Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Hardy
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
My wife and I play a lot of games together. On several occasions we are able to get our 3 kids to play. My question is should we get the 7 wonders because we can add more people if we want although we will play 50% of the time as 2 players or should we just go with the 7 wonders duel? We will eventually get both but finances will not allow it so I am slated for one purchase at the moment.

Any thoughts suggestions/comments welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 7W and I use it as 2 player game as well as with more players in my game group. I decided not to buy 7W Duel because we (Mrs PzVIE and I) enjoy 7W - even with the additional dummy player - very much, so the need for a specific 2P game wasn't there.

I guess Duel is the "better" game for only two, but I'm so happy with 7W that I have no interest in buying a more or less similar game. And it's an awesome multiplayer too! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hardy
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your quick reply. Glad to hear this. I think 7 Wonders is the one as well I just got worried because the BGG page for 7 Wonders community says 3-7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duel seems to have a lot of fans, but I find it to be too simplistic after having played the bigger brother, even at 2 players. There is a dummy player to manage of course, and newer gamers might find that confusing and fiddly. For me, it adds another layer of decision making and a little bit of player interaction in that you can feed the dummy cards you know your opponent would want to draft, or feed them resources you want to buy from so you don't have to pay your opponent.

If you're going to be playing with more gateway-level-gamers, then Duel might be a better fit. But if the idea of a dummy player doesn't bother you, I'd suggest 7 wonders over duel any day, even if you only play 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hardy
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the added input. We do have some experienced people that will be playing, when I say kids lol one is 23. So the gateway issue will not be such a huge curve. I don't think my wife and I will mind having the dummy hand especially if it adds to the strategy. Actually preferably, that will be awesome.

Ok off to get 7 wonders! Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antanas
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with other guys. 7W is more deep, more strategic, and less random with 2 players. We prefer 2-player 7W much more than 7Wuel. And it is still awesome (although very different) with many people, so I'd definitely recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Get 7 Wonders; as with the Duellum variant,see Variants in the forum, you can play Duell with the regular 7Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tramp-Johnson
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be the voice of (semi-)dissent on this one. Although I agree, hands down, that the original 7W should be your first purchase, you definitely should not neglect getting Duel. While it may seem simpler to some, especially after playing the original for a while, there is no doubt that Duel makes playing 7W so much more accessible. I probably wouldn't get to table any 7W game if I didn't have Duel. The box is smaller and more portable, making it easy to take to the coffee shop and play a quick game. Plus, with the new Pantheon expansion coming out for Duel, it will provide a unique 2 player experience that, I hate to say, the original simply cannot compete with. So, get the original first, maybe even one or two of the expansions after that if you wish, but definitely keep Duel at the top of the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll also say that while some people enjoy the official 7 Wonder two player variant, I personally don't. It feels forced to me.

Having said that, I really enjoy the two player variant introduced in the fan expansion Empires. (You don't need the expansion to play the variant, but I recommend it.) Basically, each player plays two boards and you add the scores. Players tend to like one variant or the other, but, in my experience, not both. The four-handed version requires a bit more familiarity with the game or multitasking skill to pull off well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hg_enterprises wrote:
My wife and I play a lot of games together. On several occasions we are able to get our 3 kids to play. My question is should we get the 7 wonders because we can add more people if we want although we will play 50% of the time as 2 players or should we just go with the 7 wonders duel? We will eventually get both but finances will not allow it so I am slated for one purchase at the moment.

Any thoughts suggestions/comments welcomed.

Poll time! My answer would be 7W Duel. Unless you're the only gamers, there's a decent shot that someone else should already own 7W. Unless you have other games to tide you 2 through, 7W Duel is something you can play now.

Poll: Which 7 Wonders game should be purchased here?
Poll originally appears in this thread.....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1635896/i-want-get-game...
1. Given the OP's limited finances, which one for now?
7 Wonders
7W Duel
2. Later on when the other is an option, which option?
Just stick with 7 Wonders
Just stick with 7W Duel
Do get both of them
      18 answers
Poll created by ackmondual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronaldinho @boardspace.net
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Two points I'd make.

7 Wonders and 7 Wonders Duel are very different games, despite the shared "engine."

7 Wonders is, for me, a strictly 3 player game. It's deepest at that player count (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/754061/advanced-strategy-gui...). 7 Wonders Duel obviously plays only with 2.

Sure, 7 Wonders may be enjoyed with 2, or 5, or 7. But in those cases you could just play any drafting game with a civilization theme, because you won't be getting what makes that game brilliant. With 7 Wonders Duel, you'll get what makes it great every time you play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.