green Box will have over 504 is that it's intended to be A) small and B) cheap :-)

ras2124 wrote:
One area I think Looney Pyramids and Decktet have been most successful is in building and supporting a community. Things like a wiki/database of games and design contests will go a long way to keep this system alive.

I wholeheartedly agree!

peakhope wrote:
Looking at games I own or have rated highly, it seems that the modern design trick of putting rules on cards is very popular with me. Most of the games I enjoy have multi-use cards, or tile/spaces with more than just a single symbol. Or they are bigger games that have way more bits than the green box should reasonably provide. Or they rely on player special powers or other components that would need (at a minimum) printed sheets.

You are indeed describing a branch of games that the Green Box will never be able to cover (at least not without expansions )
I guess Grenade Salad and The Gauntlet would be the current games that come the closest to the kind of experience you are after, but there are obviously limits to the depth and complexity that the set can offer.
https://greenboxofgames.com/2016/09/04/the-gauntlet-game-16/
https://greenboxofgames.com/2016/05/15/grenades/

peakhope wrote:
As for suggestions, I think perhaps green box could provide games that emulate the essence of Jaipur (ironically using the tiles for player hands, and the cards as set rewards), or Balloon Cup. Other games that I haven't played (and don't want to) that might fit the components reasonably well would include Coloretto and Biblios.

Coloretto is an obvious choice, as the design favours set collection mechanisms. The other games you mention are unfamiliar to me, but I will definately be looking into them!

I also have adaptations of Sleuth and Hanabi currently in drafts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwarv wrote:
You are indeed describing a branch of games that the Green Box will never be able to cover (at least not without expansions )
I guess Grenade Salad and The Gauntlet would be the current games that come the closest to the kind of experience you are after, but there are obviously limits to the depth and complexity that the set can offer.
https://greenboxofgames.com/2016/09/04/the-gauntlet-game-16/
https://greenboxofgames.com/2016/05/15/grenades/

It might be worth setting up some kind of standard template for additional information to supplement game rules. For example, a ruleset might include a letter-sized (A4?) "reference card" that could contain special rules, lookup tables for dice rolls, special player powers, etc.

It wouldn't actually change anything. But making additional outside-the-rulebook rules be considered "normal" might open up the design space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
That's quite a good idea! Self-print components that are created based on a template. The size of the template should fit the box, so you can easily keep the prints for the next game, which means 20x10 cm for the current edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
(...) putting rules on cards (...) multi-use cards, or tile/spaces with more than just a single symbol (...) player special powers

Your input has started another train of thought for me.

Maybe the set could be expanded to include som kind of "action deck", containing a set of standardised icons to suggest player actions. This could be used for having unique powers, for worker placement or other kinds of character/action selection.

Lol, the first edition is not even done printing, and I'm already adding expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.