Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question contains a mild spoiler. I will hide it, for people who want to be careful about getting any spoiler information.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are Captain's Booke entries that say to conduct an endeavor (using this exact word), but there is no defense value, instead the result of your endeavor is determined indexing the number of successes to a chart.

The rulebook says: To attempt an endeavor, you build a dice pool and roll it, trying to roll at least as many successes as the defense of the site where the endeavor takes place. So that doesn't exactly make sense for endeavors where there is no defense value.

Question 1: Do these non-defense endeavors still give +1 Glory on success? And is success still defined as getting at least 1 success die result, and not sinking (sinking can't happen because these non-defense Endeavors generally don't do damage).

We interpreted the answer to be yes, but now I'm doubting that answer.

Question 2: For these paragraph-based endeavors, can you still spend fortune tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My inexperienced answer, for what it's worth:
Based only on the information you gave, I would assume that the endeavor is treated as being against a 'normal' difficulty of '0', so it's not possible to sink (or even take damage), and you could use fortune. And according to the rulebook, p10:
Quote:
If you did not roll a single success, or if your ship sank as a
result of taking damage, the endeavor is a failure and your
turn ends immediately. Otherwise, you succeed (even if
you took damage).
Gain 1 glory for a successful endeavor, and your turn continues.

Also, the rules for Explorers on p16 and Soldiers on p18 hammer home that you "Gain 1 glory for every successful endeavor". So you'd gain a glory if it was successful (which would mean at least one success). Unless the table you mention has damage results, in which case you'd also fail if you sink.

One possible monkey wrench: if this is the result of a explore (or raid?) action, then it *might* be that you are expected to use the difficulty of the site you are at. This seems a bit unreasonable ... but then SeaFall doesn't strike me as a gentle game.

Bottom line, though, is that this probably needs an official response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

There are Captain's Booke entries that say to conduct an endeavor (using this exact word), but there is no defense value, instead the result of your endeavor is determined indexing the number of successes to a chart.

The rulebook says: To attempt an endeavor, you build a dice pool and roll it, trying to roll at least as many successes as the defense of the site where the endeavor takes place. So that doesn't exactly make sense for endeavors where there is no defense value.

Question 1: Do these non-defense endeavors still give +1 Glory on success? And is success still defined as getting at least 1 success die result, and not sinking (sinking can't happen because these non-defense Endeavors generally don't do damage).

We interpreted the answer to be yes, but now I'm doubting that answer.

If I am remembering our plays correctly. These types of endeavors come after an explore or event of some sort so they would give no extra +1 Glory. The text itself will tell you what stat to use, explore, sail, raid, ect. As for what constitutes a success is just the number that you roll. Usually there is something like 0 successes, 1 - 3 successes, 4+ successes where each tell you to go to a different entry.

DaviddesJ wrote:

Question 2: For these paragraph-based endeavors, can you still spend fortune tokens?

I do not see why not, unless otherwise instructed in the reading of the passage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, Matt, do you have some source of official information for your answer, or are you telling us how you interpreted the rule? It sounds like you came to a different conclusion that we did, which is not surprising, but I'm still not sure whether to follow your interpretation or ours. And it's a fairly significant difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David - I think I came to only a slightly different conclusion. And I will try and clarify below. However we are playing someone else's copy so I do not have the full (to this point) stickered rulebook with me to make any additional support.

If the cause of the paragraph endeavor was from another source of something that gave glory which the player should have already received then I do not think the intention was for it to grant double glory. However if the paragraph endeavor was from something like uncharted waters which did not give glory then it would give the one glory.

Hopefully that makes it a little clearer what I was trying to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
These endeavors in the captains booke do not afford additional glory - instead, they're used to determine what happens at the site during the resolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems to be official enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to have that so clearly stated. I'm surprised that such basic questions didn't come up in playtesting, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bower
United States
Springfied
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can an advisor that gives an extra glory for doing an endeavor w/o damage increase one of these from zero to one though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JuggaloNinja wrote:
Can an advisor that gives an extra glory for doing an endeavor w/o damage increase one of these from zero to one though?

No, they don't interact in that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
What about fortune tokens - can you spend them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.