Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Hands in the Sea» Forums » Rules

Subject: More questions, winning a battle as a defender and Fortification card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
Avatar
Am enjoying another solo run through and have come up with a couple more questions I am not sure about. Any help would be much appreciated.

1/ Winning a battle as a defender. If Rome starts a battle and on the 4th battle round it is Carthage's turn (So Rome will not get another chance to add cards) the battle strength track is at red 2 (Rome winning), Carthage adds 3 strength to the battle so the track swings to blue 1.

On Rome's next turn the battle ends. Is that a win for the defending Carthage, or is it a draw?

From the rules "In a land battle, if the defender has an advantage in military strength of 1 or more at the start of the defender's round, then the defender wins the battle and retains control of the location." Emphasis as per the rules.

In this case the defender has an advantage in military strength of 1 or more but it is not the start of their round. I presume then that although they have the military advantage the result is a draw.

2/ Fortification card. When playing a Fortification card during a battle do you place a fortification marker on the location? It doesn't mention you can in the rule book, but in the companion guide (7.2 example of field battle draw) in round 3 of the example the roman players adds a fortification card to the battle and places a fortification marker on the location. It doesn't mention paying the 3 silver cost?

I presume when playing the fortification card during a battle it gives you 1 strength in defense only (you do not place a fortification marker), then when playing the fortification card (along with relevant location card) and paying 3 silver (not during a battle) you get to place a fortification marker. Is this correct? and the example wrong?

Thanks for any help you might have. Still really enjoying the game!

Cheers
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Manhattan Reject wrote:
Am enjoying another solo run through and have come up with a couple more questions I am not sure about. Any help would be much appreciated.

1/ Winning a battle as a defender. If Rome starts a battle and on the 4th battle round it is Carthage's turn (So Rome will not get another chance to add cards) the battle strength track is at red 2 (Rome winning), Carthage adds 3 strength to the battle so the track swings to blue 1.

On Rome's next turn the battle ends. Is that a win for the defending Carthage, or is it a draw?

From the rules "In a land battle, if the defender has an advantage in military strength of 1 or more at the start of the defender's round, then the defender wins the battle and retains control of the location." Emphasis as per the rules.

In this case the defender has an advantage in military strength of 1 or more but it is not the start of their round. I presume then that although they have the military advantage the result is a draw.


Correct, the result is a draw. See "Draws" on p. 15.

Oops, I misreaed that as "grey 1" instead of "blue 1". No, the defender wins.

Quote:
2/ Fortification card. When playing a Fortification card during a battle do you place a fortification marker on the location? It doesn't mention you can in the rule book, but in the companion guide (7.2 example of field battle draw) in round 3 of the example the roman players adds a fortification card to the battle and places a fortification marker on the location. It doesn't mention paying the 3 silver cost?

I presume when playing the fortification card during a battle it gives you 1 strength in defense only (you do not place a fortification marker), then when playing the fortification card (along with relevant location card) and paying 3 silver (not during a battle) you get to place a fortification marker. Is this correct? and the example wrong?

Thanks for any help you might have. Still really enjoying the game!

Cheers

You are correct, you do NOT place a fortification marker if you play the card to reinforce a battle. That's a mistake in the example. See the restriction on fortifying locations in 5.1.3
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
Avatar
Thanks Daniel. Really enjoying the game!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil S. Stein
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
Manhattan Reject wrote:
Am enjoying another solo run through and have come up with a couple more questions I am not sure about. Any help would be much appreciated.

1/ Winning a battle as a defender. If Rome starts a battle and on the 4th battle round it is Carthage's turn (So Rome will not get another chance to add cards) the battle strength track is at red 2 (Rome winning), Carthage adds 3 strength to the battle so the track swings to blue 1.

On Rome's next turn the battle ends. Is that a win for the defending Carthage, or is it a draw?

From the rules "In a land battle, if the defender has an advantage in military strength of 1 or more at the start of the defender's round, then the defender wins the battle and retains control of the location." Emphasis as per the rules.

In this case the defender has an advantage in military strength of 1 or more but it is not the start of their round. I presume then that although they have the military advantage the result is a draw.


Correct, the result is a draw. See "Draws" on p. 15.


We had this same question during a game today. We played it that the defender won the battle. The thinking was that the defender gets a home field advantage and thus one uncontested round to add strength. But this is not the case I guess.

I'd change the text in the "Draws" rule then as it states that a draw only happens when the marker is in the grey 0 or 1 spot on the battle track. If the defender uses his/her final round to add to his/her strength, it may not be the case that the marker is in the grey 0 or 1 space. So change the "Draws" text to allow the marker to be in the defenders space or explicitly state elsewhere that the defender cannot add to his/her strength in a battle on the final uncontested round of a battle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had the chance to read the rulebook yet but is this discussion actually more clear than the rulebook? The battle threads have left me confused. Here's to hoping the rulebook clarifies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
philsstein wrote:
djberg96 wrote:
Manhattan Reject wrote:
Am enjoying another solo run through and have come up with a couple more questions I am not sure about. Any help would be much appreciated.

1/ Winning a battle as a defender. If Rome starts a battle and on the 4th battle round it is Carthage's turn (So Rome will not get another chance to add cards) the battle strength track is at red 2 (Rome winning), Carthage adds 3 strength to the battle so the track swings to blue 1.

On Rome's next turn the battle ends. Is that a win for the defending Carthage, or is it a draw?

From the rules "In a land battle, if the defender has an advantage in military strength of 1 or more at the start of the defender's round, then the defender wins the battle and retains control of the location." Emphasis as per the rules.

In this case the defender has an advantage in military strength of 1 or more but it is not the start of their round. I presume then that although they have the military advantage the result is a draw.


Correct, the result is a draw. See "Draws" on p. 15.


We had this same question during a game today. We played it that the defender won the battle. The thinking was that the defender gets a home field advantage and thus one uncontested round to add strength. But this is not the case I guess.

I'd change the text in the "Draws" rule then as it states that a draw only happens when the marker is in the grey 0 or 1 spot on the battle track. If the defender uses his/her final round to add to his/her strength, it may not be the case that the marker is in the grey 0 or 1 space. So change the "Draws" text to allow the marker to be in the defenders space or explicitly state elsewhere that the defender cannot add to his/her strength in a battle on the final uncontested round of a battle.


No, I made a mistake. The defender would win the battle since it was in "blue 1" space.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
I haven't had the chance to read the rulebook yet but is this discussion actually more clear than the rulebook? The battle threads have left me confused. Here's to hoping the rulebook clarifies.


Very sorry about that.

BTW, I've updated the "Clarifications and Errata" post that updates the "Winning as the Defender" section.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil S. Stein
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:

No, I made a mistake. The defender would win the battle since it was in "blue 1" space.


Ooh, thanks for that update! That changes the end battle a fair bit. The offense will have to try to overkill at the end so as to not lose after his last battle round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.