Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got 7 Wonder duel and played my first game tonight. Does anyone else find the cards really fiddly? Their size makes them very easy to shift when removing a card from the spread. I'm constantly re-straightenin the cards when one is picked up. I would pay double for this game just to have regular sized cards. Maybe an expansion in the future would help. Maybe I can make these less slick so that stay put......or I might just not actually have them touch each other whenever I set them up if it isn't too confusing figuring which cards are available and what should be flipped.

Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The size of the cards doesn't bother me all that much. If they were standard size, they would take up too much space on the table. And since the cards aren't really meant to be held in your hand during play, the size is no big deal for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wouldn't have an issue with how much space the cards take up on the table I play on. We play Dominion on it and have cards all over the place with no problems. For me it isn't a plus for the cards to be small, but that's just my opinion.

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your problem with these cards being a tad fiddly and I too would prefer them to be normal sized not just for handling but to appreciate their nice graphics designs. That being said, this is a superlative game and the card size is but a wee speck of a detractor against a brilliant game over all. There are many a graphicly grandiose yet silly sad games out there and I'd rather be a connoisseur of the substance over a being a bit nit picky regarding form as it were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that they are small, and that the box is correspondingly small.

(FWIW Lately I'm playing lots of Tides of Time which has the opposite problem: the cards are unusually excessively large, which makes them a pain to shuffle, and your tableau takes up too much space on the table, and it comes in a larger box than a "tiny" 18-card game needs.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the card size is fine.

Maybe sleeves would help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, 7wonders plays up to 7 players with big cards. Duel is a 2 player variant with small cards. Maybe some day we will have a 4 player variant just to have regular card size whistle

To be more serious I'm glad that duel has a smaller footprint on the table / in my backpack. I use sleeves but I don't know whether it matters or not.

Since the players are allowed to pick up the top cards only I don't see how the others could get to be misaligned.

Maybe you should try to organize the layout in a way that the overlap size is very small.
Or just pull down the selected card before you actually pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a magician, and I use a "close up" pad to display cards when I need a layout on the table. A towel folded in half is a good alternative. Cards will stay put and are much easier to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the card size. Many more cards in display than any Dominion layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ydnad wrote:
Well, 7wonders plays up to 7 players with big cards. Duel is a 2 player variant with small cards. Maybe some day we will have a 4 player variant just to have regular card size :D :whistle:

To be more serious I'm glad that duel has a smaller footprint on the table / in my backpack. I use sleeves but I don't know whether it matters or not.

Since the players are allowed to pick up the top cards only I don't see how the others could get to be misaligned.

Maybe you should try to organize the layout in a way that the overlap size is very small.
Or just pull down the selected card before you actually pick it up.

I might give the towel a try. Right now the overlapping small cards and my monstrously big hands equates to the cards underneath the card I'm pulling sometimes moving and twisting about......which interacts with additional cards next to them.....it's no foul to the game.....just harder for me to interact with it. I see the reason to keep it compact, just wondered if anyone might have a solution to my specific problem (big hands).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I struggled a bit with picking the cards up without damaging the corners. Some light sleeves took care of that, plus a tap on them makes them stick to your finger a bit and you have them off the table without moving others.

Higher grade sleeves were too stiff to get back into the insert but I did use them on the Guilds, to make it easier to spot them, and I just tuck those into the big insert space underneath stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sleeves + playmat worked wonder for me. It's a small investment in itself but I feel much more comfortable playing this game with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Fast
Sweden
Mönsterås
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I noticed this as well after our first play-through the other day. In the future, we will probably play the game on a table-cloth. I do think it is an acceptable trade-off for having a small box, though

Off-topic: Having now tested a game with mini-Euro size cards, and seeing as there are only about 60 of them in play, I am now suddenly alot less keen on buying Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game. It contains, IIRC, 240 of these slippery small fellows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the small cards are annoying. I would gladly pay more for full sized cards. The space requirement wouldn't be all bad and you would finally be able to appreciate the card art. As it stands the art could be left out of the game entirely since the size essentially turns each card into just a bunch of symbols. Also it would be nice to easily see what your opponent has from across the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.