6 Posts

Fields of Green» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion suggestions for Vangelis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikey Moo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the main games out of the way, I thought I'd throw out my 2 cents on what I'd like to see in an eventual (hopefully) expansion. And of course, I'm more of an idea man but if anyone can come up with ways to make these happen, it would be Vangelis Bagiartakis!

Let me know what you think of these and if anyone has any other ideas they'd like to contribute, feel free to add them. It's a good way to kill some time while we wait for the base game.

More Player Interaction
This game has so many elements that I like but the one thing that seems to be a bit lacking that I could see from the reviews and rules is player interaction. I know it has the card drafting element where you can deny your opponents from the cards they need but that's a fairly limited form of interaction. So here's a couple other ideas that I think would keep you more engaged with you opponents.

1) Contracts - A good example of what I mean is found in Port Royal: Ein Auftrag geht noch. There are various contracts that are laid out at the beginning of the game and the first person to fulfill the contract gets the highest reward (money and VPs) and each consecutive player to complete it gets a bit less. This keeps you more engaged in what your opponents are building as you race to be the first to fulfill the contracts that are appropriate for your farm.

2) Auctions - Not exactly sure what form this would take but farm auctions are a big part of farm life. Maybe you have a choice of a couple pieces of equipment or buildings that are put out at the beginning of a year and as the year progresses players can place bids on them like you do in Keyflower. Something like this creates interactions between players.

3) Lousy Neighbors - Again, not sure exactly what this could be but even in rural settings, neighbors don't always get along and can be kinda petty with some of the things they will do to annoy one another. I'm not talking anything sever like burning down your crops but what about some kinda cards that can be used to drain some of an opponents water or sabotage their tractor or putting laxatives in the pig's slop. Just a bit of optional "stick it to you" couldn't hurt for those that like that type of interaction. A good example of how the drafting of these cards could be worked into the game is how they did it in Steampunk Rally. They have another pile of cards called boost cards that you play againt opponents rather than using to build your contraption.

I'll probably edit this later with more ideas but just wanted to throw out some ideas that I'd love to see in any eventual expansion (aside from 6 player support that is).

Edit: You know, the more I think about it, I really can't think of anything different I'd like to see in an expansion apart from more player interaction options. Too much else may just ruin an already good formula. So I guess all I'd like to see apart from some of my above suggestions would just be more of the same; more cards for the existing categories and definitely expanding the game to six players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Between rounds, or maybe right after the event for the round is displayed, players can choose to sell equipment at auction. Starting with the start player and working around the table.

Maybe they have no further use for it ... maybe they just have to sell it to pay the bills!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
Between rounds, or maybe right after the event for the round is displayed, players can choose to sell equipment at auction. Starting with the start player and working around the table.

Maybe they have no further use for it ... maybe they just have to sell it to pay the bills!
That's actually a pretty good idea because then it creates trade options between players which is the type of interactions that would be beneficial IMHO. Will you get enough money from the auction to pay your bills? Is it worth giving up the equipment when it may be just what your opponent needs to score big points? I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I don't like auction in the drafting game as it'll drag the game & feels weird for me, but simple trading like Catan would be awesome.

#3 is instant card? I'd like to have those. .

Personally a simple 5-6 players would be good and the add-ons is better to be kept optional so I can stay simple when playing with new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more idea since the Early Planning expansion didn't end up being this...

You have another "mini expansion" set of cards that are also handed out at the beginning of the round but each card is a specifically shaped grid that lays out what your plot of farmland is shaped like. If the player manages to build their farm within the confines of what the grid shape specifies (i.e. their card layout ends up staying within that defined shape) they get a certain number of bonus victory points. The players can opt not to follow the shape if it's just not working out and forfeit the points. Hope that made sense. Would have to be play-tested to see if it actually works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MrHeinzzzz Ketchup
msg tools
I also missed some player interaction after playing it for the first time and I was thinking about the following:

Each player gets a player board which looks like a field and has a starting position for your silo and watertower (or just printed on the board). The field has a grid to hold like (just a guess) 7x5 (lxb) cards. You can't build under or above the field but you can build next to your field. If you do this you place a card from one of the supply deck upside down onto your neighbors field. So you are taking up his land and he can't build there anymore. If you neighbor already build something there it's not possible to build next to your field on that spot.

I may do some test run next time to see how it works out. I think it could be working pretty nice and fits the theme pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.