$30.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternative to Rituals of Annihilation: Holocaust of Ecstasy and Freedom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
... the secret priests would take great Cthulhu from His tomb to revive His subjects and resume His rule of earth. The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom.
- H.P. Lovecraft, "The Call of Cthulhu"

Typically in Cthulhu Wars you get a much (perhaps most) of your Doom Points from Rituals of Annihilation. Now, I have always hated Rituals of Annihilation. They are by far my least favourite mechanic in Cthulhu Wars. They are boring. They incentivize you to hoard Gates instead of doing fun stuff. I want to overhaul that mechanic.

In the official two-player rules, you get Doom for killing enemy units but not simply for owning Gates. Rituals still give you Doom for holding Gates like normal. For me, this still leaves the Ritual as something boring and unsatisfying. I am thinking: Why not do the reverse?

This variant is called Holocaust of Ecstasy and Freedom.

* Gates give Doom as normal.
* Each player has a Holocaust[0] marker which starts at zero. (Put it on the Doom track or the Power track, whichever is convenient.)
* Whenever your actions or abiities eliminate enemy units, increment your Holocaust marker by half of the units' Power cost (see two-player rules for clarification).
* In the Doom phase, you may choose to "Shout, Kill and Revel in Joy". This costs the same as a Ritual of Annihilation and increments the Ritual marker. You gain Doom equal to the position of your Holocaust marker.
* At the end of the Doom phase, reset all Holocaust markers to zero.
* Old-fashioned Rituals of Annihilation are not allowed.

I want to talk to my group into trying this next time we play.

[0] According to Wikipedia: "The term holocaust comes from the Greek word holókauston, referring to an animal sacrifice offered to a god in which the whole (olos) animal is completely burnt (kaustos)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
I actually like the rules as is (I think fighting over gates is better than just killing each other), but this is a cool idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Bruno
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Creative. Let us know how it plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.