Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I admit it - I'm a naval nerd! I may have served in the Army, but I love warships! The embodiment of power and majesty on the high seas, I've always been interested in warships, from the Viking Longships to today's Zumwalt class destroyers. I also love naval wargames, from Victory in the Pacific to Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea So, with all of this in mind, I'm starting this thread to celebrate warships. I'm going to post the first photo in the thread, and I encourage others to comment on the photo and post their own!

Naval photo #1 - Essex class carriers in mothballs...

I was always a fan of the Essex class, and I have a soft spot for mothball fleets, so this photo is awesome in my book...

Bonus points to anyone who can identify the ships in the picture, and where the ships are moored...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Is it the flat-tops at Newport, RI?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
PELOTON
badge
Thrill of the Race
mbmbmbmbmb

USS Wyoming

This was my grandfather's WWI ship. I have a copy of his USMC war journal. It was on this ship he wrote his entries. This is an original photo in its original frame from over 100 years ago. If anybody can identify the port city in the background, it would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bennington, Oriskany, and the Hornet. But I cheated with Google.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While you guys noodle on that carrier pic, here is a neat photo of two older battlewagons of the US Navy immediately after WW2. No quiz this time, but I'll note that I've always had a special place for the Maryland in my heart, as my uncle Clyde served on her before WW2 (he served on anti-sub patrol planes during the war).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
3 of the 6 shown:
CV-12/Hornet II, CV-34/Oriskany, CV-20/Bennington.
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
smic wrote:

USS Wyoming

This was my grandfather's WWI ship. I have a copy of his USMC war journal. It was on this ship he wrote his entries. This is an original photo in its original frame from over 100 years ago. If anybody can identify the port city in the background, it would be appreciated.

My great-great-uncle Hensel served on Wyoming twice during the war. For a grand total of about five days (12-16 May 1917, and 29-30 Jun 1917). He spent most of the war on the transport President Grant.

Regarding the location, if you know when it was taken, you might be able to figure out where it was from the ship's history in DANFS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This is the only look at me you will get. The first hint the bad guy gets that I am nearby will be the sound of the torpedo coming out of his baffles with high up-doppler.
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
While you guys noodle on that carrier pic, here is a neat photo of two older battlewagons of the US Navy immediately after WW2. No quiz this time, but I'll note that I've always had a special place for the Maryland in my heart, as my uncle Clyde served on her before WW2 (he served on anti-sub patrol planes during the war).

Nice pic. Maryland was only slightly damaged at Pearl Harbor, and Colorado wasn't there. So they both were less extensively modernized than sister West Virginia, which was sunk at Pearl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
tms2 wrote:
[q="smic"]

USS Wyoming

Regarding the location, if you know when it was taken, you might be able to figure out where it was from the ship's history in DANFS.

A little Googling, it would have to be before her 1925 to 1927 refit, when she apparently lost the rear mast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Nice pic. Maryland was only slightly damaged at Pearl Harbor, and Colorado wasn't there. So they both were less extensively modernized than sister West Virginia, which was sunk at Pearl.

Very nice! Also, let's not forget the fourth sister...Washington, never completed, due to the signing of the Washington Naval Treaty, and sunk as a target in the early 1920's...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This is the only look at me you will get. The first hint the bad guy gets that I am nearby will be the sound of the torpedo coming out of his baffles with high up-doppler.
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of Naval Nerdiness...

Been collecting and displaying 1:1250 model ships since I was a kid. Bigtime Naval Nerd here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

I was always a fan of the Essex class, and I have a soft spot for mothball fleets, so this photo is awesome in my book...

Bonus points to anyone who can identify the ships in the picture, and where the ships are moored...

They are, in visible order, the Hornet (II), the Oriskany, the Bennington, and (best guess) the Lake Champlain. I suspect where they are moored is at Newport News.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plloyd1010 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

They are, in visible order, the Hornet (II), the Oriskany, the Bennington, and (best guess) the Lake Champlain. I suspect where they are moored is at Newport News.

OK - to all who guessed, the correct answers to the Essex-class carriers picture are:

1. Ships, from front to back:
CVS-12 Hornet (II)
CVA-34 Oriskany
CVS-20 Bennington
CVA-31 Bon Homme Richard
2. Location
Puget Sound, Bremerton, WA, circa 1990.

Good job to all of those who guessed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cool Oh man! I was THERE in 1989 with my Father and eldest Nephew as we toured aboard the "Missouri" then. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've been on the Hornet (CV-12) in Alameda. Must have been the late 90s or early 00s.

Pretty neat experience. She is the only carrier I have had the pleasure to set foot upon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here is another one for all of you naval nerds to chew on. See if anyone here can name the two capital ships in the picture, and identify the location and year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montevideo harbour?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of my 1989 pilgrimage included standing on the deck of the Авро́ра (Aurora). This was the ship whose (blank) cannon shot signalled the assault on the Winter Palace, generally acknowledged to be the start of the Russian Revolution. My hair stood on end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan pancaldi
Canada
Les Coteaux, Que.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:
Speaking of Naval Nerdiness...

Been collecting and displaying 1:1250 model ships since I was a kid. Bigtime Naval Nerd here!

Whoa, bath time must be fun!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
desertfox2004 wrote:
OK, here is another one for all of you naval nerds to chew on. See if anyone here can name the two capital ships in the picture, and identify the location and year!

San Francisco Bay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

I cheated and used Google. I would have never guessed the place, but the largest ship was familiar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iowa class battleship -- can't tell if it's Iowa, New Jersey, Missouri, or Wisconsin. The other is ex-SMS Goeben, which at the time the pic was taken was the Turkish ship Yavuz. So I guess we are talking Istanbul. cool

Edit: Forgot to guess the year. Yavuz was't decommissioned until the 1970s, so I'm going to say the picture was taken in the 1950s before the BBs were mothballed for the first time. Alternatively, it could be during NJ's Vietnam recommissioning (1968-69 for Vietnam).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Name the boat and what happened to her. Bonus points if you can name the boat's nickname now, and why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
arrrh WERE you too 'discern' some "Catapult Launch"-aft, then it isn't at least 2 since one or more had 'helicopters' with aft-pad in LIEU for such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
robot Previous 'comment' upon the "Battleship" whilst the SUB was involved in the "Murmansk Incident" resulting in someone appearing afterward with THEIR:
"Mast Tattoo`d too!"~arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.