Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just me but I really don't care for the new artwork on the Iello version, I find it rather garish. Somehow it doesn't fit, it's not quite cartoony enough; there is a modern slant to it I don't care for.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself well, but I much prefer the ancient warfare theme. The artwork isn't stellar by any means but somehow the theme just manages to creep through a bit with the GMT version versus this version. It's even more pronounced in the tactics cards, which aside from not being user friendly in the new version since they nixed the text, has some of the worst art. The joker is too similar to the Batman villain of the same name.

Anyway, just curious if I'm on an island on this one. I was excited for the new version mostly because the GMT cards are so hard to shuffle, but the art/theme change does nothing for me not to mention nixing the 10 from the deck make this version a pass for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the quality of the art. I can maybe see what you mean by theme but I certainly don't like GMT's art better. Their art feels ugly and lazy. There are some awesome re-themes. Have you seen the medieval one someone did?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not particularly into the new edition's art. I've never seen the GMT Battle Line art, however; we play with the very silly cartoony art of the original Schotten Totten versions:

It's not my style either, but over the years I've grown used to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
I really like the quality of the art. I can maybe see what you mean by theme but I certainly don't like GMT's art better. Their art feels ugly and lazy. There are some awesome re-themes. Have you seen the medieval one someone did?

I'd go with it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the theme and art in both the original and in the Iello version. Those are probably two of the main reasons why I even own the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Pettit
United States
Gardner
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an artscow deck with the cartoon art from kilgore. It works really well for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I'm not particularly into the new edition's art. I've never seen the GMT Battle Line art, however; we play with the very silly cartoony art of the original Schotten Totten versions:

It's not my style either, but over the years I've grown used to it.

I actually like the older Schotten Totten art, the new art just feels to slick. Totally a personal preference.

I don't particularly like the Battle Line art, it's generic and amateurish, I just like that theme better. I wish the new version had that theme with better art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly the Battle Line art is quite ugly, but the colors are much easier to distinguish. The new edition only distinguishes color on the numeral in the corner. Therefore it is much more difficult to scan the table and count how many of a color have been played. So while the Iello art may be better, it is nowhere near as functional. The art has to be really bad for me not to prefer functional and Battle Line's art is not THAT bad. So I would rather play with the Battle Line version.

I have the same issue with the tiles in the new edition of Ra. The new art looks really good, but many of the tiles are hard to distinguish. This, to me, negatively impacts the gameplay. So I much prefer the older edition.

I hope publishers are not getting the impression that gamers prefer pretty over functional because this issue is more common than it should be. It shouldn't be that difficult to combine these two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Papa Ninja wrote:
Anyway, just curious if I'm on an island on this one.

GMT has a different audience. I don't think I'm the only wargamer who likes the Battle Line art/theme for this splendid little card game. This art style is often used on counters and looks a little sparse when blown up to card format but it has a pleasing 'golden age' look.

The original Schotten Totten art looks like an Asterix knock off, not great but okay. The new art looks too busy and juvenile for my taste.

As for the '10's, Battle Line had to include them because of the effects of some of the tactics cards. I believe the new Schotten Totten has differences in the tactics cards so I guess the smaller deck is sufficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
urbanus wrote:
Papa Ninja wrote:
Anyway, just curious if I'm on an island on this one.

GMT has a different audience. I don't think I'm the only wargamer who likes the Battle Line art/theme for this splendid little card game. This art style is often used on counters and looks a little sparse when blown up to card format but it has a pleasing 'golden age' look.

The original Schotten Totten art looks like an Asterix knock off, not great but okay. The new art looks too busy and juvenile for my taste.

As for the '10's, Battle Line had to include them because of the effects of some of the tactics cards. I believe the new Schotten Totten has differences in the tactics cards so I guess the smaller deck is sufficient.

If you read the rules the new tactics cards are the same. There is a card that lets you discard a played opponents card and there is a card that requires 4 cards per side to claim a stone. So yeah, it will be possible for the regular deck to run out before the game is over. The only way to finish every stone in that case will be continue playing tactics cards. That doesn't sit well with me. I like the tactics cards, I just don't want to be forced to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a slight change in one of the tactics cards (Recruiter vs Scout) but that doesn't have anything to do with the size of the deck. 10 cards per colour should be better (when playing with tactics cards), maybe they can't do this for Schotten Totten because of GMT's rights on Battle Line?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Battle Line's artwork more than this new version. Now, I only just recently picked up Battle Line after hearing about it for so long, so when I heard about this new version, I was a little let down. However, the art of the new version is really not to my liking. It feels cartoony, but not enough that I find it endearing. I actually don't have a problem with Battle Line's artwork at all. It gives me a sense of history for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
I own both the original Schotten Totten and Battle Line (it's a great game, after all). Battle Line added the Tactics cards, so I happily bought it. I also liked the 3-dimensional nature the pawns added for the "stones/flags" to be claimed. Sadly, they're not all quite identical in size (setting off my OCD), but they do save a little table space being smaller than the stone cards from the original game.

I will say that sometimes I play with the Tactics cards - other times I don't.

I don't like how Battle Line didn't come with any formation reference cards, especially given that their formation names are....well, confusing and useless.

So I saw Schotten Totten had been re-released and the artwork looks nice. It looks like maybe they have smaller cards for stones (also helping save space), but the Tactics cards don't have any text on them - good for translating into different languages, but bad for learning the game.

At least they added nice reference cards.

Due to no text on the Tactics cards, I'm holding off buying this version. Which is too bad, because it looks like a nice quality version of the game. The 1-9 instead of 1-10 Troops cards is also less than ideal, due to the Tactics cards.

Ah well - maybe the next version will have text on the Tactics cards and 1-10 Troops cards as well as reference cards. Too much to hope for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.