4 Posts

Strike of the Eagle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Defend Area vs Fortifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wiik
msg tools
mb
Maybe it's just me, but I get a sense of artificiality in some of the rules. This gives me a sense that there's a better game hidden within Strike of the Eagle than the current rules suggest. I understand there was an effort to simplify the original version of the game.

Case in point: Defend Area has the same effects as Fortifications but unlike Forts they apply to an attack from any direction whereas Fortification's benefits only pertain when all attackers come thru Fortified sides. Presuming that 'Defend Area' represents entrenchments, yet since they apply to all sides, this suggests such entrenchments are superior to whatever Fortifications are meant to represent.

Perhaps the Fortifications aren't all that functional. Maybe they are ancient or run-down. But maybe they are left from WW1 or at least somewhat modern and still functional. But in that case I would think they are better than entrenchments, at least in the direction they are facing

I understand the game aspect where Defend Area orders can't be revealed until combat is declared. Still, some mechanic that reflects that Fortifications are better than Defend Area might be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The defend order represents a degree of planning associated with a battle. These could include temporary fortification most mostly a battle plan, organization and readiness. Do not underestimate the effect of being ready.

Lookout is a boring job and many start to take it less seriously after a week of nothing.

There are a few things you are missing.

First fortresses and many fortified areas do have the fortification from all direction.

The one sided fortifications make sense from a thematic perspective because many fortification are only effective from one direction. For example a river crossing only helps you if the enemy is crossing the river. Same can be said about a trench line.

Orders are useful and in short supply. Fortification are free bonuses.

Finally, defense and fortifications stack. They each reduce the casualty amount by one for the defender. A fortress which also has a defense order is a tough nut to crack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wiik
msg tools
mb
After more closely examining the map I'm inclined to temper my criticism. Most of the smaller fortifications are clearly part of a line of such, where being outflanked would for the most part only occur if another part of the 'line' had been broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arunas Rudis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was mentioned, do not remember where, that fortifications on one or two sides represent front line defenses made by Germans in WWI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.