Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
59 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Why do so many Democrats want to restore voting rights for fellons ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it turns out they do it for (wait for it) selfish reasons. I know its shooooooooooocking.


Quote:
A new study of how criminals vote found that most convicts register Democratic, a key reason in why liberal lawmakers and governors are eager for them to get back into the voting booth after their release.

“Democrats would benefit from additional ex-felon participation,” said the authoritative study in The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science.

The authors, professors from the University of Pennsylvania and Stanford University, found that in some states, felons register Democratic by more than six-to-one. In New York, for example, 61.5 percent of convicts are Democrats, just 9 percent Republican. They also cited a study that found 73 percent of convicts who turn out for presidential elections would vote Democrat.



The study looked at three states which are reminding convicts that they can vote after leaving jail: New York, New Mexico and North Carolina.

New York: 61.5 percent register Democratic, 9 percent register Republican

New Mexico: 51.9 percent Democratic, 10.2 percent Republican

North Carolina: 54.6 percent Democratic, 10.2 percent Republican





http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jail-survey-nearly-34-felo...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Well it turns out they do it for (wait for it) selfish reasons. I know its shooooooooooocking.


Quote:
A new study of how criminals vote found that most convicts register Democratic, a key reason in why liberal lawmakers and governors are eager for them to get back into the voting booth after their release.

“Democrats would benefit from additional ex-felon participation,” said the authoritative study in The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science.

The authors, professors from the University of Pennsylvania and Stanford University, found that in some states, felons register Democratic by more than six-to-one. In New York, for example, 61.5 percent of convicts are Democrats, just 9 percent Republican. They also cited a study that found 73 percent of convicts who turn out for presidential elections would vote Democrat.



The study looked at three states which are reminding convicts that they can vote after leaving jail: New York, New Mexico and North Carolina.

New York: 61.5 percent register Democratic, 9 percent register Republican

New Mexico: 51.9 percent Democratic, 10.2 percent Republican

North Carolina: 54.6 percent Democratic, 10.2 percent Republican





http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jail-survey-nearly-34-felo...


Maybe the Democrats are trying to re integrate parolees into society and reduce recidivism. And maybe, just maybe, said parolees appreciated being treated like human beings.

Or did you think that treating them like lesser beings in every way possible after they served their time serves any purpose except blind vengeance
21 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So Santorum is a democrat?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Three strikes laws made getting a 'felony' much easier. In this era of legalisation banning someone from voting because of possession seems silly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Three strikes laws made getting a 'felony' much easier. In this era of legalisation banning someone from voting because of possession seems silly.
Also it it not true that every American break at least 999 laws (or something like that) every day?

I am sure someone here has said that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Well it turns out they do it for (wait for it) selfish reasons. I know its shooooooooooocking.


Quote:
A new study of how criminals vote found that most convicts register Democratic, a key reason in why liberal lawmakers and governors are eager for them to get back into the voting booth after their release.

“Democrats would benefit from additional ex-felon participation,” said the authoritative study in The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science.

The authors, professors from the University of Pennsylvania and Stanford University, found that in some states, felons register Democratic by more than six-to-one. In New York, for example, 61.5 percent of convicts are Democrats, just 9 percent Republican. They also cited a study that found 73 percent of convicts who turn out for presidential elections would vote Democrat.



The study looked at three states which are reminding convicts that they can vote after leaving jail: New York, New Mexico and North Carolina.

New York: 61.5 percent register Democratic, 9 percent register Republican

New Mexico: 51.9 percent Democratic, 10.2 percent Republican

North Carolina: 54.6 percent Democratic, 10.2 percent Republican





http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jail-survey-nearly-34-felo...


Maybe the Democrats are trying to re integrate parolees into society and reduce recidivism. And maybe, just maybe, said parolees appreciated being treated like human beings.

Or did you think that treating them like lesser beings in every way possible after they served their time serves any purpose except blind vengeance
Maybe it's not just democrats who think this is unfair?

After all Garry Johnson thinks they should have the right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you have served the time, why should your constitutional right to vote continue to be removed?
This is going to be an ideological issue about freedom. Since the Republicans seem to not like personal liberties they are going to want to maintain the loss of voting. If prisons are for rehabilitation then full citizen's rights should be restored as much as possible.
23 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Well it turns out they do it for (wait for it) selfish reasons. I know its shooooooooooocking.


