Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
Game Night Host
badge
Game Night Host
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

My group is about to start this and I'm curious how long each game takes to play. We've played basic Pandemic before and I seem to remember it taking...90 minutes? Do the further months take longer to play? I'm trying to schedule out each session and figure out how long it'll take.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
The gameplay is basically the same length as a regular Pandemic game (for us, 45-60 mins). However, the discussion on dealing with setup and things that the Legacy deck throws at you, as well as deciding which upgrades to take after any game do add more time. I think my group finished most games setup-to-teardown in roughly 90 mins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
It's quite variable.

Sometimes, you can lose really quickly. (-8

A few months are considerably more eventful than the others, but it would be a spoiler to say which.

90 minutes including setup and teardown felt about right for most of the games we played, but there were a couple of games we lost in under half an hour, and on one memorable occasion we took more than fifteen minutes on a single especially critical move.

My advice would be to budget 3 hours for a couple of games (if you play two games consecutively, you don't have to spend time packing everything away then bringing it out again) but have some half-hour games you're happy to play if you're done more quickly, or if the first game of the evening takes two hours so you don't want to start another.

Fortunately, in our case, playing the occasional game of Hanabi was no hardship!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Berget
United States
Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
Game Night Host
badge
Game Night Host
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
It's quite variable.

Sometimes, you can lose really quickly. (-8

A few months are considerably more eventful than the others, but it would be a spoiler to say which.

90 minutes including setup and teardown felt about right for most of the games we played, but there were a couple of games we lost in under half an hour, and on one memorable occasion we took more than fifteen minutes on a single especially critical move.

My advice would be to budget 3 hours for a couple of games (if you play two games consecutively, you don't have to spend time packing everything away then bringing it out again) but have some half-hour games you're happy to play if you're done more quickly, or if the first game of the evening takes two hours so you don't want to start another.

Fortunately, in our case, playing the occasional game of Hanabi was no hardship!

Yeah, one person of our group can only stay for about 3-4 hours, so I'm hoping to get in 2 games back to back.
And Hanabi is a great suggestion. We play that quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice would be that it's more important to play regularly than to play large numbers of games per session. Playing two different months in one session already means having to learn two variants in quick succession; playing more significantly increases the risk of rules errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Agreed, there can be quite a bit to learn if you play two months in one sitting, though plenty of people are happy to learn multiple entire new games, so experiences will vary.

Conversely, however, if you lose your first game of a month, there's a strong urge to have another go straight away!

Besides, there will usually be a delay of a few minutes between games while someone puts the kettle on. In the UK, at least. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruben jannes
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my opinion it also depends on the amount of players. If you play with 2 then an hour is more then enough. Going with 4 players then plan for 90 minutes.

I would advise against playing 2 games back to back. In my opinion it will take away a bit of the fun. We are approaching the final games and every time we play I do want to play again right afterwards, but I restrain myself from doing so. Savor the moment, rethink strategies after defeat, after victory learn the new rules and think about the next game etc.

It is an amazing game, so take your time for it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
We rattled through the whole thing, two players, with a total of 15 games played (plus one vanilla Pandemic to teach the wife the basics), on a Saturday evening followed by the Sunday afternoon and evening. Kept the game set up, didn't faff about with avoiding the legacy elements and had a sheet of paper on which we wrote out the big changes we thought we might easily forget.

Really enjoyed it, nabbed some of the bits to upgrade our vanilla Pandemic, tossed the rest in the recycling and would happily never play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Really, really depends.

The set up is more involved because the group has to make a lot more choices (which characters to play, what funded events to include, where to start, and so on), and that's on top of opening and digesting new rules and other things.

But the game itself tends to be shorter after the first session. I can't tell you why without spoiling the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We spend more time going through the legacy deck and applying/understanding new rules each game than we actually spend playing the game. Perhaps this will change when we have more interesting decisions to make mid-game (we're only through April).

It takes us just over an hour to set everything up (including new rules) and play a month the first time. Just less than an hour if we don't have any new things to add (because we lost the month and are playing it again for the second time).

To us, we're not sure it {legacy} is worth it at this point. It's fun, there have been interesting mechanics and twists in the story added, sure. But like I mentioned, we spend more time reading and applying and trying to understand new rules than actually using them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.