Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Hathaway
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Check out the final rulebook provided by Isaac here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ppELln5Z0reC10RFFmbHBQTGc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh cool, I came to link this here...

I`m up to page 10 and so far... so so well done
cant wait to get this game.. December cant get here fast enough!!

EDIT: figured I ask this here as well (Isaac or anyone else that might know )
"@Isaac could you remind me something... attack modifier, how many null cards are they in the personal deck? I remember reading that it was just one, but can recall where..

And I understand this right, if I get lucky and the null do not appear until the end of the deck then that means I can go a whole deck without missing... evil tempting thoughts devil

thanks...
I`m loving the rulebook so far, very well done"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
oh cool, I came to link this here...

I`m up to page 10 and so far... so so well done
cant wait to get this game.. December cant get here fast enough!!

EDIT: figured I ask this here as well (Isaac or anyone else that might know )
"@Isaac could you remind me something... attack modifier, how many null cards are they in the personal deck? I remember reading that it was just one, but can recall where..

And I understand this right, if I get lucky and the null do not appear until the end of the deck then that means I can go a whole deck without missing... evil tempting thoughts devil

thanks...
I`m loving the rulebook so far, very well done"

Hi.
From the rulebook, page 11:
" At the end of the round in which a “Null” or “2x” card is drawn from a deck, players will shuffle all the played modifier cards back into that particular draw deck. "

So the 2 multiplier also shuffles back the deck.

And if you have a card with the shuffle icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a slight error at the middle of Page 21 (at 'b'). There's white text in the background there (and at the 'a' symbol on the right).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
rashktah wrote:
There's a slight error at the middle of Page 21 (at 'b'). There's white text in the background there (and at the 'a' symbol on the right).

I do not see it. Reading the PDF from my browser I noticed an artefact in the text at pg 18, but then after downloading and opening with acrobat reader the artefact disappeared ... do not know why

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antonio8080 wrote:
rashktah wrote:

I do not see it. Reading the PDF from my browser I noticed an artefact in the text at pg 18, but then after downloading and opening with acrobat reader the artefact disappeared ... do not know why
Right! The error shows on my mobile device, but not on the computer screen. All is well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You will only ever have two shuffle cards in your deck: one "2x damage" card, and one "no damage" card. You can get more 2x and null cards into your deck by getting blessed or cursed, respectively, but those cards don't have a shuffle symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not reading the rulebook because I don't want to anticipate this game anymore than I already am!

gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antonio8080 wrote:
rashktah wrote:

I have noticed similar errors with other pdfs as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question after reading the rulebook. Putting the question in a spoiler as at least one person has said they aren't reading the rulebook until the game arrives.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Does the effect from the road event effect the entire party? i.e. for the card shown in the rulebook the effects are poison or 3 damage. Does this mean, for example, that each member of the party suffers 3 damage or as a whole the party has to take 3 damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
Wray wrote:
Quick question after reading the rulebook.

Hmm, I believe the answer to be...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Events effect the entire party. So, in the example given, every character in the party would either become poisoned or suffer 3 damage. It may not be stated as such outright in the rulebook or on the cards themselves, and perhaps I am mistaken, but I've always been under this impression for some reason -- In fact, I've never thought otherwise. The best explanation I can give would be for us to consider the implications of the party dividing the results: Not only would this take a bit of weight out of the decision making, since the effects would be rather minor, but it would also create a balancing issue, right? I mean, a two character party would be at a clear disadvantage over a four character party when determining who to poison or how best to divvy up the 3 damage because there's nothing there that scales to the number of characters present, whereas, by having each member of the party suffer the result individually, all equally, balance is inherently maintained. And that's my two cents, my friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
in the rules it has been stated: Players cannot trade money or items

this means that a PC cannot give a item or money to another one?
in case he can, could he do the exchange both in dungeon and during travels or in Gloomhaven or not?

after one dungeon do the players remove any wounds or conditions or only if they go to the city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player would suffer 3 damage. Some results do cause the part to collectively share some effect, but it is written as such. For example, "the party loses 10 collective gold," means that 10 gold is lost between all the characters combined and the players must choose how it is lost.

Giving items and money is also not allowed, if you really want to classify that as something different from trading.

Players remove all wounds and conditions at the end of each scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
Cephalofair wrote:
if you really want to classify that as something different from trading.

no, sometime I just need and explanation due to my poor understanding of english :-)

then I was surprise of that rules.... I image a lot of complains when a player decide to loot instead killing an enemy to make more money/treasure than the others :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's the point -- you always have to balance your personal goals against the party goals. Frequently they'll be in general alignment, but not always, and you don't know what your teammates will be planning in advance of them doing it. It's meant to cut down on the quarterbacking phenomena with coöp games where one experienced (or conceited) player just tells everybody else what to do, so he has fun playing what is really a solo game while the others just follow his orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cliffy73 wrote:
Yes, that's the point -- you always have to balance your personal goals against the party goals. Frequently they'll be in general alignment, but not always, and you don't know what your teammates will be planning in advance of them doing it.

I respect that mechanic and the end goal.

Regardless, for my play group I'm modding out anything that creates inter-party drama. Resultantly, we'll likely end up playing with the increased difficulty rules for Solo.

Cliffy73 wrote:

It's meant to cut down on the quarterbacking phenomena with coöp games where one experienced (or conceited) player just tells everybody else what to do, so he has fun playing what is really a solo game while the others just follow his orders.

Hopefully it has that effect. However, the only actual solution to a quarterbacking player is, "Hey. Stop that."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Regardless, for my play group I'm modding out anything that creates inter-party drama. Resultantly, we'll likely end up playing with the increased difficulty rules for Solo.

