Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
He wanted to try two characters and chose the Soldier and the Trickster. Myth has a steep learning curve but he did OK, especially with the Soldier but he had issues with the Trickster. I've never played that one either and we sort of tried to figure him out together.

His starting gear only seemed to allow him to save 1 part (as Archers saved arrows) which was a problem because it was hard to gather what he needed to build things,. He built 3 things I think over 4 tiles and failed the build of one of them (which was kind of heartbreaking). I can see how it could be made to work, but all it took was a little bad luck to mess up whole turns of preparation (which happened to him). I also had some combos fail on both my Acolyte and my Brigand, but typically that was just a whole hero cycle messed up for me, not several. I don't know what to think about the trickster. Maybe better starting gear to hold more parts ready?

Have many of you played it and if so what are your thoughts?

Meanwhile he caught on to the soldier pretty fast (as you might expect) and my acolyte and brigand did OK as well. I used 4 free form adventure tiles with escalating threats to teach him a variety of different threat types including two traps, 1 quest, 1 lair, and a whole bunch of hunting parties. One of the traps we selected at random and it was Darkness falls. Tough trap which we were lucky enough to disarm before we took 3 damage but we still managed to spawn a captain from the lair before we killed it so we had some tussles with a Mucker. In fact that last tile had darkness falls, a lair, and in the end a Mucker along with a HUGE number of grubbers. Scary.

Overall, a lot of fun. I taught it more like a tactical board game rather than a lore based progression game. It's a complex game but it taught well in person I think. I kind of think this game HAS to be taught in person, at least with the current rulebook. If they wanted Myth to really succeed I think they would have to have organized plays for teaching/demoing in stores. Probably too late in the game's development cycle for that but I think it's a lot easier to quite in frustration trying to do it on your own than having someone teach it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been several discussions here talking about the extra heroes and some of the design ideas that go into them. I agree that the idea of needing several I gredient cards as well as the actual combo card means it can take a lot of setup to get something going. That combined with the fact that trickster specific gear is rare means it'll probably be awhile before the trickster becomes effectice. I definitely think heroes like the trickster and upcoming alchemist who has a similar function may need some player made changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Trickster is fantastic, but he really needs to find one of his green items. Then he's throwing stuff out all the time. Until then, you often have to rely on that one skill that lets you throw out a trap with no components.

The trap that attracts things is fantastic and the spring trap is one of my favorites, so many ways to use that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
The Trickster is fantastic, but he really needs to find one of his green items. Then he's throwing stuff out all the time. Until then, you often have to rely on that one skill that lets you throw out a trap with no components.

The trap that attracts things is fantastic and the spring trap is one of my favorites, so many ways to use that.

I'm juggling with the fact that there aren't many items for the fringe characters (incl the Trickster) and even with the community card pack, it's not easy to see how to work the treasure cards so they have a shot at getting what they want. I'm still soliciting ideas.

Today we were just doing a demo so I just kept pulling cards in blue and green until we got something that one of our characters wanted. There were only about 4 cards total in the 4 tiles. We didn't get much treasure at first and we got a lot of white cards. I think you're right, he needs a better equipment to pull his weight. My friend, learning the game, didn't do THAT badly but it was tough and a little heartbreaking to have his biggest build fail and lose all the cards.

When my Acolyte or Brigand blew a roll (and they did) they knew they could just come out swinging the next HC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.