Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elwin R.
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In our local meta (Enschede, Netherlands) I've noticed a growing distance between the more casual minded Netrunner players and the competitive set. Now this topic isn't meant as a discussion on what the difference is (or if it even is there), as the distinction isn't very clearcut in my own opinion.

What I would like to do, is offer an option in between the kitchen table and the tournament scene, mainly to lower the barrier to entry to new players, both in starting expenses and power level. As a side benefit, it offers an interesting challenge to existing players. Think of it as a stepping stone or just fun alternative challenge.

1.1.1.1 is our suggested option, which seeks to sit between "kitchen table" and tournament scene.

More feedback on the format would be greatly welcome. I've ran a first GNK with it and things have turned out great, with growth in player numbers and an enthusiastic reception. Still, I'm interested in thoughts and suggestions.

Thoughts?

PS. As "one-dot-one-dot-one-dot-one" doesn't really roll of the tongue, we call it "Onesies".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm generally a fan of temporary deck building restrictions to shake up the meta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that this is serious business, but is the implication that you or your "we" claim to have invented the format? I've seen it regularly discussed around places like Reddit and Stimhack for months. All for a shakeup either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwin R.
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not that much of a fan of bluntly stating: "I/we/our local meta invented this format". I'm pretty sure other people have thought of similar ideas.

I'll take the claim though for putting it forward in this way, neatly organizing/testing the rules and trying to get more people interested plus potential feedback.

Sidenote: I think the original 1.1.1.1 poster on Stimhack is also me (from where it jumped to Reddit I think), but again, this is not meant to take credit. It is meant as a suggestion that might grow our awesome hobby, lower the barrier of entry to potential newcomers and offer a fun challenge where deck building can be explored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun option!

What's your reasoning for making the ID choice not dependent on the set you choose? That gives a big advantage to people who are deep into the game, since they can then, conceivably, use cards from five different sets.

Does your system allow people to sub in cards they don't have? What about a new player who wants to try an ID they don't have, for instance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
What's your reasoning for making the ID choice not dependent on the set you choose? That gives a big advantage to people who are deep into the game, since they can then, conceivably, use cards from five different sets.

It gives people a chance to try out various IDs they wouldn't consider playing normally. So more flexibility and unique decks. All players in the GNK that Elwin mentioned used a different corp ID.

wombat929 wrote:
Does your system allow people to sub in cards they don't have? What about a new player who wants to try an ID they don't have, for instance?

Well, in a format targeted at new players proxies should never be a problem, right? And/or borrow the card(s) you need.
Also, it seems to me that whether you allow proxies is independent of the format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
The casual and the tourny scene will split when the game cycles right? The Tournament Scene will only use valid cards, and the casual scene will use what ever they own. Though I guess a legacy style event could pop up in the pro leagues.

Personally I think a Cube Draft is the best way for casuals to play. No need to per-construct decks and many of the crazy combos are lost. Ot is a great way for good and casual players to sit at teh same table and have a lot of fun, rather than one player getting steamrolled by some combo shenanigans.

Jakuza wrote:

rofl at all these douche bags going on about "who said what first"... instead of just saying thanks that you shared something with them.

I like these ideas, I think restricted card pools are fun, but in my experience it doesn't really change the fundamental problem of the casual. That they turn up to a game night and do not have a deck to play.

I only play casual with mates in my game group and often (unless we draft which we pretty much always do now) My self and one other used to provide decks, that were randomly assigned on the night as no one, even with all the online builders would find the time to make a deck.

I like this idea, and I think the 1.1.1.1 name is catchy, but the stimhack draft cubes is the best coffee table version of the game imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Run Last Click also did something similar and discussed the deck they made. I like how they said it was okay to Proxy in a set of Jackson and Plascrete because otherwise, everyone would have to choose the respective datapacks, limiting their overall choices.

The rules of the decks were:

Quote:
- Build a runner and a corp deck using 1 Core Set and either:
-- 1 Duluxe Expansion and 2 Data Packs
-- 4 Data Packs
- Jackson and Plascrete can be proxied.
- The decks do not have to be Most Wanted List legal.

Check out the episode here:

http://runlastclick.blogspot.jp/2016/08/episode-63-one-core-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
Run Last Click also did something similar and discussed the deck they made. I like how they said it was okay to Proxy in a set of Jackson and Plascrete because otherwise, everyone would have to choose the respective datapacks, limiting their overall choices.

This is why in 1.1.1.1 you have the choice of picking 1 card. So you can choose Jackson and Plascrete. But if you want a different card, you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwin R.
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Exactly. It's a more elegant solution than just saying: Jackson / Plascrete free. In fact they are, but you can opt to use the slot for something else. :)

Also; thanks for the supportive comments up there guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.1.1.1 format is now supported on Netrunnerdb.com! Hooray for Alsciende and the netrunner community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also being discussed on jinteki.net developer Slack:

joelcfc25 [8:10 AM]
people are asking on Reddit about possible support for this new 1.1.1.1 format

[8:10]
NRDB has added it

saintis [8:30 AM]
I'll look into it.

[8:31]
I'm trying to separate out the deckbuilder deck-checking so it could be used server-side as well, should not be too messy to add 1.1.1.1 support as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwin R.
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Both very cool. NetrunnerDB support was known (chatted with Alsciende about it, the man is a saint), but Jinteki.net possibly picking it up as well is news to me. Great to hear. Thanks to the J.net developers for looking into it as well.

This game's community continues to amaze me. I seriously haven't come across anything like it in boardgames/cardgames before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Portland, OR is going to run its first "Onesie" tournament Oct. 29.
Event listing here:
[Portland, OR] 1.1.1.1. Tournament @ The Portland Game Store - Oct. 29, 2016

I have been playing with two 1.1.1.1. decks for the past two weeks and they do alright even against normal competitive decks (well prior to the release of Escalation and BOOM they worked ok).

When I am done playing in the tournament I will post my deck lists.

EDIT: Also, someone created this tool to make 1.1.1.1. decks even more of a design challenge, it randomly gives you the card pool to design a deck:
http://net1er.jaesond.cc/

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwin R.
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Boom might actually turn out to be an issue in the format, although the 2 tag requirement is pretty hard to hit. Cool to see this being picked up even more (and across the pond!).

:thumbsup:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jakuza wrote:
Boom might actually turn out to be an issue in the format

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwin R.
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pretty hard to defend against with a lot of the protection hidden away in different packs was the line of thinking. I did some testing and didn't run into any issues, but it's something I'll be watching for at our own upcoming 1.1.1.1 tournament.

I don't think it will actually turn out to be an issue, but let's just say I like to be aware of potential issues that might pop up. Monitoring is too big a word here, but definitely watching the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Requiring two tags, two clicks, and not getting trashed before setup, I'm not sweating it. If a core set, deluxe set, data pack, and any other card isn't enough, the runner game has become "avoid Boom" and I think Netrunner is pretty screwed with or without a variant format

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwin R.
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you're right in the end. The card is appropriately hard to fire. Just being wary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the ONESIES format! It's just the kind of thing I enjoy most about deckbuilding. I've always called these things META-BREAKERS because they force competitive deckbuilding and don't allow for prevailing local or tournament META to heavily influence the choices.

I'll be playing ONESIES soon to test it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played the onesies for Matt recently with a friend. It was a very good experience. It forced us to really make some creative choices with our deck building because we could include just every card that we wanted. I did not feel like it handicapped us to badly, The two decks that I built are competitive with my other casual tax that I had sitting around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwin R.
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great to hear! Also; There will be some updates to the format in the coming weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.