Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg MN
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a complaint, just a general curiousity. These two abominations miniatures seem so small in comparison to the others. In particular, gluttony seems small, especially considering the thematic portrayal of a gluttonous creature.

Was there any mention of this size discrepancy from CMoN? Is this an artistic decision, or perhaps the result of a change in sculpting direction midway through production? I was opening all of the boxes and found the scale of these two expansion sets to be a surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine B
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also kind of surprised to see the size of those minis when I opened my copy. But looking back on the Kickstarter images I don't think it's changed since then so I guess that's how they were originally designed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, to me it doesn't look like they're small so much as others are simply big. Gluttony and Greed look about in line with the rest here. I don't have my copy yet, though; I'll see if I feel differently once it arrives (today!).

Seems like a deliberate variance to me, and not a change midway. They don't all have to be the same. I guess I never expected they would all be the same size.

EDITS: Just realized OP was talking about the smaller monsters, not the avatar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg MN
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the Kickstarter images accurately reflect the size of the actual figures. In particular, it is obvious the base sizes are different.

From a consistency standpoint, however, it seems odd the base sizes would differ. As a backer I am perfectly fine with the variations. However, I think I would be a bit disappointed to pay retail for the Gluttony expansion if I had first purchased an Envy expansion, for example. The abominations are just so small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The one that bothered me was the Lust controller (of course). It's a Priest, but it seems like the Gluttony controller would've been more apt. Maybe it's just a comment on the Church being a sexual regulation society or they wanted to avoid the obvious, but sometimes things are obvious for a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, a priest as the Lust controller fits IMO. Thinking of a number of well-reported instances here.

Gluttony's doesn't make a ton of sense to me, though. Don't really associate leather doms with that.

I like the Greed controller's belly guy holding up his pants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sendy
msg tools
I think the Gluttony controller is probably a reference to the "Glutton for punishment" phrase...that is a guess though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
belverker wrote:
I think the Gluttony controller is probably a reference to the "Glutton for punishment" phrase...that is a guess though

That could be true, but the phrase though isn't really related to Gluttony. From Wiktionary:

"Is Glutton for Punishment same as Gluttony?

Don’t confuse gluttony with glutton for punishment. Being gluttonous would mean a greedy person committing the sin of overeating. As such the person indulging in gluttony is interested in fulfilling his own desires. On the other hand, a person who is a glutton for punishment readily accepts difficult tasks more so to unburden others rather than for fulfilling any personal desires. Sometimes the idiom glutton for punishment is used in a ironic manner as in the example- “That my brother is a glutton for punishment is proved by the fact that he has invited his annoying neighbor for a family get-together.”"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was super glad to find them smaller because looking at the paint job made me think. Rogland is an amazing commission group how did they make a simple mistakes on gluttony and greed abominations? Its because they didn't. The pictures are zoomed in on and probably look amazing zoomed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
United States
Byron Center
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fulfilling his own desires... It's that desire portion that puts the controller where she is.

As for the lust and the church, its not just sexual. it's lust for control and power that makes them the perfect selection to control Lust. The documented cases are just the icing on the cake for that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, having gone through my own stuff now, yeah, those Greed aboms are little shrimps! Nicely detailed; I'm not upset, but they're pretty dinky!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The miniatures are based on the art, not the conventional concept of the seven sins. This is as close as I could find to art that had a sense of scale of the gluttony creatures. Does anyone have a better picture?

The two abominations are in the background, but are on the small side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.