Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I played 4 matches as Ignobles & Changerbots Vs. Astroknights & Star Roamers and I brutally lost without hope in all matches.

The expansion is new and maybe it's me, but I played at my best, so I ask feedback to those who played this specific matchup: someone has played this match seriously (I mean not a random, casual play with newbyes) and won using Ignobles & Changerbots? Please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's best to use all expansions as just that, expansions. each faction has specific strengths and weaknesses. The Changerbots have a lot of cards that will synergize with the Cyber Apes and the Ignobles should do well with a faction like the Kitty Cats. Trying to use two factions that don't mesh wel against two that have a lot of synergies is a good way to lose. Now with that said, this is a reason I like the 3 player game. If one combo is overpowered, then both opponents can focus on stopping that one player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know very well that drafting is the way to go in Smash Up!, but Cease and Desist is sold as a stand alone game with 6 possible matchups.
With this post I'd like to know if this match in particular has been playtested. Just to know if I have to learn how to better play the two factions or it is the faction-combo that doesn't work at all.
In the meanwhile I'll try it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tsang
msg tools
I played one match with the same setup.I totally got creamed just like you. Was wondering also if this set was balanced....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
United States
Los Angeles
flag msg tools
mb
No idea whether it's balanced. But for starters, try switching places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just won the matchup playing with Ignobles-Changerbots.

It was a narrow and well fought win.

I must admit: I have plenty of experience with the ignobles, as I am a play tester for smash up. I played against a good player, with plenty of experience in Smash Up and other strategic card games like MTG, but with no experience with this expansion, it's cards or it's bases.

I think the ignobles are the hardest faction in smash up so far to learn to play well. Ignobles are all about choosing your moments: when to donate minions, when to play a card, .. They become slightly easier to use in 1 vs 1, as you cannot make the wrong choice with betrothed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'd like to add: during play testing, I dreaded the ignobles in the beginning. They never allowed me to win. As play testing continued, I started to love them. And I got better at playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Cook
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Since you're a play tester, could you recommend factions from other expansions to pair with the new factions from Cease and Desist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
As more and more expansions release, it is inevitable that some combinations will prove better than others. Indeed finding the best combinations is part of the fun of the game, for sure. As noted, part of the charm for me is that combinations have different power levels with different numbers of players. For example Alien Ninja was an absolute killer for me when the original set came out in two-player, as it had answers for everything. It was way weaker in multiplayer.

The key to me is this though. Really the best way to play the game is, as the rules put it, Queensbury style. If you are not drafting, you are simply playing a game where, by intent, you are trying to escalate to the best combos, which, for sure, exist (and it can be fun to see if someone can find that killer mix). However, if you draft you are trying to make good combos from the limited choices, and the snake draft rules for Smash Up mean that someone can only get a particular combo if the other player or players deliberately conspire to allow them to do so.

So when I play I always play Queensbury. We randomly select two factions per player and then draft. Even in two-player, if there are only four choices, neither player can get the perfect combo, unless the other player lets them. So just take four random factions, and snake draft them as the rules suggest. It makes the game way more fun and challenging.

And even if you like to pick from the box, as long as you do it in draft order, you still cannot get the perfect combo you want if the other players are thinking about your choices. In fact that was part of the reason the rule on drafting was put in there, so I would go with that.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sairas86 wrote:
Since you're a play tester, could you recommend factions from other expansions to pair with the new factions from Cease and Desist?

Sorry, I seem to have missed this post.

Ignobles: Elves, Kitty Cats, Shapeshifters.
Changerbots: Cyber Apes, Mythic Greeks
Starroamers: Aliens, Tornadoes, Giant Ants
Astro Knights: Shapeshifters, Cyber Apes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Cook
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
quit and nuts wrote:
Sairas86 wrote:

Sorry, I seem to have missed this post.

Ignobles: Elves, Kitty Cats, Shapeshifters.
Changerbots: Cyber Apes, Mythic Greeks
Starroamers: Aliens, Tornadoes, Giant Ants
Astro Knights: Shapeshifters, Cyber Apes

Thank you so much! Definitely going to give those combos a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.