$20.00
$30.00
$5.00
Thierry Camprubi
France
Amanvillers
Moselle
flag msg tools
Mage Knight est excellentissime !! > Mage Knight is a blast !!
badge
Mon rêve ?...Pouvoir enfin jouer à WotR > My dream?... for heaven's sake, play WotR
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it really how it should be played or did I miss something ??
it was my first game, i had only 2 cards left in the event deck and i managed quite well imho to survive until I draw this brain ! card...
With 2 x 6 strength zeds, and a free forward move when winning combat, they are impossible to stop !
They just killed everything on their way (2 civilians and captain piaza) and reached the town center with four moves in a row...
I was really enjoying this game but felt so disappointed with this that I currently don't feel like playing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tcamprubi wrote:
it was my first game, i had only 2 cards left in the event deck and i managed quite well imho to survive until I draw this brain ! card...
With 2 x 6 strength zeds, and a free forward move when winning combat, they are impossible to stop !
They just killed everything on their way (2 civilians and captain piaza) and reached the town center with four moves in a row...
I was really enjoying this game but felt so disappointed with this that I currently don't feel like playing again.

The trick is, since you know that the Brains cards are in the game, to leave some empty spaces between the enemy and your front line.

If it was your first game you don't know what to expect; but in next games, you will know that there is a Brains card in one of the few 4-star cards, so if it hasn't come up yet, retreat your Piazza and civilians!

If Brains trigger and there is an empty space in front of the big Zeds mob, they will just stop there - problem solved.

Look at it on the bright side - what use is a solo/co-op game that is so easy that you can beat it in your very first game? The balance is there to ensure that it stays challenging even after you are more experienced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tcamprubi wrote:

If the Zeds mob started on Suburbs 3 and the Civs and Piaza were each on a separate space (Suburbs 2, 1, Suburbia) and each of them lost their combat with the mob -- then yes, you played it correctly. That card can definitely be brutal depending on your board state, but now that you've seen how it works I bet you won't leave yourself open to it again! Don't let a loss get you down as you're likely to have many more in the future. Zeds is a tough game but it's one of the best I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If the zombies win a fight and a hero loses but isnt killed so retreats, I guess the zombies move and then attack again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If the zeds win, they advance. So yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Cott
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you played it correctly. Definitely one of the nastier cards. But, like others have said, you know they are there now and can plan for it in future games.

Just wait until the first time you draw two Brains! cards in a row. Now that's tough. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Camprubi
France
Amanvillers
Moselle
flag msg tools
badge
Mon rêve ?...Pouvoir enfin jouer à WotR > My dream?... for heaven's sake, play WotR
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's what (losing combat) made me withdraw each time and lose my units. I can't imagine how difficult this game is when playing with all the rules.
I'll try to give it a last chance because i really enjoyed the first part of my gaming session. Thanks for your answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tcamprubi wrote:
Yes, that's what (losing combat) made me withdraw each time and lose my units. I can't imagine how difficult this game is when playing with all the rules.
I'll try to give it a last chance because i really enjoyed the first part of my gaming session. Thanks for your answers

Actually, the difficulty doesn't increase *that* much.
It gets more complex, and you need different strategies to win.
I just got the game last week, I played 8 games and won 5 (although I got a few rules wrong here and there than means some of my wins might not have been legit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Camprubi
France
Amanvillers
Moselle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whow !, I'm impressed ! 5 games on 8 ??, from my point of view and my experience after 3 plays (all lost of course , this sounds impossible.
I just finished my third game in level 2 (above the First Game rules) and abandoned very quickly (5th Event card) with the deputy dying in Hand to hand combat, 2 EKG civilians at the hospital, 1 dead Regular Civilian and a wounded M. Johnson...
Poor dice rolls , lots of Zeds mobs on almost every track and no ammunitions left (because of bad rolls), the game is no longer winnable.
In fact, at this point, I didn't appreciated much the last two games because of the difficulty - How the hell can you handle a track with a full health 13 strength's Zed Mob, a 6 strength mob appearing in the closest village from town due to infection roll with nobody between them and the town center ??
I really try to avoid forgetting all the little rules and I see in some videos that it seems pretty usual to forget some of them. May be some winning games should have turn into lost ones. it makes me feel better to think this way !

I managed to win several games when playing Mage knight which isn't really easy imho so I'm a little bit confused with this one mainly when I see some of you winning most of the time...
I really begin to consider that I might suck at boardgames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tcamprubi wrote:
whow !, I'm impressed ! 5 games on 8 ??, from my point of view and my experience after 3 plays (all lost of course , this sounds impossible.
I just finished my third game in level 2 (above the First Game rules) and abandoned very quickly (5th Event card) with the deputy dying in Hand to hand combat, 2 EKG civilians at the hospital, 1 dead Regular Civilian and a wounded M. Johnson...
Poor dice rolls , lots of Zeds mobs on almost every track and no ammunitions left (because of bad rolls), the game is no longer winnable.
In fact, at this point, I didn't appreciated much the last two games because of the difficulty - How the hell can you handle a track with a full health 13 strength's Zed Mob, a 6 strength mob appearing in the closest village from town due to infection roll with nobody between them and the town center ??
I really try to avoid forgetting all the little rules and I see in some videos that it seems pretty usual to forget some of them. May be some winning games should have turn into lost ones. it makes me feel better to think this way !

