Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
First Minnesota did a playtest game of Cataclysm last night:

Rich (Germans), Classy (France/USA), Thomas (Soviets), SteveV (Japanese) and Gordy (British), sitting and pondering a world conflict:

In our "first" game Thomas and his Russians stormed across Europe:

How many times did the Russians fail political rolls? Too many to count.

The 2nd game went much better. But the Germans found it difficult to gain any traction--the fascists in general couldn't roll worth donkey doo. The French did surrender, but just in time for the Americans to show up on the scene. The Russians rumbled into Germany, but was beaten back. The Japanese went unchecked in the Far East. The Italians, tried, and tried, and tried to take Yugoslavia. But really if Italy survives until the end of the game, that's a win for them.

We ended the game one turn early as we were getting exhausted. And I'd say, for me, the only downside to this game, is the later turns can take forever to complete as there are about 40+ chits in the draw cup. And no matter what, there will always be one faction at some point that won't get a chit pulled for like an hour.

But overall I had a great time. The dice rolling, the chit pulling provides drama at every turn. "Please, please, draw my chit from the cup next!" ... "Come on, not another damn Russian counter!! I have like ten offensives in there!!" ... "Hurry up and draw that last Crisis Event!!" Lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the two games we played that day--not once did Benelux get invaded. Crazy. the only action it say was a "failed" British pre-emptive invasion. The Brits and Germans were already at war and the Brits were gonna take Benelux to outflank the Germans, but failed their political roll, and were aborted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.