Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi !

We came across on a weird situation last night, where a player had the Ninja as a leader and the dog as the follower.
Leader was equipped with a rifle weapon also.
On a fight inside the colony he was bitten to death, and here come my questions:
1. Dog becomes the leader?
2. The rifle is gone? (assuming that dog was inside the colony) or it is handed to dog (not very thematic I guess... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can remember;

The Ninja dies, the dog becomes that players leader and the rifle is gone.

It is irrelevant where the dog is:

- If a character dies at a non-colony location all of their items are shuffled into that deck.

- If a character dies at the colony all of their items are removed from the game.

When a character dies you can't hand off anything they have equipped to another character.

Not entirely sure why this is a weird situation, this sort of thing happens a lot in my games - maybe you can elaborate. If its just because Sparky is a dog this has been covered in many other threads; when it comes to being leader/carrying items etc. he acts like any other survivor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Τhanks Pete!

I don't know where I read it but I thought that if your leader dies inside the colony he can hand off his equipment...but that was probably my misunderstanding... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm you've made me doubt myself now...

Just checked the rulebook and you are totally right! I apologise and stand corrected:

Quote:
When a survivor is killed, remove its survivor standee
from the game board, decrease morale by 1, and place
its survivor card in the removed from game pile. If that
survivor had any cards equipped to it and that survivor
is at the colony those cards are added to the hand of the
player that controlled that survivor. If the survivor is
at any other location those cards are shuffled into that
location’s item deck.

If a player’s group leader is killed (or otherwise lost), she
must choose a survivor from her following and make it
her group leader.

Every day is a school day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, mind plays tricks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful here - the equipped items aren't handed off to another of the player's survivors - they're put back into the player's hand. Which means that you can have odd situations like a survivor dying at the colony, and the player controlling that survivor then being able to equip their old items to other survivors outside the colony!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dog with guns is highly thematic in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Be careful here - the equipped items aren't handed off to another of the player's survivors - they're put back into the player's hand. Which means that you can have odd situations like a survivor dying at the colony, and the player controlling that survivor then being able to equip their old items to other survivors outside the colony!

It's not really an odd situation. The game is not being played in real time. It's an abstraction of reality.

A reality in which a dog can use a sniper rifle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, it can be rationalised, but that requires more effort than for a lot of games. It's still odd. And it's still a good game. I'm not one for chucking a game in because it sometimes strays from being perfectly thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Dog with guns is highly thematic in this game.

Sparky's a stunt dog. Very talented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Sure, it can be rationalised, but that requires more effort than for a lot of games. It's still odd. And it's still a good game. I'm not one for chucking a game in because it sometimes strays from being perfectly thematic.

I'm just saying this isn't a rationalization; it's baked into the core of the game. When you send a survivor to a location and search and get a card, that card can then bed used or equipped by any of your survivors immediately, no matter where they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
MercifulBiscuit wrote:

I'm just saying this isn't a rationalization; it's baked into the core of the game. When you send a survivor to a location and search and get a card, that card can then bed used or equipped by any of your survivors immediately, no matter where they are.

It is absolutely a rationalisation. It's a structuring of theme to fit the rules, rather than the other way around, which I think is a great definition of a rationalisation. And that's fine. This is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst an item equiped to a survivor killed at te colony can be re-distrubted (equiped to another survivor via the player's hand), it cannot be used again in the same turn it was initially used.

So you give the dropped item to someone else later during that week / turn, or it is lost if the character died outside of the colony. All thematic to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
jepmn wrote:
MercifulBiscuit wrote:

It is absolutely a rationalisation. It's a structuring of theme to fit the rules, rather than the other way around, which I think is a great definition of a rationalisation. And that's fine. This is a great game.

The objective X weeks of Winter has a turn count = to X. One side is 10, and one is 12 I think. Therefore, it is not really a rationalization that each turn = a week of "real time."

It is assumed that each week/turn, we only see the "highlights" for each survivor. The equipping of items found elsewhere is easily implied when you have a week to go back and forth between base camp and your focal action of the week (searching a location, getting bit, bringing food to the colony's ration stockpile, etc..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
athibor wrote:
Hi !

We came across on a weird situation last night, where a player had the Ninja as a leader and the dog as the follower.
On a fight inside the colony he was bitten to death, and here come my questions:
2. The rifle is gone? (assuming that dog was inside the colony) or it is handed to dog (not very thematic I guess... )

Without this turning into another huge Sparky debate, did we answer your questions, Aris?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
athibor wrote:
Hi !

Without this turning into another huge Sparky debate, did we answer your questions, Aris?

I've been watching this since the beginning and Yes I got my answers.
It slipped me the fact that equipment is not handed off automatically but returns to your hand instead.
However, its always fun to see various opinions for aspects of the game

Thank you geeks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.