I'll be mostly solo, so I'm looking forward to encouraging drama between my left and right sides. Arguments will be resolved by thumb war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Berget
United States
Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
Game Night Host
badge
Game Night Host
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Isaac,

What's the reasoning behind not making the game a full co-op? I haven't read the whole manual yet (just up to page 18 or so) but it says it's highly not recommended that we share what cards we have in our hands. Why is this? Is it thematic?
My friends are more open to a full co-op and working together through these scenarios. We'll play it and love it the way it's designed, of course, but I was wondering if there was a spoiler-free reason for it.
And also, does the person looking at the scenario book and setting up each tile have an advantage seeing the whole map ahead of time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
solidd wrote:
Hey Isaac,

What's the reasoning behind not making the game a full co-op? I haven't read the whole manual yet (just up to page 18 or so) but it says it's highly not recommended that we share what cards we have in our hands. Why is this? Is it thematic?
My friends are more open to a full co-op and working together through these scenarios. We'll play it and love it the way it's designed, of course, but I was wondering if there was a spoiler-free reason for it.
And also, does the person looking at the scenario book and setting up each tile have an advantage seeing the whole map ahead of time?

I don't know that I'd say this isn't a full co-op game. Just because you can't share every bit of information, that doesn't mean it's not a fully cooperative game.

I believe the reasons for not revealing your cards are two fold. First, it's more thematic, because in the heat of battle, you don't sit and plan out each move. Secondly, it adds an element of uncertainty and randomness, because if you knew exactly what everyone's cards said, you could plan out exactly what each of you were going to do. At that point it's more of a puzzle than a battle. The way it's designed, each person knows what the other people are planning, but not the specifics, so everyone gets to make their own decisions without a group discussion about what is the best thing to do.

I greatly prefer this method than having fully open information for everyone. This is going to give the game a much more exciting feel, since no one is going to be trying to math out the best possible option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
solidd wrote:
Hey Isaac,

as already said by Mark, I think it is to reproduce the feelings of vintage RPG style where you should not discuss the strategy in order to keep the "real time" feeling of action during fights.

I think it is awesome. It opens to terrific twist when you are expecting the thief like PC to finish an enemy but instead he is going to loot the treasure for first and also reproduce the feelings of a party that grown in strategy fighting together. After some scenario you know the others skills and you can start calling some combos with simple words.

In addition it reduces the possibility to have a player that decide everything ...

we should take into account that the strategy must change also due to the enemy action cards that are taken after the player action selections

on the huge amount of cards and stuff: most of them are for road and city events. If you prepare properly the box you basically should not take care so much of them in a evening game. A lot of cards are for actions, but you pick them only when you level up or when you select a new character.

reading the manual I think that the scenario preparation is quite fast and easy (also the market will grow slowly) with respect a descent first edition. Nevertheless, the huge amount of cards and other stuff make the game long-running and always different

yes I am totally biased by my love for this games (and I haven't played it yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Berget
United States
Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
Game Night Host
badge
Game Night Host
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:

I believe the reasons for not revealing your cards are two fold. First, it's more thematic, because in the heat of battle, you don't sit and plan out each move. Secondly, it adds an element of uncertainty and randomness, because if you knew exactly what everyone's cards said, you could plan out exactly what each of you were going to do. At that point it's more of a puzzle than a battle. This is going to give the game a much more exciting feel, since no one is going to be trying to math out the best possible option.

Antonio8080 wrote:

as already said by Mark, I think it is to reproduce the feelings of vintage RPG style where you should not discuss the strategy in order to keep the "real time" feeling of action during fights.

I think it is awesome. It opens to terrific twist when you are expecting the thief like PC to finish an enemy but instead he is going to loot the treasure for first and also reproduce the feelings of a party that grown in strategy fighting together. After some scenario you know the others skills and you can start calling some combos with simple words.

This actually sounds really awesome. Now I'm excited.We finished a Descent campaign a few weeks back and it definitely felt like the heroes would constantly plan out everything in advance.

I still would like an answer as to the player with the scenario book. Does seeing the whole map give them an advantage? Knowing where a treasure will spawn three rooms in... Or does it not really matter because it's still more of a puzzle than a battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During set-up, the scenario book tells you where to place treasure icons, but it doesn't tell you what the treasure is -- you have to look it up after a character collects it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Berget
United States
Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
Game Night Host
badge
Game Night Host
mbmbmbmbmb
Cliffy73 wrote:
During set-up, the scenario book tells you where to place treasure icons, but it doesn't tell you what the treasure is -- you have to look it up after a character collects it.

Right, I get that. But doesn't knowing the map ahead of time give an advantage to that person because they could then use one-use items at certain times or try to move their character in a direction so that they could get to that treasure first?

I'm guessing there's just no way to make a game that was completely fair unless you had each map tile on a separate page and no one knew what was coming up next.
I'm hoping once I get the game that this point doesn't even matter. I'm looking to be drawn into the story and having fun with friends rather than min-maxing a character. And from what I've seen Isaac has more than succeeded there.
I'm just curious, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solidd wrote:
Cliffy73 wrote:

Right, I get that. But doesn't knowing the map ahead of time give an advantage to that person because they could then use one-use items at certain times or try to move their character in a direction so that they could get to that treasure first?

I'm guessing there's just no way to make a game that was completely fair unless you had each map tile on a separate page and no one knew what was coming up next.
I'm hoping once I get the game that this point doesn't even matter. I'm looking to be drawn into the story and having fun with friends rather than min-maxing a character. And from what I've seen Isaac has more than succeeded there.
I'm just curious, really.

Ah! I thought when you enter the dungeon the whole thing gets built; so no real exploration here. But my memories of course could be wrong. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.