Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cassandra Competition

This is not a werewolf game but it is bit of a competition with a prize for the winning team. The winning team will get to split 100 GG evenly among themselves.

The point of this competion is to make sure that every game entry on Cassandra is 100% complete and accurate.

The Competion will start on May 14th. (That will give me time to code some pages and stuff to help with the competion.)

Rules:
Anybody can sign up to play. You will be given Edit abilities just before the competition starts (if you had edit abilities they have been downgraded so you can't get a head start on the competition.)

Your team will get 1 point for each game you "certifiy" as being complete and accurate. (I will code the ability to certify a game page in the next two weeks.)

You can steal a teams point if you find and fix an error in a game they have certified as being complete and accurate.

There can be any number of teams, and any number of players on a team, but remember the prize is divided evenly between all of you.

The teams need to be finalized by May 11th. By this point please have a team name selected, a team captian, and a list of who is on your team.

Feel free to sign up to play in this competition with out having team members. You can use this thread to negotiate teams.

Once the game has started I will open cassy chat rooms for each team so you can coordinate who will review which games.

The game will end when all the games have been completed and confirmed.

You can not edit a game until you "claim" the game. Once you have claimed it you have 24hrs to finish filling in the data before another player can challenge the accuracy of your data.

After 24hrs any player (not sure if I want to limit that or not) can challenge the accuracy of your data. Only one player can make a challenge at a time.

Once daily (time to be determined) I will examine all challenges. If the challenge is valid then the challenger will be moved to the "claimed" spot and will have 24hrs to fix the error. After that anybody else can again challenge the data. Only the person who was the last to claim/edit the game will be the one that gets credit for their team for that game.

I have created a page (viewable after the game starts) with a list of all the games and who has claimed them (if anyone) and the challenge status (deadline for completion, challengable, or who submitted a challenge).

You can not challenge a game that your own team has claimed with in the first 24hrs that it is challengable. After the first 24hrs that a game is up for challenge, you or your team mate can then challenge it (to claim it again) if you know of something that is incomplete that the other teams have yet to catch.

All challenges will be posted to the thread.

-- Since I will be coding the ability to do this in the coming weeks details may change slightly. Also please bring up any questions as they may help me code this better.

The Teams
The Pineapple Express
Lardarse
Shugyosha
Team Ninja
Rukasu
Nykkel
Avin
Praisechick
Crew-boy
ImTheCrew
Down
redhawke
Poker Joker
RoyalFlush
The Cursed
seanp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
Avin
ImTheCrew
Lardarse
nykkel
Praisechick
redhawke
RoyalFlush
Rukasu
seanp
Shugyosha

10 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1635...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This is a great idea. I wish people would all buckle down and get all the complete info done. I'm now ready to not hesisitate in calling out names. Poodle and Kima both have games that need completed. I know I have a few lately.

I've been trying for months to get Slyde to furnish me the House on Demon Island info.

I hate things being messy and incomplete. If we have this resource we should maximize it and tidy it up.

I hope this competition helps. I'll augment it by being an ass and coming after mods of incompleted games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
i'm sure you'll run into problems when there are games w/ multiple factions and designating the winners properly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah. Like the one I recently did. I'm going to make the Spartans good and all the others evil.

Or with the multi-faction games you could just do an "other".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkromm wrote:
i'm sure you'll run into problems when there are games w/ multiple factions and designating the winners properly

True, that is one of the flaws of the system as designed, but I'm not sure of a good way to deal with it other than the "other" category. Just have to do your best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Anything to help Cassandra.

Plus the chance of - why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dbmurph22 wrote:
Yeah. Like the one I recently did. I'm going to make the Spartans good and all the others evil.

So you're taking a "history is written by the winners" approach?

Quote:
Or with the multi-faction games you could just do an "other".

The problem with an other is that it doesn't factor into lots of the statistics. But actually that might be a plus, because multifaction games are usually more random and each faction has a lower chance of winning than in a two faction game, so if you play a lot of multifaction games that are marked with other it won't unfairly lower your % wins.

I'm quite happy with my % win as good statistic (although not so happy about my % win as evil statistic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
dkromm wrote:

True, that is one of the flaws of the system as designed, but I'm not sure of a good way to deal with it other than the "other" category. Just have to do your best.

We can make custom orders... How about custom teams? More than just good, evil, and other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Royalflush wrote:
Melsana wrote:
dkromm wrote:

We can make custom orders... How about custom teams? More than just good, evil, and other?

I could add a field for that, but I don't see how I could associate it with the winner field. So you might as well just use the comment field by that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pragmatically turning whims into principles
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100 geekgold. I an SO in. If I register a couple alternate accounts and put one on each team, will you guys get mad at me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MandaBug
United States
Starkville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up on Cassandra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melsana - is there anyway to have an option for designating victors separately rather than identifying a team? We have now had many games where VCs can be achieved even by people not on the winning side, and it distorts the figures of good/evil to lump them together.

