12 Posts

King of New York» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using KoNY monsters in KoT rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
OnePage Anon
msg tools
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about buying both KoT and KoNY after reading some reviews, and since we usually play with a large group of players (8-10) I would like to know if it's possible to use the KoNY monsters in KoT.

So, does anybody know if you could play with KoNY monsters in KoT?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems except no "power up" cards if you use those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:

Unless you also get the upcoming King of New York: Power Up! which brings power up cards for both games for the NY characters. New printings of King of Tokyo: Power Up! will supposedly have power up cards for both for Tokyo monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe
United States
Indio
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Customer Service, Translator, Webmaster, Reviewer Contact for IELLO USA
badge
Ask me stuff! I'll help you!
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
New printings of King of Tokyo: Power Up! will supposedly have power up cards for both for Tokyo monsters.

They definitely will!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OnePage Anon
msg tools
Awesome, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a word of warning, though. The game already drags a bit with 5 players. It's very difficult to stay a whole round in Tokyo/Manhattan already with 4 other monsters beating on you. I'd imagine it'd be near impossible with 8-10 players. The downtime is very real, because there's pretty much nothing to do while the other players go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
Just a word of warning, though. The game already drags a bit with 5 players. It's very difficult to stay a whole round in Tokyo/Manhattan already with 4 other monsters beating on you. I'd imagine it'd be near impossible with 8-10 players. The downtime is very real, because there's pretty much nothing to do while the other players go.

Totally. I suggest you find something else if you want to play with more than six. If you go to the page you can see that roughly 80% of voters say it's "not recommended" with more than six players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
If you go to the page you can see that roughly 80% of voters say it's "not recommended" with more than six players.

Part of that has to do with the game being designed>tested>equipped for only 6 players.
But that are a full 1 out of 5 people that do apparently find it fun with more than 6, maybe he will too? He doesn't really lose anything by trying.
I will say it will likely be a bit different of a game. Kind of like how a 2 player game is a good bit different than a 5 player game.

I also find it funny how there is _1_ person who 'Recommends' it with just 1 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
nerman8r wrote:
If you go to the page you can see that roughly 80% of voters say it's "not recommended" with more than six players.

Part of that has to do with the game being designed>tested>equipped for only 6 players.
But that are a full 1 out of 5 people that do apparently find it fun with more than 6, maybe he will too? He doesn't really lose anything by trying.
I will say it will likely be a bit different of a game. Kind of like how a 2 player game is a good bit different than a 5 player game.

I also find it funny how there is _1_ person who 'Recommends' it with just 1 player.

Well, it's just that if he's buying both games on the assumption that it's going to be fun with 8-10 players, then there is something to lose. I'm not sure I'd even recommend owning both games, but that's probably preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
Well, it's just that if he's buying both games on the assumption that it's going to be fun with 8-10 players, then there is something to lose.
Then I'd recommend buying one of the games and doing a few test runs with action figures or something to get up to 8+ monsters. See how things go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:

An often overlooked variant in the KoT: Power Up! rulebook is drafting. You shuffle up a stack of enough mutations for everyone to have 8 and then draft them out. It works well for including KoNY monsters (till KoNY: Power Up! is released) and doesn't pigeonhole a certain monster into a specific play style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rivera
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
Play with 6+ a lot and it's always been fun, though if you get eliminated early you could be waiting for a while.

The house rule we play with in KoT is, if you manage to hold Tokyo until your next turn, you gain as many stars as there are monsters still alive....so if you have 8 monsters you get 8 stars. Bigger risk bigger reward, and it's not so cut and dry since a lot of times earlier monsters will use their turns for selfish reasons and not attack, causing there to be a sense of urgency once a monster gets closer to all those stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.