Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hegemony vs Captured Research Nodes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
On pg. 20, as part of the Planetary Invasion section of the rulebook, the rules state that for each captured research node, a player must hand over an advancement being researched.

Would this be the case if you use Hegemony to absorb a rivals planet into your civ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, as a quick aside, how many D6's come with the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good question, something for GF9 to clarify.
but i think with hegemony you shouldnt take over advancements as the diplomatic talks take more time so the owner has plenty of time to evacuate any research from the labs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I was just thinking about this myself. It seems pretty clear that whenever you lose a node you lose an advancement. If it's destroyed and you are at max, you have to discard one. If it's taken by invasion or hegemony you turn one over.

My question is do you have to turn one over if you aren't at max? Let's say you have 4 nodes and 3 projects and the opponent takes a node. Do you have to give them a project? We've been playing as no. If yes, this is an excellent strategy for Klingons (who seems to have the worst deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Check out the bottom of page 21 (at least in the version online). It clarifies that starbases and research nodes still grant their bonuses of command tokens and rival advances respectively, even if control is achieved through hegemony.
Edit: In addition, it doesn't give the requirement of having max current projects. "If you take control of a rival's System with a Research node, you take one of their projects."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
My question is do you have to turn one over if you aren't at max? Let's say you have 4 nodes and 3 projects and the opponent takes a node. Do you have to give them a project?

Yes, you give a project irrespective of how many "extra" nodes you have.

Also, for each node you loose, you have to give over a project. So if you have a research world with 2 nodes and loose it? Well, give over 2 advancement cards!cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guthmundur wrote:
Check out the bottom of page 21 (at least in the version online). It clarifies that starbases and research nodes still grant their bonuses of command tokens and rival advances respectively, even if control is achieved through hegemony.

Thanks guthmundur! That was a good catch.

I should read the rules more carefully, but you know what, a bloody index would help things out tremendously!

Some of the rules for one thing are all over the place. Like the Starbase rules. Commissioning them is over here, what they do in battle is over there, how they help vs hegemony is somewhere else. Seriously GF9! Get an index together already and/or organize the rule book a little better.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fazakerley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I should read the rules more carefully, but you know what, a bloody index would help things out tremendously!

GF9 never do indexes. I'm a big fan of there games but this is really annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
John1701 wrote:
My question is do you have to turn one over if you aren't at max? Let's say you have 4 nodes and 3 projects and the opponent takes a node. Do you have to give them a project?

Yes, you give a project irrespective of how many "extra" nodes you have.

Also, for each node you loose, you have to give over a project. So if you have a research world with 2 nodes and loose it? Well, give over 2 advancement cards!cry

This isn't quite correct. You hand over 2 active projects if you have them (discarding any research tokens on them). Completed projects (I.e. Advancements) in your play area can't be stolen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
R2EQ wrote:

Assuming this is a joke...?

My game came with 1 die and it's the space lane die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Sassycat wrote:
R2EQ wrote:

The pre-release copies didn't have dice inside the box. You should have gotten a little bag of dice that they were handing out separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Sassycat wrote:
R2EQ wrote:

The pre-release copies didn't have dice inside the box. You should have gotten a little bag of dice that they were handing out separately.

Ha! OK...checked with the wife after reading this. She had put that little bag of dice in a kitchen drawer when we got home from PAX and neglected to tell me. Mystery solved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
got my copy but didn't get any dice. which is fine, i have hundreds.

But i also didn't get the space lane die..

Can anyone tell me what the sides are ?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Found it.

Space lane die is 2-2-3-3-4-4

Thanks to NovaCat for the information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Somehow, I managed to read this entire thread, then receive my copy, unpack and examine the whole thing, then several hours later......realise I have no dice, space lane or otherwise. Balls. What are the odds on the store (Chimera U.K.) having these separate bags? I'm thinking slim.......nuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:
Somehow, I managed to read this entire thread, then receive my copy, unpack and examine the whole thing, then several hours later......realise I have no dice, space lane or otherwise. Balls. What are the odds on the store (Chimera U.K.) having these separate bags? I'm thinking slim.......nuts.

It looks like you got one of the con copies. They didn't have dice included in the box; the dice were included separately. If your retailer didn't include them, you're kinda out of luck unless you want to contact GF9 for a replacement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Sassycat wrote:
R2EQ wrote:

This doesn't seem like that many to me...? You only need a Romulan fleet battling a Klingon fleet and you've potentially run out already, at least if you're doing it simultaneously as the manual suggests. If I don't have any luck getting mine, I was thinking of getting 10 white, 10 red and 10 green. Space Lane die is a little trickier though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.