Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Aho
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
I'm curious how everyone out there plays Descent. Let's take a look!
How do you play Descent?
Road to Legends App almost exclusively
Classic Descent (With an Overlord Player)
Both but more on the app
Both but more classic
      163 answers
Poll created by minershiner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One can also play Solo Co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyriphiry wrote:
One can also play Solo Co-op.

I'd say that still counts as the app, since it's still co-op with no OL. I think the OP was trying to gauge the number of players invested in Descent Co-op versus classic Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Classic Descent solo with Redjak's Automated Variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used the app for a while but am going for Rejak's overlord to open up more campaigns. It's a little surprising how litter Fantasy Flight has put in the app given its popularity among players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Houtz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I also use Redjack's RAOV for more solo Campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More classic here but not by a large margin since it's not as easy to get our whole group of 5 people together.

I'm actually surprised that the results of the poll are so much in favor of playing with the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zakoholic wrote:
More classic here but not by a large margin since it's not as easy to get our whole group of 5 people together.

I'm actually surprised that the results of the poll are so much in favor of playing with the app.
I'm not. Seems more gamers today would much rather play a game where everybody is working together than against the one guy. Look at the popularity of games like Pandemic.

I know in my group the OL player was hated simply for playing the right way, since him winning meant everyone else is losing. Like when one player in Monopoly or Risk has run away with an early lead. Everyone usually wants to just call it and quit, but it's not very satisfying for the one that "won".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Aho
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with you, Proto. I bought Descent right when the 2nd Edition came out and loved the game. Unfortunately I had a very confrontational player in my group and when I won as the OL he made me feel really bad for winning and that he couldn't have any fun because of me. On the reverse side when I lost he made me feel bad as well because he rubbed the victory in my face.

Long story short I sold Descent and forgot about it for years until a good friend of mine convinced me to try it with him using the app. I promptly purchased everything available for the game and it is one of my favorites!

The 1 vs. all mechanic is what prevented me from backing the Others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I never thought about how it can be confrontational with the overlord. That never came up in the games I've played.

I wonder of all the tabletop RPG's I've played inoculated me against that. I'm already used to this sort of 1 vs many gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBeighel wrote:
I never thought about how it can be confrontational with the overlord. That never came up in the games I've played.

I wonder of all the tabletop RPG's I've played inoculated me against that. I'm already used to this sort of 1 vs many gameplay.

I've known confrontational players, but the hero/OL dynamic remains one of my favorite parts about Descent. If I want to play a cooperative game, there are better choices- like Pandemic or Robinson Crusoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulises Vela
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted that I play "Both but more on the app" because it is hard for my friends and I to get together to play and not because I love more the app over the traditional gameplay.

It's just that we play the traditional version...every week or two, while I play alone with the app 2 hours dialy; so the difference on time playing the different gameplays is huge.

I mean, I love the competitive play, I love being the Overlord (or compete with one), but it is hard to play it often...at least for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.