$30.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection» Forums » Rules

Subject: Non-Player British Action Determination rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please be patient as I again try to assimilate this game's rules for non-players. I'm playing the long scenario as the Patriots.

Jacques Turgot is the Card. The Patriots rallied and they used Partisans to destroy a British Regular in New York.

(NOTE: Am I right in choosing to destroy a Regular? There were also Tories and Indian War Parties there, but the rule said I can choose ANY Royalist piece.)

Now the British are the second eligible. The Event would have no effect, so they proceed down the flowchart. There are less than 10 Regulars on the board, so they muster.

1. I randomly pick North Carolina, because six Regulars there will shift that 2 population colony from Rebel to Royalist control.

(QUESTION: if there were two eligible colonies, and one was neutral with the other one Rebel controlled, would the non-Player British choose the Rebel controlled because it would cause the greater swing in population control between the two sides? Or would it randomly decide between the two?)

2. I finally grasped that the maximum number of British Regulars that they can place on any one Muster turn is six. But there is no limit to the number of Tories, so I proceed to place them until I either run out of Available Tories, or I reach four spaces, right?

3. I place two Tories with the newly place Regulars in North Carolina. So far I have spent only one Resource, despite buying Regulars and Tories there, right?

4. I then begin placing more Tories, prioritizing to take the most control. I end up putting two each in Connecticut-Rhode Island (adjacent to Regulars in Boston), Virginia (which currently has just one Rebel fort), and South Carolina. I have now done four spaces and so stop, right?

5. I have spent a total of four British Resources, correct?

6. I would then proceed to Skirmish, but the only space that has British Regulars and Rebel pieces is North Carolina, and I cannot Skirmish there, because I Mustered there, correct? So no Skirmish.

7. Instead, I do British Naval Pressure. It's before TOA, so I roll for resources and get one.

Does that all sound right?

Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Please be patient as I again try to assimilate this game's rules for non-players. I'm playing the long scenario as the Patriots.

Jacques Turgot is the Card. The Patriots rallied and they used Partisans to destroy a British Regular in New York.

(NOTE: Am I right in choosing to destroy a Regular? There were also Tories and Indian War Parties there, but the rule said I can choose ANY Royalist piece.)

Yes; since the Patriots are a player Faction you're free to pick any Royalist unit.

If the Patriots had been a Non-player they would have gone for the War Parties instead, per the Partisans instruction in 8.5.1.

Quote:
Now the British are the second eligible. The Event would have no effect, so they proceed down the flowchart.

Which means that Patriot Resources are 0; otherwise the Event would be Effective - but NP British would still only select it if they already Control 5+ Cities (which I don't think they do, if it as early in the game as I suspect) and rolled 5+ on a D6.

Quote:
There are less than 10 Regulars on the board, so they muster.

1. I randomly pick North Carolina, because six Regulars there will shift that 2 population colony from Rebel to Royalist control.

(QUESTION: if there were two eligible colonies, and one was neutral with the other one Rebel controlled, would the non-Player British choose the Rebel controlled because it would cause the greater swing in population control between the two sides? Or would it randomly decide between the two?)

Decide randomly, as long as both spaces have the same Population (due to the "within each, first in highest Pop" at the end of the bullet). "Add Control" just means to add (British) Control where there were none before; it doesn't care about who had Control there before as long as it wasn't the British themselves.

The "(British)" is implied in this case because that's the only Control the British can add by placing their own pieces. (Contrast this with e.g. the Indian March instruction, which says to March "without adding Rebel Control" by moving too many pieces out of contested spaces.)

Quote:
2. I finally grasped that the maximum number of British Regulars that they can place on any one Muster turn is six. But there is no limit to the number of Tories, so I proceed to place them until I either run out of Available Tories, or I reach four spaces, right?

Correct.

Note that the Muster rule doesn't allow you to place just 1 Tory in a Neutral or Support space; if you Muster Tories in such a space, you have to place exactly 2 there. (Fortunately it is legal to not place any Tories at all in Muster spaces too, e.g., if you want to build a Fort or Reward Loyalty there.)

Quote:
3. I place two Tories with the newly place Regulars in North Carolina. So far I have spent only one Resource, despite buying Regulars and Tories there, right?

Correct. Muster is paid for per space, not per unit or unit type.

Quote:
4. I then begin placing more Tories, prioritizing to take the most control. I end up putting two each in Connecticut-Rhode Island (adjacent to Regulars in Boston), Virginia (which currently has just one Rebel fort), and South Carolina. I have now done four spaces and so stop, right?

You have indeed reached four spaces, but just to check - are there Tories with the British Regulars in Boston? (I.e., was that one of the HMS Russian Merchant spaces?) Otherwise Boston would be the second space to place Tories, per the "where Regulars are the only British units" priority. (North Carolina would still be the first one, of course.)

Quote:
5. I have spent a total of four British Resources, correct?

Correct.

Quote:
6. I would then proceed to Skirmish, but the only space that has British Regulars and Rebel pieces is North Carolina, and I cannot Skirmish there, because I Mustered there, correct? So no Skirmish.

Not yet; you have skipped the Muster bullet about placing a Fort or Rewarding Loyalty. That happens before the Special Activity.

Quote:
7. Instead, I do British Naval Pressure. It's before TOA, so I roll for resources and get one.

Does that all sound right?

Thanks.


Regards,
Oerjan
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you sincerely for your thorough answer. I know my post was a bit tedious, especially since you've probably answered similar questions a thousand times by now. You were right on all your assumptions about the board situation.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Quintana
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure if there is a difference between the 1st and 2nd editions but (for question 2) I thought that when placing Tories it was up to two can be placed not exactly two.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
This was changed in the recent reprint, yes.

Regards,
Oerjan
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.