$20.00
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only wonder why they picked this of all days. They had 365 days to pick from. even 9/12 would have made more sense.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/09/09/presi...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Alice: Bob, it's been six days without a baffling fuckup. After almost eight years, I'm running out of ideas.
Bob: Pretend to forget about 9/11 entirely.
Alice: That… that's genius! You, sir, are the fuckup whisperer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I can only wonder why they picked this of all days. They had 365 days to pick from. even 9/12 would have made more sense.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/09/09/presi...


Because it's always the Sunday in September on or between the 7th and the 13th. Since 1979. This year just happens to be the 11th. Not for the first time.

Oh, the outrage.
22 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
I can only wonder why they picked this of all days. They had 365 days to pick from. even 9/12 would have made more sense.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/09/09/presi...


Because it's always the Sunday in September on or between the 7th and the 13th. Since 1979. This year just happens to be the 11th. Not for the first time.

Oh, the outrage.


I'm more upset by the idolatry. "WE MUST PRESERVE THE HOLY DATE FOREVERMORE!"

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
I can only wonder why they picked this of all days. They had 365 days to pick from. even 9/12 would have made more sense.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/09/09/presi...


Because it's always the Sunday in September on or between the 7th and the 13th. Since 1979. This year just happens to be the 11th. Not for the first time.

Oh, the outrage.
I think they should have it every 11/9, so the old folks can enjoy a really nice rage Bonner.

"I didn't fight in two wars on terror so young whipper snappers like you could buy me a card, and what do you call this?"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also

What the fuck is grandparents day...I think I may have had a moan about these bloody made up festivals before.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Also

What the fuck is grandparents day...I think I may have had a moan about these bloody made up festivals before.
It was started by a letter to the President's mom. I'm not making this up! Someone wrote a letter to President Carter's mother and the first Sunday after Labor Day became "Grandparent's Day. And yes, this was in the late seventies (Carter Administration) so, OP, look elsewhere to vent your spleen.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Also

What the fuck is grandparents day...I think I may have had a moan about these bloody made up festivals before.
It was started by a letter to the President's mom. I'm not making this up! Someone wrote a letter to President Carter's mother and the first Sunday after Labor Day became "Grandparent's Day. And yes, this was in the late seventies (Carter Administration) so, OP, look elsewhere to vent your spleen.
And they say Obama was the worst president ever.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
I can only wonder why they picked this of all days. They had 365 days to pick from. even 9/12 would have made more sense.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/09/09/presi...


Because it's always the Sunday in September on or between the 7th and the 13th. Since 1979. This year just happens to be the 11th. Not for the first time.

Oh, the outrage.


Yeah, but you'd think they could have changed that. It's not like a solstice or something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
I can only wonder why they picked this of all days. They had 365 days to pick from. even 9/12 would have made more sense.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/09/09/presi...


Because it's always the Sunday in September on or between the 7th and the 13th. Since 1979. This year just happens to be the 11th. Not for the first time.

Oh, the outrage.


Yeah, but you'd think they could have changed that. It's not like a solstice or something.


Why though?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
windsagio wrote:
rinelk wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
I can only wonder why they picked this of all days. They had 365 days to pick from. even 9/12 would have made more sense.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/09/09/presi...


Because it's always the Sunday in September on or between the 7th and the 13th. Since 1979. This year just happens to be the 11th. Not for the first time.

Oh, the outrage.


Yeah, but you'd think they could have changed that. It's not like a solstice or something.


Why though?


Because there are people out there trying to explain to their kids that grandparents day falls on the day their grandparent and thousands of other people were murdered in the worst attack on the US since Pearl Harbor, which launched not one but two wars, one of which we're still fighting. So it's sort of a bittersweet day for their family. But it'd be nice for them to make a card for their surviving grandparents.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
windsagio wrote:
rinelk wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
I can only wonder why they picked this of all days. They had 365 days to pick from. even 9/12 would have made more sense.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/09/09/presi...


Because it's always the Sunday in September on or between the 7th and the 13th. Since 1979. This year just happens to be the 11th. Not for the first time.

Oh, the outrage.


Yeah, but you'd think they could have changed that. It's not like a solstice or something.


Why though?


Because there are people out there trying to explain to their kids that grandparents day falls on the day their grandparent and thousands of other people were murdered in the worst attack on the US since Pearl Harbor, which launched not one but two wars, one of which we're still fighting. So it's sort of a bittersweet day for their family. But it'd be nice for them to make a card for their surviving grandparents.