For most of my games, I would really like to be able to put 'victor' in a column by the player name as I do for roles and sides, and address each individually, with an N/A option for 'which side won' if no team actually got the prize.

Particularly in a game with neutrals, where some neutrals achieve VCs, I really hate to have to falsely redesignate them good or evil to coincide with whichever main team 'won'.

J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Javal wrote:
melsana - is there anyway to have an option for designating victors separately rather than identifying a team? We have now had many games where VCs can be achieved even by people not on the winning side, and it distorts the figures of good/evil to lump them together.

For most of my games, I would really like to be able to put 'victor' in a column by the player name as I do for roles and sides, and address each individually, with an N/A option for 'which side won' if no team actually got the prize.

Particularly in a game with neutrals, where some neutrals achieve VCs, I really hate to have to falsely redesignate them good or evil to coincide with whichever main team 'won'.

J

I'll look into that as an idea... I'll have to see how feasable it might be given the current frame work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just typed up a nice little message and then my computer froze.

I've been coding up the pages to make the little competition possible, and in the process have created some new rules. Please let me know what you think of the rules, and if you have any other suggestions for running this little game.

New Rules

You can not edit a game until you "claim" the game. Once you have claimed it you have 24hrs to finish filling in the data before another player can challenge the accuracy of your data.

After 24hrs any player (not sure if I want to limit that or not) can challenge the accuracy of your data. Only one player can make a challenge at a time.

Once daily (time to be determined) I will examine all challenges. If the challenge is valid then the challenger will be moved to the "claimed" spot and will have 24hrs to fix the error. After that anybody else can again challenge the data. Only the person who was the last to claim/edit the game will be the one that gets credit for their team for that game.

I have created a page (viewable after the game starts) with a list of all the games and who has claimed them (if anyone) and the challenge status (deadline for completion, challengable, or who submitted a challenge).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there a limit on the number of games claimable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds very cool, and if it wasn't such a huge timesink, I would in fact welcome the opportunity to assist.
(I've been told off before, and tried to fix my games up but there's probably still some data missing. Kudos if you find anything. But if I find out you've incorrectly modified my winners and losers...... :evil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lardarse wrote:
Is there a limit on the number of games claimable?

No, but you will only have 24hrs to work on them before someone could steal them (if you didn't get it complete in that time) so don't bite off more than you can handle.

I think I may make it so that only the other team can challenge a game's completeness/accuracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluebehir wrote:
This sounds very cool, and if it wasn't such a huge timesink, I would in fact welcome the opportunity to assist.
(I've been told off before, and tried to fix my games up but there's probably still some data missing. Kudos if you find anything. But if I find out you've incorrectly modified my winners and losers...... :evil

Well the more people we get to join the less of a time sink it will be for each individual. You know... many hands make light work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F5
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have anything in mind as far as teams and such, but I'm willing to help out with this. So I've signed up. Have often felt like prodding some moderators to get them to update the information in Cassandra... now's the chance to just fix it myself. Don't care much about there being a prize, just want the information to be correct.

So, who wants to team up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question for Players:

What sort of notifications would you like to see.

Things that can be notified:
When a player makes a claim.
When a player makes a challenge.
When the mod accepts or denys a challenge.
(If you think of something else I'll see if it is possible)

Ways that something can be notified:
On the Cassy Competition Page (currently shows claims and challenges)
In the Game thread - Cassy could post a message when one or all of the above things occurs.
In a GeekMail - Cassy could geek mail the affected player(s) when one or all of the above things occurs.
In Cassy Chat - Same as geek mail only location would be different.

So what do you guys think? What would be most useful, what would help keep you motivated to continue working on the games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody going to answer my questions?

On another note... Jmilum is going to help moderate, so the accepting or denying of challenges might happen more than just once a day, but could happen when ever one of us is able to take a look at the challenges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F5
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
Question for Players:

What sort of notifications would you like to see.

Things that can be notified:
When a player makes a claim.
When a player makes a challenge.
When the mod accepts or denys a challenge.
(If you think of something else I'll see if it is possible)

Ways that something can be notified:
On the Cassy Competition Page (currently shows claims and challenges)
In the Game thread - Cassy could post a message when one or all of the above things occurs.
In a GeekMail - Cassy could geek mail the affected player(s) when one or all of the above things occurs.
In Cassy Chat - Same as geek mail only location would be different.

So what do you guys think? What would be most useful, what would help keep you motivated to continue working on the games?
I think I'd favor just having a page in Cassandra that lists which games are marked as complete (checked), claimed, or challenged. Maybe an occasional count of the number of games in each category could be posted here.

But then again, I'm not too concerned with the competition side of this, I just want all the data to be correct, because I'm fussy about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hey guys don't forget I want your team names, captians, and player list by friday. You can be a team of one if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Nykkel wrote:
But then again, I'm not too concerned with the competition side of this, I just want all the data to be correct, because I'm fussy about that.

Ditto!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.