Subject: Require build capability for tech research rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
In the video game you can't research tech for units you can't build.

Variant: If a tech card has unit icons, it cannot be researched unless you are capable of building at least one of those unit types.

This rule would have the effect of restricting the purchase of tech cards just for their minor values, and would impose ordering constraints on actions when you want to tech up to Archons etc. Might also help new players by restricting their choices.

A possible variant of the variant is to also allow research if you have an actual unit of that type (since starting forces may include advanced units).

Mostly I'm suggesting it for the fluff value, but I'd like to know if you think it would have a big effect on the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, but would never use it. Newbies don't need an extra rule to remember. Often time a person will want to build a building and research that tech on a turn. With the token placement system, it's possible they'd need to flip research first because it's their only option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would have much impact either way, but adding an extra rule, purely for thematic purposes, wouldn't be a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.