How about we quite enshrining violence, eh?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
wow ~"Remember 1st Responders too!" since Legislators/whomever 'neglect' THAT for them. "Mayor 9/11-Brownie, what you're doing heckuva about?"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
windsagio wrote:
rinelk wrote:
windsagio wrote:
rinelk wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
I can only wonder why they picked this of all days. They had 365 days to pick from. even 9/12 would have made more sense.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/09/09/presi...


Because it's always the Sunday in September on or between the 7th and the 13th. Since 1979. This year just happens to be the 11th. Not for the first time.

Oh, the outrage.


Yeah, but you'd think they could have changed that. It's not like a solstice or something.


Why though?


Because there are people out there trying to explain to their kids that grandparents day falls on the day their grandparent and thousands of other people were murdered in the worst attack on the US since Pearl Harbor, which launched not one but two wars, one of which we're still fighting. So it's sort of a bittersweet day for their family. But it'd be nice for them to make a card for their surviving grandparents.


How about we quite enshrining violence, eh?


I don't want to ascribe to you extreme views which you do not endorse, so could you go into more detail about what that means to you? The most superficial interpretation seems to me like it would involve not building memorials to those who died by violence nor acknowledging their sacrifice (thereby increasing our awareness of the cost of violence, and hopefully our opposition to it). But I suspect you have something more sensible in mind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Alice: Bob, it's been six days without a baffling fuckup. After almost eight years, I'm running out of ideas.
Bob: Pretend to forget about 9/11 entirely.
Alice: That… that's genius! You, sir, are the fuckup whisperer.

If this was a fuckupo, something I disagree with, then it was a fuckup of the 2005 admninistration when they decided that 4 years after the 9/11 attacks was enough to decide that not everything in the country has to change because of this attack.
I think it is not a fuckup of the current administration to continue this decision in 2016 (if they had wanted to change it they should have done that in 2011)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:

I don't want to ascribe to you extreme views which you do not endorse, so could you go into more detail about what that means to you? The most superficial interpretation seems to me like it would involve not building memorials to those who died by violence nor acknowledging their sacrifice (thereby increasing our awareness of the cost of violence, and hopefully our opposition to it). But I suspect you have something more sensible in mind.


A memorial is fine, but giving something so much significance that nothing else can ever be allowed to intrude upon it is giving that thing utter control over you. I'm not using religious language in this discussion just for giggles, there's a tendency to treat this as if it is 'holy', and that's offensive to me both philosophically and religiously.

Maybe more importantly, I think it's wildly offbase for you to think that this in some way 'increases awareness of the cost of violence', making 9/11 holy just reinforces the violence and the hate behind it - "Hey remember the terrible thing these people did to us?"

By all means we can remember the attacks, and memorialize the people that died- Making it sacrosanct is terrible, however.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
windsagio wrote:
rinelk wrote:

I don't want to ascribe to you extreme views which you do not endorse, so could you go into more detail about what that means to you? The most superficial interpretation seems to me like it would involve not building memorials to those who died by violence nor acknowledging their sacrifice (thereby increasing our awareness of the cost of violence, and hopefully our opposition to it). But I suspect you have something more sensible in mind.


A memorial is fine, but giving something so much significance that nothing else can ever be allowed to intrude upon it is giving that thing utter control over you. I'm not using religious language in this discussion just for giggles, there's a tendency to treat this as if it is 'holy', and that's offensive to me both philosophically and religiously.

Maybe more importantly, I think it's wildly offbase for you to think that this in some way 'increases awareness of the cost of violence', making 9/11 holy just reinforces the violence and the hate behind it - "Hey remember the terrible thing these people did to us?"

By all means we can remember the attacks, and memorialize the people that died- Making it sacrosanct is terrible, however.


Fair enough. I think if we'd done a better job of allowing people to talk about how our policies contributed to the ability of the perpetrators to organize and raise funds, it might have had the effect I had in mind. Certainly I think that Veteran's Day and Memorial Day both have that effect to at least some extent, and they also seem like cases of enshrining violence. So I don't know that I'd agree that it's reasonable in principle to oppose such memorializing, but on reflection, you're absolutely right that 9/11 has turned into a terrible vehicle for it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Good point about veterans day & memorial day.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.