$20.00
Dean Rekich
United States
Lyndora
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that when you get a wall tile that you are to leave it face *up* in front of you. However, it seems to me that keeping the wall tile face *down* when you get one would be more fun and interesting? Any thoughts of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DeanMary wrote:
The rules say that when you get a wall tile that you are to leave it face *up* in front of you. However, it seems to me that keeping the wall tile face *down* when you get one would be more fun and interesting? Any thoughts of this?

Seems worth trying if you like, to add more uncertainty, although I like the game as is.

My only other thought is that this thread should be moved to the Variants forum.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/6434/carcassonne-castle/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play them face up (as per the rules) and also that your opponent gets to see the tile you've drawn and can offer suggestions (also as per the rules). The offering "helpful" advice on how your opponent might use their resources adds a lot of fun interactions to the game (at least for us).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with the tiles face down the first 15 times we played, as I just got this rule wrong. I loved the game. I have since learned they should be kept face up and I agree it adds a little bit more strategy to it, even though I like it both way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
You really must play the wall tiles face up. This way your opponent knows what you have and can attempt to mitigate.

Last night I had the +4 wall tile on markets in a court. I had 4 markets in a court. But she figured a way to strategically place two tiles, the final with a blocking path, that (a) gave her a 2-1 merchant control and (b) prevented me from adding another merchant. She not only denied me 28 VPs(!) but took 12 VPs for herself. She knew she had to do it and we both were competing to do the same thing to control this one huge.

Allowing for opponent mitigation is the only way to ensure one player doesn't get a truly unfair advantage from some very powerful wall tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.