Quote:
A new study of how criminals vote found that most convicts register Democratic, a key reason in why liberal lawmakers and governors are eager for them to get back into the voting booth after their release.

“Democrats would benefit from additional ex-felon participation,” said the authoritative study in The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science.

The authors, professors from the University of Pennsylvania and Stanford University, found that in some states, felons register Democratic by more than six-to-one. In New York, for example, 61.5 percent of convicts are Democrats, just 9 percent Republican. They also cited a study that found 73 percent of convicts who turn out for presidential elections would vote Democrat.



The study looked at three states which are reminding convicts that they can vote after leaving jail: New York, New Mexico and North Carolina.

New York: 61.5 percent register Democratic, 9 percent register Republican

New Mexico: 51.9 percent Democratic, 10.2 percent Republican

North Carolina: 54.6 percent Democratic, 10.2 percent Republican





http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jail-survey-nearly-34-felo...


Maybe the Democrats are trying to re integrate parolees into society and reduce recidivism. And maybe, just maybe, said parolees appreciated being treated like human beings.

Or did you think that treating them like lesser beings in every way possible after they served their time serves any purpose except blind vengeance
Maybe it's not just democrats who think this is unfair?

After all Garry Johnson thinks they should have the right.


Oh I have no doubt the Libertarians have a more enlightened view than the GOP. Just was commenting on the Democrat v GOP views on this score.

Amazing isn't it. The GOP/Right treats a group like shit, then is amazed when said group does not support them
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Well it turns out they do it for (wait for it) selfish reasons. I know its shooooooooooocking.


Quote:
A new study of how criminals vote found that most convicts register Democratic, a key reason in why liberal lawmakers and governors are eager for them to get back into the voting booth after their release.

“Democrats would benefit from additional ex-felon participation,” said the authoritative study in The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science.

The authors, professors from the University of Pennsylvania and Stanford University, found that in some states, felons register Democratic by more than six-to-one. In New York, for example, 61.5 percent of convicts are Democrats, just 9 percent Republican. They also cited a study that found 73 percent of convicts who turn out for presidential elections would vote Democrat.



The study looked at three states which are reminding convicts that they can vote after leaving jail: New York, New Mexico and North Carolina.

New York: 61.5 percent register Democratic, 9 percent register Republican

New Mexico: 51.9 percent Democratic, 10.2 percent Republican

North Carolina: 54.6 percent Democratic, 10.2 percent Republican





http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jail-survey-nearly-34-felo...


Because they hold more promise as citizens than your demographic?
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
If prisons are for rehabilitation then full citizen's rights should be restored as much as possible.


please clarify this. I love the wiggle room you leave yourself.I can only assume you agree that their 2nd amendment rights should be restored ?

Should we allow child predators to work with children again ?


slatersteven wrote:
After all Garry Johnson thinks they should have the right.


I said Democrats.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
If prisons are for rehabilitation then full citizen's rights should be restored as much as possible.


please clarify this. I love the wiggle room you leave yourself.I can only assume you agree that their 2nd amendment rights should be restored ?

Should we allow child predators to work with children again ?


slatersteven wrote:
After all Garry Johnson thinks they should have the right.


I said Democrats.
I thought he was a libertarian, ohh the web they weave for themselves.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do so many christian republicans not believe in forgiveness and think a punishment should last the rest of a life?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
Why do some many christian republicans not believe in forgivenss and think a punsihment should last the rest of a life?


No idea, you would need to ask them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Well it turns out they do it for (wait for it) selfish reasons. I know its shooooooooooocking.


Quote:
A new study of how criminals vote found that most convicts register Democratic, a key reason in why liberal lawmakers and governors are eager for them to get back into the voting booth after their release.

“Democrats would benefit from additional ex-felon participation,” said the authoritative study in The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science.

The authors, professors from the University of Pennsylvania and Stanford University, found that in some states, felons register Democratic by more than six-to-one. In New York, for example, 61.5 percent of convicts are Democrats, just 9 percent Republican. They also cited a study that found 73 percent of convicts who turn out for presidential elections would vote Democrat.



