Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please this question is not intended for hating or bragging. I'm thinking about weather, size of cities, geography, culture...

How is gaming in a very cold country? People leave their houses to go to gaming places? And what about very warm countries? Don't people prefer the beach or a swimming pool rather than playing inside the house?

What about cities? In very small cities, there are enough people to find those who like to play? In very large cities, what if people you may be acquainted in fact live very far away from your house?

Do you think you live in a good city/country for gaming?

If you could move to any other city or country in the world, where do you think you would find the better gaming community?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'm reminded of a 'comic' depicting several Astronauts upon the MOON as they gaze upon an 'exploding' Earth, as one remarks to the other:
"And you said we wouldn't have TIME to play any GAMES!" robot

Barring the MOON, then my alternate choice upon EARTH is 'Maastricht' for its central locale of Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the availability and the cost of games is a factor for you: definitely Germany. Games are just so cheap over here compared to other places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
In very small cities, there are enough people to find those who like to play?

It would need to be very very small to know the hobbies of everyone ... So more likely a street than a city.

I don't think there is a global answer it depends on people and situations.
For example I have spent years very near from a beach and I have spent numerous afternoon going to a friend's home, nearest from the beach than mine to play boardgames because I was more interested in boardgames than in doing whatever on the beach.

You can be on a city with a lot of gamers ... and know none of them.
You can have one of the best FLGS ... and lack money.
You can find gaming groups with very frequent meet-ups ... but no desire to play the games you like ...

In the other hand, you can live in a city with a very small "community", a bad gaming store ... but know the other gamers, build a strong community, organize frequent meet-ups, organize collective purchases ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
I'm reminded of a 'comic' depicting several Astronauts upon the MOON as they gaze upon an 'exploding' Earth, as one remarks to the other:
"And you said we wouldn't have TIME to play any GAMES!" robot

Barring the MOON, then my alternate choice upon EARTH is 'Maastricht' for its central locale of Europe.

That's 20km from where I live. I never really saw it as a great place for gaming, though. There's one FLGS and nothing in terms of Meetup and such.

smithlucas wrote:
As far as the availability and the cost of games is a factor for you: definitely Germany. Games are just so cheap over here compared to other places.

But only if you like German versions, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not just where you live matter. When you live matters as well.

Here in Ottawa (Canada) there seems to be about 3 times the number of active gamers in clubs than 5 years ago. The numbers keep growing. Now there are gaming groups in all parts of the city, so travel time is down to 10 minutes. But most of those groups meet only once a week. But if you are willing to travel for 25 minutes then you can game every day.

My main point is that gaming is growing fast. If it continues to grow for another 5 years, then I will run out of time for anything but playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Essen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:

It's quite a lot harder to change that though

(I do get your point though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Minneapolis-St Paul is tough to beat.

Also good gaming scenes in the Washington DC area.

And Canberra, Australia (though a smaller city).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:

Here in Ottawa (Canada) there seems to be about 3 times the number of active gamers in clubs than 5 years ago. The numbers keep growing. Now there are gaming groups in all parts of the city, so travel time is down to 10 minutes. But most of those groups meet only once a week. But if you are willing to travel for 25 minutes then you can game every day.

My main point is that gaming is growing fast. If it continues to grow for another 5 years, then I will run out of time for anything but playing.

I'm sure on some gamers blog they did a (statistical) top 20 and I think (iirc) Canada was at or near the top; can't seem to find the article at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Toronto - I have never seen a higher density of board game shops and board game café. I went there for vacation and was heavily surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely not here. A couple months ago, I met a fellow who doesn't play board games.

And I thought this was a gamer town ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
It's definitely not here. A couple months ago, I met a fellow who doesn't play board games.

Burn that heretic!!!

Well, I'm not unhappy with the gaming situation in Vienna - with the de Cassans, there's a lot of public gaming going on here and those people spread the word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indianapolis is pretty legit. There are enough open gaming stores in the area and gaming groups around as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
Indianapolis is pretty legit. There are enough open gaming stores in the area and gaming groups around as well.

I hear there's this little known Mom & Pop convention they hold there every year too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.