Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Larson
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mb
I have created an HTML/Javascript page to replace the paper mission planning pad. I call it the Leaving Earth Mission Planner, or LEMP.

https://rawgit.com/malkav73/LEMP/master/LeavingEarthPlanner....
or
http://goo.gl/Qeh2F6

It's more functional than pretty, in fact it's rather "Web 1.0" in appearance. However, it should work on just about any device or browser and it supports Mercury & the Outer Planets as well as the base game.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might use the term 'Leaving Earth Missions' - LEM.

I quite like the idea of using the term 'LEM' in the game!

Good job with the planner by the way.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool webpage, thanks!
A 5 year veteran and onle one microbadge?!!
Please have a mircobadge on me as my thanks for the webpage.

a couple of questions about the page:
- how do I handle leaving something in orbit, so that I no longer carry the mass along? It seems to total all previous masses up.

- I have trouble getting it to update the thrust calculations as I change the number of boosters. The only way I seem to get it to do so is to change the booster, and then back again, at which time the numbers are re-crunched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Larson
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
I might use the term 'Leaving Earth Missions' - LEM.

I quite like the idea of using the term 'LEM' in the game!

Good job with the planner by the way.....

How come you couldn't use ESP to give me that idea before I posted it (also before you thought of it)?!?!

I love that idea, but it'd be a big hassle to change the github hosting, etc.

I'll have to think about how to change it without breaking any links, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Larson
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Cool webpage, thanks!
You're very welcome!

GerryRailBaron wrote:
A 5 year veteran and onle one microbadge?!!
Please have a mircobadge on me as my thanks for the webpage.
Thank you! I never got around to doing the microbadge 'thing' or even really figuring them out. I guess now I have a reason to.

GerryRailBaron wrote:
- how do I handle leaving something in orbit, so that I no longer carry the mass along? It seems to total all previous masses up.
Rendezvous is a bit difficult to deal with, even when doing it on paper.

My webpage works like the method explained in the rulebook starting on page 34. Plan missions in reverse. Payload objects should be added to the table on the line/maneuver where you want them to end up. Visualize the table like a rocket standing vertically. Going from the top down, each stage has to carry the mass of all the stages above it, so the page totals mass downward.

Let's use the example in the rulebook of a mission to put a probe on the Moon, but also leave a probe in Earth Orbit. A probe added on the first line will be carried for the whole mission, to the surface of the Moon. For the probe in Earth Orbit, we add a probe to that line of the mission.

What's actually harder to do is to pick something up along the way, or to rejoin something dropped off earlier. For that, I found what works is to first add the item(s) to the plan on the line where you're leaving them (like on Earth for a Lunar sample return). Then, add the item(s) to the line where they're 'picked up' as a NEGATIVE quantity, to counteract their mass which was not present for the earlier stages. (So for our Lunar sample return mission -1 Samples would be added to the 'Moon to Lunar Orbit' maneuver.

GerryRailBaron wrote:
- I have trouble getting it to update the thrust calculations as I change the number of boosters. The only way I seem to get it to do so is to change the booster, and then back again, at which time the numbers are re-crunched.
Fixed. Now, anytime calculations don't update just click anywhere on the page. (Most likely could only happen now if you fill in the whole table with keyboard input only.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.