The study looked at three states which are reminding convicts that they can vote after leaving jail: New York, New Mexico and North Carolina.

New York: 61.5 percent register Democratic, 9 percent register Republican

New Mexico: 51.9 percent Democratic, 10.2 percent Republican

North Carolina: 54.6 percent Democratic, 10.2 percent Republican





http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jail-survey-nearly-34-felo...


Because it's wrong to disenfranchise them.

Especially based on criminal laws specifically targeted at particular groups of citizens. If pot were legal, a million likely democratic voters wouldn't be felons in the first place.

Not that it matters to republicans, they threw 89,000 voters off the voting list asserting they were felons in florida when they weren't felons anyway.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Three strikes laws made getting a 'felony' much easier. In this era of legalisation banning someone from voting because of possession seems silly.
Also it it not true that every American break at least 999 laws (or something like that) every day?

I am sure someone here has said that.


The average often quoted is 3. And police will say they can get you for a traffic violation in under 15 minutes of following you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why do so many REPUBLICANS want to DENY voting rights for felons ?
Well it turns out they do it for (wait for it) selfish reasons. I know its shooooooooooocking.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

It's more like the Republicans oppose it for selfish reasons.

Banning someone from voting AFTER THEY HAVE SERVED THEIR SENTENCE is 100% unconstitutional.
8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
Avatar
mbmbmb
So correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be what's going on in this thread:

1) Jeremy looks at voting for felons primarily from a partisan position

2) Everyone else looks at it from a moral/ethical/constitutional position

18 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
Banning someone from voting AFTER THEY HAVE SERVED THEIR SENTENCE is 100% unconstitutional.

Under what doctrine? The Fourteenth amendment seems to make it perfectly Constitutional. You could maybe take the equal rights argument, that minorities are disproportionately affected, but the Supreme Court has already litigated that as recently as the 80s.

Being shitty and being legal are two very different things.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
Banning someone from voting AFTER THEY HAVE SERVED THEIR SENTENCE is 100% unconstitutional.

Under what doctrine? The Fourteenth amendment seems to make it perfectly Constitutional. You could maybe take the equal rights argument, that minorities are disproportionately affected, but the Supreme Court has already litigated that as recently as the 80s.

Being shitty and being legal are two very different things.



The 18th Amendment prohibits the federal government from "imposing excessive bail, excessive fines, or cruel and unusual punishment".

A lifetime ban from voting seems both cruel and unusual to me.

The 15th Amendment says, "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

Being in prison is a sort of condition of servitude, since you are under the direct control of the government during that time.

I realize the 14th says traitors can be banned from voting due to rebellion "or other crime", but given the context it's talking about treasonous crime, not losing your right to vote for your entire life because you sold some weed when you were 18.
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
Avatar
mbmbmb
Noting That the Supreme Court disagreed with Trey (although I certainly think he's right), it's probably also federally illegal under civil rights law.

There's certainly a... pattern on where the most punitive felon disenfranchisement happens.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Libertarians should be supporting this as well.
12 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
So correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be what's going on in this thread:

1) Jeremy looks at voting for felons primarily from a partisan position

2) Everyone else looks at it from a moral/ethical/constitutional position



It makes Jeremy sound like a statist. I thought he supports people's rights.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
For me, it's because I have the impression that one of the principle sources of injustice in our society is our justice and prison system. The people most directly affected by it, with the most intimate knowledge of it, seem like the sort of people who'd be able to offer a useful corrective.

I'm going to get up on my crazy soapbox and say that I think disenfranchising ANYONE introduces a strong bias which will usually result in those people suffering reduced rights or services. This is why I've long searched for a reasonable way to allow children to vote. I recognize there are lots of practical problems with this, which is why I'm not an absolutist about it, but the existence of things like age-based curfews strikes me as a clear and mortifying indication that adults can't be trusted to care for the freedoms of children as they care for their own. Kids live in a totalitarian society which tells them how great it is that it's so free.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Libertarians should be supporting this as well.


Well, right, and they should be against racist policing and a million other more blatant and/or violent examples of government coercion than taxation... but selective outrage is kind of the whole point.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.