I managed to win several games when playing Mage knight which isn't really easy imho so I'm a little bit confused with this one mainly when I see some of you winning most of the time...
I really begin to consider that I might suck at boardgames

Well, I posted my strategies in:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1636276/few-strategies-shar...

Some answers to your questions:
a) I am sure that if I got the rules perfect, some of my close wins would have been close losses. They were almost all won at the last round. Rules I got wrong in some of my games included:
- I forgot to increase infection when removing Chaos, and that units in a chaos space cannot do any actions.
- I forgot that Town spaces count as named spaces and can get a Chaos marker.
- I forgot that each unit can be healed only once per round
- I forgot that Refugees do not retreat when they are with another unit that retreats/dies.

b) Make sure you only take actions to do efficient things. So don't use gunfire to shoot with units with poor strength (less than 4; exception possibly the VFW if you got actions to spare but are low on ammo), don't forage in random spaces when you can send a scavenger in the mines, etc.

c) Early in the game (Act 2) there are a lot of night attacks (no terrain shift) so you don't want to use heroes to defend - use your civilians. *they are expendable*

d) You Deputy should be defending a space with a barricade, taking a total of 3 shifts to the right, and have a reroll and the Tough ability. If against a very tough mob, do gunfire attacks enough to flip one or both mobs to the other side, if that would mean you roll at a better column. For example, if your Deputy is against a Zed mob with strength 11, which if you flip they would be strength 8, then both times you'd be rolling at the Hero Advantage, so no need to shoot at them. If you can shoot at one of the Zeds to make the mob strength 7, definitely spend a couple of actions doing so.

e) To ideally deal with a mob with strength 13, give it ground (defend at Town) and shoot at it until both zeds flip (to a manageable strength 7 if possible). Then defend with Deputy and roll at Heroesx2 (failing only on a roll of 2). Also to deal with the unit spawning close to centre, you would normally have some of your starting heroes and/or heroic civilians still in the Town Centre. Unless you moved them all out early, which was a tactical mistake (early on, don't spend too many actions on moves, try to secure 1 track (often the mines) with a scavenger and good fighting hero, and leave the rest of the units in the Town Centre. Let the Zeds come to you, and defend closer to town.

f) I am very experienced with solo boardgames - I always win at Mage Knight when playing solo with the standard solo conquest scenario (at the default city levels), usually during the 3rd day with a round to spare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Camprubi
France
Amanvillers
Moselle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I persevered and had a fourth game (in a row) but abandoned again when seeing the Forest track and as always, my incredibly poor dice rolls!
You can't see it in the picture but the highway is full of Zeds and so does the mountain track. Deputy is in the mine, wounded,
I had johnson in the mine for the other games and tried something else...
Captain piaza and the mayor are in town center and I haven't got any barricade in this game yet since it's level 1 ruled.
Thanks for all your advices. I'll give it another chance in a near future or will sell it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple random thoughts:

1) I had the same issues with the game at first as you did. The main problem for me was that it wasn't readily apparent how I should use my early game actions. There were a bunch of things I could do, but nothing stood out as an obvious tactic to use. That was, until I realized that civs could build barricades even before they get activated. That changed things for me, barricades can buy you a lot of time.

2) Losing to this game has been a much more enjoyable experience than losing to other coop/solitaire games. This one tells a gripping story even in a loss. Even in a blowout loss, where you never had a chance, and the zombies just overrun you almost instantly. I had one of those games once, and it has stuck with me: I sent my sniper out to try and keep the suburbs clear during the early game -- that was the strat I decided on, going in. It didn't work. As soon as she got into position, there was a Suburbian Night Assault and all hell broke loose. She got devoured instantly, the town hall never heard from her again. Which was fine because they weren't hearing much of anything else either, a few turns later. It was a bloodbath and I laughed out loud at how badly I'd gotten beaten.

As a contrast, I have another game that I won't mention, that I can never beat -- and in those losses, all I see is a ruleset that doesn't allow this or that strategy, or a set of dice that didn't cooperate. After a DotZ loss, instead I see the tattered remains of town ravaged by zombies, and it seems I should have a moment of silence for those brave heroes who were lost trying to defend it.

Hopefully you can reach that point with this game. I haven't found another one that does that quite as well as DotZ does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Camprubi
France
Amanvillers
Moselle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mageknight does ! and imho, I does it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MK and DotZ3rd feel different: both tell stories, but not as gripping for MK, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.